Roster Outlook (1 Viewer)

Stalwart385

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Locks - Won't say much about them.
Likely - Close to a lock. They can be beaten but have a clear advantage for a roster spot.
Bubble - They are in a tight battle that's hard to call. Some in these groups will probably make the team just not sure who.
Field - There are contenders in here. I didn't feel they had as much of an edge (or I didn't know much about them).

QB (3 rostered)
Drew Brees, Taysom Hill, Jameis Winston
-
-
Tommy Stevens

Stevens is a wildcard. If he makes the team he would technically be a 4th QB on the roster but only in name. I think he has a better shot than most 7th rounders because of his path but he's going to have to carve out a role on the team.

RB/FB (4-5)
Alvin Kamara, Latavius Murray
-
Dwayne Washington, Ty Montgomery, Michael Burton, Ricky Ortiz
Tony Jones Jr.

I'm not sure if Washington and Montgomery are fighting for the same spot. They are different players. I struggled with putting them both as likely, I'm not sure how that plays out. I imagine one of the two FBs makes the team. Not sure who will win that one.

WR (5-6)
Michael Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Tre'Quan Smith, Deonte Harris
-
Tommylee Lewis, Austin Carr, Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Krishawn Hogan
Emmanuel Butler, Marquez Callaway, Juwan Johnson, Maurice Harris, Taquan Mizzell, Tim White

I left the UDFA's in the field and gave a small edge to players that were on the roster before. I don't want to project too much but I'm watching out for the field. It's a deep battle for depth spots, but a bit short on talent. Hopefully someone emerges as a clear front runner.

TE (3-4)
Jared Cook, Josh Hill, Adam Trautman
-
Garrett Griffin
Jason Vander Laan, Cole Wick

Pretty straight forward. Maybe they keep a 4th with Trautman being fairly raw. I gave Griffin a small edge with his time on the team. Maybe a spot where Tommy Steven sneaks in.

OL (8-9)
Terron Armstead, Ryan Ramczyk, Andrus Peat, Erik McCoy, Cesar Ruiz
Nick Easton
Will Clapp, Cameron Tom, Patrick Omameh, James Hurst
Ethan Greenidge, Derrick Kelly, Calvin Throckmorton, Jordan Steckler, Adrian Magee, Darrin Paulo

If Easton gets beaten out his contract makes him expendable. That's unlikely though. Clapp and Tom may be fighting for one spot. There are a bunch of rookies in the field that could stir things up. Not sure about Omameh's chances but gave him the edge. EDIT: Add in an experienced T/G to the competition with Hurst.

DL (8-9)
Cameron Jordan, Marcus Davenport, David Onyemata, Malcom Brown, Sheldon Rankins, Trey Hendrickson
Mario Edwards Jr.
Taylor Stallworth, Shy Tuttle, Margus Hunt, Carl Granderson
Malcolm Roach, Gus Cumberlander, Jalen Dalton, Noah Spence (IR)

This was probably the hardest spot to label. I struggled moving guys between likely, bubble and field.
I went ahead and put Edward in likely. His versatility and experience will be hard to beat out. I almost put Stallworth there but the DT battle is deep. Tuttle is in the same situation, a pure DT in a battle with a lot of guys that can play the position. Hunt is another one that has a good shot to make it and is versatile. Spence and Granderson were on the roster last year and have plenty of upside. I'm watching out for Roach also.
All that said and most of those guys I named will be cut. An interesting battle.

LB (6-7)
Demario Davis, Alex Anzalone, Kiko Alonso, Zack Baun
Craig Robertson
Kaden Elliss, Joe Bachie
Anthony Chickillo, Chase Hansen, Andrew Dowell

Robertson is getting up there in age but does a ton for the team. I could see him approaching the end just not sure if it's this year. I think Elliss has an inside track. The coaches really liked him and gave him some impressive responsibilities for a rookie last offseason. Bachie is the only UDFA I took out of the field group. That is because he was so highly regarded pre-draft and given one of the largest guarantees ever as an undrafted rookie. I think he's a long shot to beat Elliss but might open a 7th LB spot on the team.

DB (9-11)
Marshon Lattimore, Janoris Jenkins, Malcolm Jenkins, Marcus Williams, C.J. Gardner-Johnson
Justin Hardee, Patrick Robinson, P.J. Williams, D.J. Swearinger
Saquan Hampton, J.T. Gray
Johnson Bademosi, Deatrick Nichols, Keith Washington Jr., Tino Ellis, Chris Johnson

This wasn't easy to label. I didn't feel like there was much competition in the field to push for spots. This pushed guys like Robinson, P.J. Williams and Swearinger into likely. I think they have question marks but are clearly the best options. Hardee is likely because of his ST prowess. Hampton and Gray have advantages with their time on the team. I hope the field surprises me.

ST (3)
Thomas Morstead, Wil Lutz, Zach Wood
-
-
Blake Gilikin

Easy. I will point out that I've seen Gilikin noted as a decent rookie. No shot here but someone might try him out when he's cut.

35 Locks
7 Likely
20 Bubble

Last edited:
I’d probably put TQS, Josh Hill, and Malcom Brown in the likely category.

I’d also put Butler and Callaway in the bubble category. I can’t understand the love for Humphries. What does he do better than Butler? Sometimes The hype of these camp beasts can live on forever.

I’d also put Butler and Callaway in the bubble category. I can’t understand the love for Humphries. What does he do better than Butler? Sometimes The hype of these camp beasts can live on forever.

I put Humphrey over Butler because Humphrey made it on the roster last year. The gap isn't big though.

Nice job, thanks for putting that together. I think Omameh is likely, because backup at tackle is needed.

Edit: James Hurst just signed. Omameh less likely now.

Last edited:
I would be absolutely SHOCKED if even one out of Granderson, Tuttle, PJ, P-Rob, Swearinger, Hardee, Burton, Washington, or Montgomery didn't make the team.
I guess a small case could be made for Washington vs. Montgomery, but at a minimum, everyone listed here should be listed as LIKELY.

I also feel like Greenridge should be considered likely. But that's just because we actually put him on the 53 man roster last season to protect him. That makes me
think he's got an inside track.

Just my thoughts.

I’m pretty sure Greenridge was on the active roster for all of last season as a UDFA. It’ll be interesting to see if he develops.

I’m pretty sure Greenridge was on the active roster for all of last season as a UDFA. It’ll be interesting to see if he develops.
He was on the 53 but was inactive on most game days, IIRC. I agree he's someone to watch. With the signing of the G/T from Baltimore (Hurst) we just made, there's going to be a lot of competition for just a few spots on the OL.

My :tpenny:

- Chickillo isn't a scrub, and may surprise a few people in camp.

- Callaway will be on our P/S or some other team's active roster... mark it down.

- Shy Tuttle will make the final roster; I don't see him on the bubble.

- Throckmorton is slow, but his technique and tenacity will land him a spot on the P/S.

- Elliss is good; really good. But if Bachie beats him out, it wouldn't be a shocker to me. And if he's that good, our LB'er depth and squad will be a terror this season!

- Deonte Harris will find his way on the field even more as a WR. Montgomery is likely to pick up some of Harris' slack as a return man.

:gosaints:

Catch

My :tpenny:

- Chickillo isn't a scrub, and may surprise a few people in camp.

- Callaway will be on our P/S or some other team's active roster... mark it down.

- Shy Tuttle will make the final roster; I don't see him on the bubble.

- Throckmorton is slow, but his technique and tenacity will land him a spot on the P/S.

- Elliss is good; really good. But if Bachie beats him out, it wouldn't be a shocker to me. And if he's that good, our LB'er depth and squad will be a terror this season!

- Deonte Harris will find his way on the field even more as a WR. Montgomery is likely to pick up some of Harris' slack as a return man.

:gosaints:

It's just the competition on the DL for Tuttle. He should be ahead of Stallworth but he's still the 8th DL on the team. If someone that can play DT impresses, Tuttle's spot could be in question. I might be too high on Edwards, who could save some cash if replaced.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom