Rooting Android tablet - noob question (1 Viewer)

jumpingoff

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I have an older "never hear of that brand before" tablet that I want to use just to play some games. It's still got Kit Kat on it (wrapped in some generic generic tech company's bloatware). I would like to wipe the thing and start with a blank slate sans manufacturer's software. Will rooting allow me to do this or is rooting just like installing multiple OS-es on your computer and booting to one or the other?

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Rooting would allow you to do that. But you will need to research and locate a ROM designed for your device.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

OP

jumpingoff

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming. There are a couple of walkthroughs online for this specific model so I know that something is out there that works.

OP

jumpingoff

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Actually there might not be a ROM it seems but there is a way to uninstall the apps I don't want. So it's kind of a win.

Brennan77

Bass Manager
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Actually there might not be a ROM it seems but there is a way to uninstall the apps I don't want. So it's kind of a win.
Uninstalling the bloat and switching to the Google now launcher might give you most of the desired effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

OP

jumpingoff

All-Pro
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Another weird thing is that it has an SD card slot but unless I root it, the OS (the wrapper, I assume) won't allow access to the card at all. Weird.

Denzien

May contain 10% Ethanol
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm going to do. Another weird thing is that it has an SD card slot but unless I root it, the OS (the wrapper, I assume) won't allow access to the card at all. Weird.
That's nuts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom