Roster analysis: Saints have difficult decisions at several key positions by Nick Underhill (1 Viewer)

jeromed1936

Veteran
Reaction score
HOUSTON -- A lot of spots on the roster are already locked up. We know Drew Brees, Mark Ingram and Delvin Breaux are going to be on the team. But big questions remain at other spots. Which running backs make the team? Can the Saints figure out a way to keep both of the young corners who are making pushes for roster spots? What about kicker? Long snapper? How many receivers make the team? There are several decisions remaining for the coaching staff, and many of those mysteries will be solved during the final three preseason games. Until those issues are sorted out, here’s a look at how things appear from this view heading into Saturday’s preseason game against the Houston Texans:

Roster Analysis

Geaxsaints

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Definitely agree with his point that the RB battle seems to be Lasco vs Hightower and Murphy vs Cadet, rather than Hightower as a lock and Lasco vs Murphy vs Cadet. I feel that Lasco has the potential and the physical build to be a premier back in the league, just needs to learn to hold on to the ball!

BlackNGoldblood

Cruisin' for a Bruisin'
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like how he has Coleman over Tommylee. Hopefully Tommylee can show up in these last preseason games as well and win a spot. Think he could make it to practice squad if he doesn't make 53?

SAINTSFAN

Contributor
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I don't like how he has Coleman over Tommylee. Hopefully Tommylee can show up in these last preseason games as well and win a spot. Think he could make it to practice squad if he doesn't make 53?
I think he could make it to the practice squad. There is not usually a ton of demand for 5'7" 168 pound WRs unless they really do well in the return game.

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
If Spiller didn't have money tied up with him I'd put he and Hightower on the cut list unless proven otherwise and have Lascoe as Ingram's primary along with Cadet and Murphy as the 3rd down passing guys.

Strief has 1 season where he played a full 16 games in addition to him getting older(more injuries), Armstead has never played a full 16. It's worrisome to think of a starting tackle getting injured or playing injured for a critical game. Lelito and Kelemete are both reserve level lineman that should be fighting for a roster spot. Our line situation is such a patchwork mess I don't know what the hell Payton should do. We need good depth at tackle and better starters on the interior. We need to acquire 2 starting guards and Peat should be preparing to play tackle because at some point this season he WILL play tackle.

Harper is a waste of a roster spot. Vaccaro plays 100% of the snaps at strong safety every season. Harper is as much of a liability in coverage as the typical linebacker. And it makes no sense to give up 25 to 30 pounds in run support by putting Harper in on obvious run downs over a linebacker. Cut Harper and keep one of the promising DB's.

We have a better chance of Garrett Grayson leading us to a Superbowl than Keenan Lewis being 100% healthy for the season and playing at 2013 levels. It's over. It's a pipe dream to think he is going to be at 2013 levels all the while you have to cut young guys like Crawley, Dixon, Harris, or Pruitt.

Geaxsaints

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
We're keeping Lasco and Tommylee.
Honestly, I hope this is the case. We all know that Murphy has big play ability in the return game, but his muffs and fumbles are not worth 1 or 2 return touchdowns a year. Lewis seems more sure handed and could contribute more to the offense.

bobad

Son of Adam
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I see Tomylee as Murphy's biggest threat. If we see Tommylee getting a lot of return work Saturday night, it tells me Murphy may be in jeopardy.

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Definitely agree with his point that the RB battle seems to be Lasco vs Hightower and Murphy vs Cadet, rather than Hightower as a lock and Lasco vs Murphy vs Cadet. I feel that Lasco has the potential and the physical build to be a premier back in the league, just needs to learn to hold on to the ball!
As it should be. 5 RBs is just too many and Cadet/Hightower will both likely be available to sign should they be cut. Hightower sat at home last year and Cadet was picked up by the Pats and then subsequently cut. So..they were available for a reason.

So why wouldn't you want your 7th round RB's from back to back years to prove they can be backups & ST's contributors?

Those 4 and a FB would be ideal because the other two should still be available should you need them during the season.

Yet...i can see a scenario of keeping 5 but it just doesn't make sense everytime i come back to the point that Hightower/Cadet aren't exactly going to be seeing their phones ring for employment. Both are a year older and a year past what would be their primes and are only serviceable backups at this point in either careers with little or no available potential that hasn't been tapped into.

The league is still a developmental league and Lasco/Murphy offer more upside.

If we did keep 5 I could see Lewis not making the cut and us only keeping 4 WR's to start the season. Which has happend before. We've gotten down to 53 and then kept certain players because we planned on being run heavy for the 1st game and then cut said player(s) and brought back a WR/skill position later.

FFT

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's great to see that the staff has some hard decisions to make. This is especially true for the CBs. The past few years we haven't had much to work with at that spot. I mean, they've had trouble simply fielding two capable starters the past few years. Our "depth" consisted of the Dixon twins and other various off brand players.

The front seven also looks a lot better. If you look at the depth chart you're not going to be blown away by big names but we seem to have more capable, athletic defenders than we've had in years.

Drew Brees could be looking at the best collection of pass catchers he's had in NOLA. The backfield has a really nice mix of reliable chain movers and versatile scat backs. A ton of potential there and a NFL caliber player will probably be cut.

The cause for pause as I see it is the O Line. We've been spoiled with good O Line play during SP's tenure. You have to go back quite a few years to find a unit that was flat out bad. I look at the O Line depth chart and just wonder if we have the horses.

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If Spiller didn't have money tied up with him I'd put he and Hightower on the cut list unless proven otherwise and have Lascoe as Ingram's primary along with Cadet and Murphy as the 3rd down passing guys.

Strief has 1 season where he played a full 16 games in addition to him getting older(more injuries), Armstead has never played a full 16. It's worrisome to think of a starting tackle getting injured or playing injured for a critical game. Lelito and Kelemete are both reserve level lineman that should be fighting for a roster spot. Our line situation is such a patchwork mess I don't know what the hell Payton should do. We need good depth at tackle and better starters on the interior. We need to acquire 2 starting guards and Peat should be preparing to play tackle because at some point this season he WILL play tackle.

Harper is a waste of a roster spot. Vaccaro plays 100% of the snaps at strong safety every season. Harper is as much of a liability in coverage as the typical linebacker. And it makes no sense to give up 25 to 30 pounds in run support by putting Harper in on obvious run downs over a linebacker. Cut Harper and keep one of the promising DB's.

We have a better chance of Garrett Grayson leading us to a Superbowl than Keenan Lewis being 100% healthy for the season and playing at 2013 levels. It's over. It's a pipe dream to think he is going to be at 2013 levels all the while you have to cut young guys like Crawley, Dixon, Harris, or Pruitt.
It's been interesting noting your disdain for Roman Harper but going through the memory banks you were one of the people who pointed out just how much leadership we lost the year Harper/Jenkins were gone. Now we get it back and he's a waste?

Despite actually still showing he can perform with stops in practice in coverage and the run game AND in the Pre-Season games?

Safeties

Kenny Vaccaro got the starting nod at SS in New England, and played 14 first half snaps before heading to the sideline. Vaccaro flashed some good man coverage on Martellus Bennett on the Patriots second drive, and also made a key open field tackle on a Brandon Bolden draw play to stop a big gain. He faces competition from veteran Roman Harper at the SS spot this year. Harper put in a strong shift himself in Foxboro, making several nice plays against the run, and showing veteran savvy to diagnose and react to playaction and draw plays. Harper’s presence on and off the field should really assist the Saints – and Vaccaro – this season

https://crawfishboila.wordpress.com/2016/08/19/stock-watch-saints-defense-preseason-week-one/

Not that their analysis is the end all be all but most people can find the silver lining in the harper signing and you just continue to trash it? Why?

It's great to see that the staff has some hard decisions to make. This is especially true for the CBs. The past few years we haven't had much to work with at that spot. I mean, they've had trouble simply fielding two capable starters the past few years. Our "depth" consisted of the Dixon twins and other various off brand players.

The front seven also looks a lot better. If you look at the depth chart you're not going to be blown away by big names but we seem to have more capable, athletic defenders than we've had in years.

Drew Brees could be looking at the best collection of pass catchers he's had in NOLA. The backfield has a really nice mix of reliable chain movers and versatile scat backs. A ton of potential there and a NFL caliber player will probably be cut.

The cause for pause as I see it is the O Line. We've been spoiled with good O Line play during SP's tenure. You have to go back quite a few years to find a unit that was flat out bad. I look at the O Line depth chart and just wonder if we have the horses.
Ya know one of the beat writers (might have been Underhill) said "the saints roster now has a middle class" which is a complete 180 from last year. It was impact players then a bunch of who's who's behind them. Now we've got decent depth everywhere except Oline and even Jack Allen is showing his stuff.

Just imagine in a year if we don't have to resign Unger, and we cut Byrd. We'll have money to sign some good players at G and maybe CB or DE after signing Brees.

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Justin Drescher would have been listed as a lock if Payton hadn’t talked about how much value it would be to have a player who could play two positions serve as the snapper.
Could Jack Allen be used as the longsnapper? Or possibly Garrett Griifin?

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
It is so nice to finally have a competent local reporter for our team.
Some reporters have a knack for taking positives and finding a negative spin on it. Then there's Underhill who just gives you the lowdown and let it be what it it. He's fine with letting things appear to be promising at worst.

Crush

Very Banned
Reaction score
This is an interesting article. I'm especially interested to see how the RB position shakes out. Here is my prediction
Mark Ingram: Best all around RB we have and clear #1
Tim Hightower: Veteran backup to Ingram and power RB
CJ Spiller: Too much invested and upside still there. Gets another shot to prove he wasn't a mistake.
Marcus Murphy: Return guy and emergency RB

Trav Cadet gets let go, but is put on speed dial in case anyone goes down.

Dan Lasco lands on the practice squad. I know he's very hyped around here, but he will pass through free agency and make it back to our practice squad.

BooBirdSaint

Super Forum Fanatic
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I like the kid however every roster spot is critical and you've got to be a solid contributor on ST. IMO Tommy Lee Lewis will either earn a spot as a special teams ace returner/gunner or he will go to the practice squad. He's a 5'6" 170lb WR... Not a huge market for those guys in the receiving game unless your name is Wes Welker. And even he started out getting cut and spending 2 years as a ST returner before he proved himself and got into the lineup as a WR.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints add Bennie Fowler and Margus Hunt to game day roster Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints promote DE Margus Hunt, WR Bennie Fowler III to active roster for gameday Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints add WR Bennie Fowler, DL Margus Hunt to active roster Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Game analysis with T-Bob Hebert & Nick Underhill Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Let's just hope a certain saying holds true for the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints 34-24 loss in Las Vegas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Raiders score 24 unanswered points to top Saints in first-ever Las Vegas game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 2 games in, Saints make it clear they have ways to go to reach Super Bowl dreams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fast start, Saints stumble in humbling loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Postgame Show | Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints have not gone 2-0 since 2013 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Derek Carr tosses three touchdowns as Raiders win Las Vegas debut 34-24 over Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Raiders power past Saints in Allegiant Stadium debut SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Saints defense prevents 100 yard rusher yet again Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Blessedog The Raiders played Saints Football and Won Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Watch: Saints rookie tight end Adam Trautman catches first NFL pass against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
17 all: Saints at Raiders 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Raiders tie Saints 17-17 with 10 points in final 1:44 of first half Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Whodat GT N/S SR community to the rescue: I´m looking for a long lost friend and Saints fan. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Saints vs. Raiders: Monday Night Football open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders inactive lists: Michael Thomas no, Cesar Ruiz yes. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints at Raiders: Michael Thomas officially inactive, 3 rookies to debut for New Orleans Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Bill Update Saints are wearing their Color Rush uniforms tonight!!! Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Week 1 standouts Margus Hunt and Bennie Fowler III called up from practice squad for Saints vs. Raiders game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints @ Bucs SNF Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 5
Update: Cantrell allows High School Football to start with some fans @ games. Still no word on Saints Games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Saints vs. Raiders: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saint Droopy Saints Captains' Families HYPED Send-Off to Fathers Ahead of Week 2 at Raiders Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 2
Las Vegas welcomes the Saints against all odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Packers doctor to examine Michael Thomas' injury days before Saints play Green Bay Saints RSS News Feeds 0
FOX Sports New Orleans to re-air 2020 Saints games starting Week 2 vs. Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fan confidence high as Saints head to Vegas for tonight’s Monday Night Football showdown Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints defensive line rotations performed in week one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the Saints can attack the Raiders through the air tonight on Monday Night Football Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Get Hype: Saints at Raiders | NFL Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints vs. Raiders odds, line: NFL picks, Monday Night Football predictions from model on 100-65 roll SR News Page Articles 0
Saints to have Packers doctor examine Thomas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
RedJem Saints vs Raiders Gameday Updates 9-21-20 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 147
Bill Analysis ***Official Saints @ Raiders Game Day Thread*** Gameday Board 2485
Fleur-de-Links, September 21: Injury reports and betting odds heading into Saints Monday Night Football game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What will we watch closely in Saints vs. Raiders? Saints offense without Michael Thomas, for one Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Gentilly504 If Gregg Williams was Saints DC with the talent they have now... Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Dan in Lafayette Saints use Boeing 777 to fly to Las Vegas Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 32
Krodwhodat Saints social media is undefeated Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10
Best bets for MNF: Saints at Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How to watch, follow Saints vs. Raiders: Get key broadcast information, expert picks, more Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Report: Saints WR Michael Thomas' could miss 2-4 weeks with ankle sprain Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What Michael Thomas' ankle injury means for him and the Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints C/G Cesar Ruiz will make his NFL Debut SR News Page Articles 0