Article Rookie Saints offensive linemen Will Clapp, Rick Leonard in different places at this point in camp (1 Viewer)

Rick Leonard seem to have all the physical tools to play the position at a high level... he just need to get his mind right. We need a good young swing tackle behind Armstead and Ram, so I'm hoping we didn't waste a pick.

Rick's 6-7 311, which is Strief size. I guess they saw a frame and enough foot speed they thought they could build around. Remember Zach was marginal as a draftee, wasn't impressive at all except his size. So I think they're counting on Leonard getting stronger and learning technique.

Um, can we let the guy play an actual game, maybe a season before we say "everyone saw this coming.....when it does come..."

Pardon me if I defer to the guys who know 1000x more and have their livelihoods on the line rather than those that have FAR limited information and zero actual stake in this.

Exactly, it is way to early to know what is going to happen. If Leonard gets cut then, yes, we missed on him. If he makes the practice squad that is fine and we will see.

Happy to hear good things about Clapp, I really think he has a good chance to make the team...

All I'm reading into Rousher's comments is that Clapp is having a good camp and appears to be a good investment for a 7th round pick and that Leonard is a developmental player.

Take it a step further. (Armstead, Peat, Unger, Warford, and Ramzcyk are the starters, so lets set them aside for this discussion)

Leonard is in his 3rd year ever playing OL. His competition to make the team THIS year are:

Bushrod
Ola
LeRibeous
Turner
Clapp
Tom
Tiller
Wozniak

We're only likely to keep 8 or 9 offensive lineman. That means only 3 or 4 roster spots available. The deck is definitely stacked against him this year. That was obvious from from the beginning. For him to use this camp to learn how to play OL and to learn how to be a professional football player isn't a bad thing. It's pretty much what you would expect from a guy with as little experience as he has. (For this to work, you do have to disregard that he was a 4th round pick though)

Rausher throwing the "work ethic" comments out there could simply be him trying to motivate Leonard, or it could be for the benefit of other teams who might be interested in sniping him off waivers. Who knows?

Never heard a coach get that deep and personal into a player's performance. Really, that's getting too personal, and I don't think Payton, Loomis, NFLPA, or Leonard's agent would approve. Don't get me wrong, the more I learn the more I like it. I just find it a little outside the norm.

Probably some tuff love to grease the skids a little bit. PC culture adherents may not like it but if it works then great. If not, then he's a cut and all the "wasted pick" commentators will join in with their analysis.

I like Leonard progress for only being a line an for 2 years. It's not an easy position and he definitely making strides in his development. Just gonna take a year for our staff to refine and mold him. It took Streif 5 years to crack the line-up. So... Leonard got plenty of time.

I don't think anybody liked the Leonard pick.....not necessarily the player, but where he was taken. If he doesn't make the team, that was a complete fail (draft pick-wise).

Never heard a coach get that deep and personal into a player's performance. Really, that's getting too personal, and I don't think Payton, Loomis, NFLPA, or Leonard's agent would approve. Don't get me wrong, the more I learn the more I like it. I just find it a little outside the norm.

Are you serious with this? This is mild in comparison to what he's probably hearing on a daily basis from the coaches.

I just don't see Leonard making the final 53 this year, but do believe he should be an easy 'hide' on the practice squad. His selection, because of potential or otherwise, was frankly a surprise to me in the 4th round, but clearly the coaches saw something they liked. We are deep on the OL so keeping a guy like Leonard on the Practice Squad is not a bad thing.

Boils down to a key question, do you hide him or cut him if he's still overwhelmed?

Wouldn't be the first time in recent times we drafted an OL drafted fairly high, then have the pick be seen as a waste for a coupla years. Jon Stinchcomb was on the shelf his first three years either buried deep on the depth chart or injured until year 4, which coincided with Payton's arrival. Ended up being a regular starter and was voted to the Pro Bowl once.

Boils down to a key question, do you hide him or cut him if he's still overwhelmed?
Can he play Special Teams? It will be a lot to keep all 7 draft picks on the 53-roster just to give them a year or two to develop. I would risk waivers but in recent years (if ever) SP has not risked his draft picks to waivers.

Leonard:
Very much hope I’m wrong and he’s the next Evans or Nicks type talent but it baffles my mind we took him so early. Seems he could have been had as a 7th or an UDFA.

Apparently there were teams trying to draft Leonard in the 5th round .... thats why we took him in the 4th ...

Are you serious with this? This is mild in comparison to what he's probably hearing on a daily basis from the coaches.

True,,, just saying that embarrassing players in public is pretty rare, and Rousher will hear about it.

I doubt it. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Depends on the player, some would be highly embarrassed and PO'd. Rookies fighting to make the team probably won't retaliate. A diva player would go up the chain to complain about his "brand" being damaged. Coaches are usually very careful to soft pedal player performance, but Rousher really blasted Leonard. Just saying how unusual it is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom