Roommates (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
so i think the nostalgia of the 'college friends/careers' thread has prompted this musing:
after college did you have roommates?
roommates seem simultaneously a very natural and yet very bizarre notion

i moved to NYC right after, so there was no question about sharing (very small) space
but after NY i don't think i even thought about having a roommate
but i do know people who roommated well into their adult lives

anyway, are you cool sharing space with regular folk?

I had roommates after college.

My immediate post-college time was spent on Music Row in Nashville at a record label. I had a friend from college who was also there and we got a three-bedroom duplex. He had a very steady girlfriend and was rarely there. Then our other friend's cousin was moving to town and we had an extra bedroom so she moved in. She was kind of a squirrely, quiet girl but we got along. She had a ferret, which is probably a separate thread. I think that situation lasted about six months.

Then I went to law school and had a roommate there too. But he was one my buddies from college (I was at Tulane, he was at Loyola law) and it just made sense to live together. We got along very well and there were no issues. We actually lived in that house for four years, so it included my first year after graduating law school. Then he left and another buddy of mine from growing up moved in. That was also perfectly fine and good. After that I bought a one-bedroom place that I lived in by myself.

I never had a purely 'random' roommate, like from a message board or want-ads. I know people do that but I had the luxury of having friends that also needed places. I guess my friend's cousin situation was sort of random, I didn't know her at all. But i don't recall it being all that weird or unpleasant.

I had at least 1 roommate all the way up until I got married. Still hang out with them regularly some 20+ years later. At some point we became family. I've been very fortunate in my life making good friends. I have a bunch like that.....more like family than friends.

I had a roommate in boarding school and then during my first 2 years in undergrad. Got an apartment by myself after my sophomore year and then moved in with my girlfriend when we were in grad school in TX. After I finished my MS I had a highschool friend who shared a house with me when I was getting my MBA.

After I wrapped that up I moved into my mom's house for a few months while I was figuring out what to do and where to go and ended up moving in with my then girlfriend/now wife from there. 25 years and she still hasn't kicked me out for my crackers in bed.

I guess I lived with girls more than guy roommates which worked out fine. Girls are neater and far better to sleep with.

I have 3 roommates now. I dont mind the dog so much, but the wife and kid, smh....

I had roommates only during undergrad (minus the last semester), then it has been my wife ever since...

Interesting timing for this thread....just today I was telling someone a story about my Venezuelan roommate from freshman college days...hadn't seen or talked about him in years. Then during lunch, I was IM'ing the daughter of another old roommate...they now live in Southern Cali and I was checking on their post NFCCG attitude. I was greatly relieved to hear the entire family have remained huge Who Dats....

That's funny and all, but I can assure you living with my mom when she was single in the early 90s was not a bad place to have to settle for a few months. She's not like the other moms.

That's funny and all, but I can assure you living with my mom when she was single in the early 90s was not a bad place to have to settle for a few months. She's not like the other moms.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom