Roommates (1 Viewer)

That's funny and all, but I can assure you living with my mom when she was single in the early 90s was not a bad place to have to settle for a few months. She's not like the other moms.

I'm sure that didn't sound gross as you were typing it. At least, I hope.

Closest I ever came to living alone was summer after Katrina, I moved into a 3 bedroom place and first month my roommates were out of town so I was there alone. Otherwise, I had roommates the whole time until my wife (then fiance) got our place without a roommate, but then she was there. So yeah, always had roommates.

I'm sure that didn't sound gross as you were typing it. At least, I hope.

Funny.

Big house. Good eats. No rules and plenty of space to spread my debaucherous wings before entering adulthood.

It was sort of like living at an all inclusive waterfront resort only I didn't have to tip or pay extra for guests.

Closest I ever came to living alone was summer after Katrina, I moved into a 3 bedroom place and first month my roommates were out of town so I was there alone. Otherwise, I had roommates the whole time until my wife (then fiance) got our place without a roommate, but then she was there. So yeah, always had roommates.
As I was writing the OP, I realized that I’ve technically never lived alone
There was a year in NYC when my gf was teaching in Rotterdam, but I was on tour tons; so there were probably only a few stretches of 2-3 weeks when I was in our apt by myself
Otherwise it’s mostly been cohabitation

Funny.

Big house. Good eats. No rules and plenty of space to spread my debaucherous wings before entering adulthood.

It was sort of like living at an all inclusive waterfront resort only I didn't have to tip or pay extra for guests.
Marginally better

Most of my roommate experiences were pretty bad. The best one was when I roomed with a guy who was a bouncer at Escapades in Baton Rouge

that reminds me. after katrina, my wife, cat, and two birds crashed my sister-in-law’s apartment... with my mother-in-law, a friend of hers, 2 german shepherds, their owner, my sil’s weird looking dog, oh and her three roommates, and one of their boyfriends (oddly enough, right after she noticed that she got knocked up, not sure how that happens). 1200sq apartment. i slept on the floor with my cat.

that reminds me. after katrina, my wife, cat, and two birds crashed my sister-in-law’s apartment... with my mother-in-law, a friend of hers, 2 german shepherds, their owner, my sil’s weird looking dog, oh and her three roommates, and one of their boyfriends (oddly enough, right after she noticed that she got knocked up, not sure how that happens). 1200sq apartment. i slept on the floor with my cat.
there's at least 3 but potentially 7 (not including animals) that the bolded 'she' might refer to

Never had a roommate, I moved in with my girlfriend after HS then got married and eventually divorced. Lived on my own, met my wife, she came home with me the night of our first date and never left. Been married just over 19 years.

Does my now wife count? haha.

After college, I lived on my own. I probably should have moved in with someone to save money, but I did enjoy being on my own. Other times, I'd be lonely as hell.

I kinda wish I started out with a job near my home town, because my parents had a cottage on the property I could have lived in rent free, or even if they made me pay, it would have been cheap. They still rent it for cheap.

Last edited:
I kicked the roommate thing my sophomore year of college.
Speaking of college, I was pretty lucky that my freshman year my older roommate would often go out fishing or visiting friends out of town for the weekend. So, I often had the place to myself on weekends. Sophomore year, new room mate and that dude never left. He ended up dropping out. Not sure he was always going to class, or just couldn't hack engineering.

Junior year, new room mate and he had a GF at another school. She's visit, or he'd leave and visit. Second semester, his parents bought a cheap house in the area to rent, and he moved in. I never got a new room mate, so I had the dorm to myself that semester.

Senior year, new room mate, but a kid I knew from High School. He started dating a girl who lived off campus, so he was also gone a lot. Of course, I was busy a lot, so I wouldn't always be around myself.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom