Rosvoglou: Saints Could Be A Landing Spot For Carr (1 Viewer)

Somehow people don't seem, or want, to factor in how finite an NFL career really is when they suggest that. It's a great strategy for a video game or a computer simulation but it completely disregards the human element of things. None of these guys have a guaranteed future in the league, whether it's because of poor performance they never recover from, a bad injury, perception of attitude, etc. The idea that they'd willingly punt a year to pin their hopes on a rookie QB who may or may not ever adapt to the league, and who will likely need 2-3 himself even if he is good enough to fully make that transition, is ridiculous.

On topic - I've never been a huge Carr fan but I think he's an upgrade on what we have already at the position from that standpoint in theory it makes us better. That said it depends on the contract he gets, I'd feel a lot better about signing Carr if we were using him as a transition guy more so than thinking he's going to be here for the next 5-8 years. Carr plus one of the project rookies (AR is the most talked about, I'm sure there are others that I don't know about) would be fine by me. Carr on a long term deal, no thank you.

I have some disagreement with your second paragraph but this is a fantastic post, with well-stated thoughts, and I wanted to acknowledge that.

We need to use every pick to build up this roster, from reshaping the defensive line, to strengthen the interior of the offensive line and adding skill players behind starters like Kamara and Olave and also adding a young quarterback to groom behind whatever FA QB we bring in to bridge the gap.

This Team has not had a healthy season in a few seasons and until we have a relatively healthy season we really will not know how this Team will look under the vision and leadership of DA, Loomis and Ireland, but one thing is for certain and that this Team is not good enough to mask the growing pains of having a rookie starting at QB though one needs to be drafted/added.
Didn't stay starting immediately (could even have Dalton as a bridge), but need a young QB this year or next. Team is not a contender. It is time to invest in a young QB.

On topic - I've never been a huge Carr fan but I think he's an upgrade on what we have already at the position from that standpoint in theory it makes us better. That said it depends on the contract he gets, I'd feel a lot better about signing Carr if we were using him as a transition guy more so than thinking he's going to be here for the next 5-8 years. Carr plus one of the project rookies (AR is the most talked about, I'm sure there are others that I don't know about) would be fine by me. Carr on a long term deal, no thank you.
Could he opt for a prove it type contract? My first guess is no, since his demeanor is that he wasn´t the problem in LVR (and I believe that, I mean, people complain about DA but McDaniels track record as HC and as a talent evaluator *cough* Tim Tebow *cough*, is sooo bad). Plus, there will be a market for him, and unless his demands are too high and the market dries up, he will probably be looking at a 3 year contract at least.

Didn't stay starting immediately (could even have Dalton as a bridge), but need a young QB this year or next. Team is not a contender. It is time to invest in a young QB.
I don't think Allen has that luxury. If we had a high first-round pick and one of the top 3 guys were in reach I think may work but we are too far out for one of those. I don't how we break the bank for Carr and use a premium pick on a QB.

I like Derrick Carr. I wouldn't mind them signing him, but my expectations for team success will stay in check. This franchise has numerous holes to fill and have limited flexibility to do so.

Saints are closer to a Playoff team than a Tank team. Despite our injuries in the last two years, Saints were on the verge of making the Playoffs both years. Our Defense is good enough to make a Playoff run. I say if the trade compensation is cheap enough (4-6 round draft pick in return), lets roll with Carr. Cut JW, draft a QB and roll the dice.
Sure we will be salary-cap hell but I trust ML to wiggle them out from it again.

I'll be OK with bringing in Carr as long as we draft a QB. Still not thrilled about Carr because I know with him we'll be good enough for a 7-8 win season even with a good defense and thats a big if we have a good defense next season.

Has seemed the most likely/logical move since the Raiders benched him. He’s a good QB so I’m fine with it, the concern is he feels like the classic purgatory quarterback. Good enough to get you in the playoffs and win you a game but not good enough to take you to a Super Bowl. Would also remove any chance of a top 5 pick next year.

I guess the question is whether he could make a Stafford like leap as their careers are similar. The below tweet is very interesting, our current O-Line and defense would probably be the best he’s ever had. If we had a better HC or OC, I’d be more excited but he’d be a solid signing and a big upgrade on Dalton.

Regarding Super Bowl statement...Are you saying Jared Goff is better than Carr?

Allen drafted Carr and Allen will reunite with him in March. They will be the next married Saints HC/QB duo for a long time like Payton/Brees.

Allen and Carr sure had a great thing going on with the Raiders back then didn't they.

Indeed. That’s why It’s all about the cost for Carr, both in picks and salary cap.

Unless the Raiders asking price is a 3rd or less, no thank you, but I fear that the team will overpay to avoid a complete reboot. I’d much prefer the reboot and the uncertainty (and hope) of a rookie QB.
My fear is that the FO will give up too much, either for a FA QB or to move up in the draft and get a QB. It is better not to force the issue if the cost is too high and wait another year for the right situation. Yes, QB is without a doubt our biggest need, but the team has so many other needs that I think it might be better for the long-term interest of the organization to fill as many of those other needs as possible and look for ana upgrade over Dalton that won't break the bank. Finding an upgrade over Dalton, either somewhere in the draft where we don't have to give up picks to move up or in FA (without breaking the bank, which signing Carr would do), is very doable since Dalton's performance last year didn't set the bar very high. However, this organization is desperate to prove Loomis was right to elevate DA, and desperation breeds bad decisions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom