Rotoworld: Brees not helped by Free Agent Signings (1 Viewer)

All The Way

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Personally I think that if they defense keeps the offense on the field more Brees and Company will rock and roll. However, Gregg Rosenthal at Rotoworld thinks differently. No mention of Meach even.

"Drew Brees, Saints

Sean Payton is an expert at making passing game gumbo from leftover ingredients, but wouldn't it be nice to see Drew Brees with more weapons than a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra? Or at least trying some new ones?

Re-signing David Patten, Eric Johnson, Billy Miller, Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper was an exercise in good enough. These replacement level receivers will have to be good enough because upgrading the defense took priority.

That could bite Brees eventually, especially if Marques Colston is ever seriously hurt. An early draft pick at wideout or tight end wouldn't be a shock."

http://rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=59&articleid=30042

I agree. Other than Devery, we have no speed on the outside.

Someone get's it!

LMAO. The article lost credibility when they referred to the guy who has caught more passes in his first two years than any receiver in NFL history as "a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra". You might as well refer to Tony Romo as "an undrafted Quarterback from Eastern Illinois University" or Antonio Gates as "an undrafted TE from Kent State".

:smilielol:

Guys like Tom Brady and Drew Brees have done quite well for themselves without a deep lineup of marquee names. I don't concern myself with this team's offensive prowess. I am much more concerned with keeping other teams from scoring points.

LMAO. The article lost credibility when they referred to the guy who has caught more passes in his first two years than any receiver in NFL history as "a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra". You might as well refer to Tony Romo as "an undrafted Quarterback from Eastern Illinois University" or Antonio Gates as "an undrafted TE from Kent State".

:smilielol:

Guys like Tom Brady and Drew Brees have done quite well for themselves without a deep lineup of marquee names. I don't concern myself with this team's offensive prowess. I am much more concerned with keeping other teams from scoring points.

same with mcnabb

Garbage. Rotoworld should stick to fantasy-land.

Right...because Reggie Bush cannot ever line up at WR and Robert Meachem only runs a 4.3/40.

Meacham's not quick....no suddeness. Will not scare the opposing D with a deep ball threat. Just like Colston, don't get me wrong, I love Colston, but he's not a threat deep. We need that.

Meacham's not quick....no suddeness. Will not scare the opposing D with a deep ball threat. Just like Colston, don't get me wrong, I love Colston, but he's not a threat deep. We need that.

You sure about this? Colston isn't a deep threat per se, but he's definitely quick. Meachem is possibly even quicker than Colston. And yes, Meachem's 40 time is sub 4.4 seconds.

I'm sure. I bet if you ask Sean and Mickey....they'll tell you the same.

Saying brees would sufer if we lost Colston, is just a obvious statement. Any quarterback would suffer lossing his best wideout, just ask Peyton manning about lossing harrison last year.
devery henderson is our only experienced wideout that is a huge deep threat but we do have Meach( who knows what he will be able to do)
If green makes the team as a KR/PR i am sure he will see sometime at wideout as in 4wo plays.

Meh, that guy really reaches to make a point. Why is he even making reference to Colston? The implication would be that all Payton has done to add offensive weapons has been to use a seventh round draft pick on a receiver from Hofstra.

Of course that is not true, but why leave an unsuspecting reader with the impression that the talent that we got with that pick was about what one would expect at that stage of the draft? Why suggest that the seventh round pick was the only effort that has been made? I guess it was because his analysis was limited to a few sentences and it had more sex appeal that way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom