Rotoworld: Brees not helped by Free Agent Signings (1 Viewer)

If you want to really help Drew Brees, run Deuce McAllister and Pierre Thomas the way Deuce was used when he had over 1600 rushing yards. Put Reggie in the slot. Do away with the trickery versus fast defenses, like the ones who use a version of Tampa Cover 2 and the super athletic types like Baltimore. In other words, get physical in the running game from the jump. You establish the LOS and do this, THEN Brees will have an easy day, THEN the misdirection and trickery and cute plays will work. I think Payton was forced to realize this in the abscence of Deuce and Reggie last year, as well as the 0-4 start becuase of a failure to do this as well as why we lost to Chicago, Indy, and Tampa who all have practically the same defensive philosphy, and losses to teams like Carolina and Washington and Tennessee who were just more physical.

Drew is great at getting rid of the ball quickly, and those short high percentage passes will open up both the run and deep ball against half of the league. But when you play teams that are either quick or physical, they either put a stop to the short game with speed or physical pressure. We counterd Jacksonville's defense beautifully, but that is now on tape and will not happen the same way again.

Drew is a great QB. Sure, he could use another sure WR and Gateslike TE, but we will still face the same problems versus the same kind of teams unless our coach pulls his head out of his butt and decides to cut the mickey mouse cute stuff and pound the rock. I don't care how much improvement we make on defense or what talented RB or WR we bring in, between our offensive line and offensive philosophy, we NEED to be able to do this when the situation arises, and we need to commit to doing it. Some games will have to be played that way from whistle to whistle, others it will only be needed when preserving a lead. Have that, and Brees will be unstoppable, even if his only legit WR is Colston.

Seems the signing of two LBs makes the addition of help for Brees in the draft more likely. Great work by the author. I'd like to be in his FF league.

LMAO. The article lost credibility when they referred to the guy who has caught more passes in his first two years than any receiver in NFL history as "a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra". You might as well refer to Tony Romo as "an undrafted Quarterback from Eastern Illinois University" or Antonio Gates as "an undrafted TE from Kent State".

:smilielol:

Guys like Tom Brady and Drew Brees have done quite well for themselves without a deep lineup of marquee names. I don't concern myself with this team's offensive prowess. I am much more concerned with keeping other teams from scoring points.

Exactly.. I guess by that logic the 9ers screwed Joe Montana by only surrounding him with Jerry Rice out of that small school in MS.

All i'm trying to say is that Meacham has speed, I don't deny that. But we don't have a deep threat ala Steve Smith, L Coles, J Galloway or even M Harrison. Not all burners, but they get open because of their quickness. We don't have that.

Lance Moore is not that guy. He's quick, but not quite fast enough and Patten is not as quick or fast as he used to be.

With that said, I would not be surprised if we drafted someone like this early.

Personally I think that if they defense keeps the offense on the field more Brees and Company will rock and roll. However, Gregg Rosenthal at Rotoworld thinks differently. No mention of Meach even.

"Drew Brees, Saints

Sean Payton is an expert at making passing game gumbo from leftover ingredients, but wouldn't it be nice to see Drew Brees with more weapons than a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra? Or at least trying some new ones?

Re-signing David Patten, Eric Johnson, Billy Miller, Devery Henderson, and Terrance Copper was an exercise in good enough. These replacement level receivers will have to be good enough because upgrading the defense took priority.

That could bite Brees eventually, especially if Marques Colston is ever seriously hurt. An early draft pick at wideout or tight end wouldn't be a shock."

http://rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=59&articleid=30042

Remember the geniuses who said the Saints' FO was on drugs for letting "Stallpepper" go prior to the '06 season?

De ja vu. They are once again clueless about Coach SP and staff's ability to evaluate talent close-up. Meachem's performance in '08 will silence the critics ...I do believe.

:gosaints:

What they do not take into account is our 3 headed monster running attack that i think Payton finally sees. The fact that we still signed the same guys not only shows loyalty but shows that he realizes it was his decisions that cost us last season. He is admitting it was his fault by not making any big moves on offense.I expect alot of running this season. Brees has earned his respect and now its time to win a super bowl!

Come on. The guy is not really saying anything that "we" haven't said also.

Truly, how many of us expected Devery to be resigned after last year?

Patten is servicable, not anything more. Copper and Moore are backups at best. Meachem, while promising, has a lot to prove.

EJ was a disappointment, to me anyway, last year.

I would not be surprised at all to see a WR picked by the Saints in the 3rd round or later. Problem is, it's a pretty weak draft class for WR's.

"Drew Brees, Saints

Sean Payton is an expert at making passing game gumbo from leftover ingredients, but wouldn't it be nice to see Drew Brees with more weapons than a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra? Or at least trying some new ones?

http://rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=NFL&columnid=59&articleid=30042
This is an insult to Colston. He is no longer just another 7th round draft pick but a 2 year starter in the NFL that has most yards for any WR for his first 2 seasons ever!!! (even better than J Rice). Will these lightweight reporters please start showing some respect???

reports are that meacham will begin to show his value as first round status

I sure hope so. I wanted us to pick him last year and was ecstatic that he was on our team. I don't want to have to fall on my sword to all those naysayers! :) :)

OK, seriously, we need Robbie to show up this year. We NEED a tandem and Colston and Meachem could be that for us, I hope. I really liked Patten, he was great last year, but he's not going to be good that much longer and we need a shinning star for the long term.

"but wouldn't it be nice to see Drew Brees with more weapons than a seventh-round receiver from Hofstra?"

Somebody please show that to Colston.

Come on. The guy is not really saying anything that "we" haven't said also.

Truly, how many of us expected Devery to be resigned after last year?

Patten is servicable, not anything more. Copper and Moore are backups at best. Meachem, while promising, has a lot to prove.

EJ was a disappointment, to me anyway, last year.

I would not be surprised at all to see a WR picked by the Saints in the 3rd round or later. Problem is, it's a pretty weak draft class for WR's.

Exactly... I wrote a "rant" thread a couple days after FA started, and I was wondering why we didn't try to improve.. rather than stay stat quo (ala last year). While I do love our defensive FA signings... I'm still puzzled to why we didn't improve on offense.

Yes there are/were better WRs available than Copper and Devery... Yes there were better TEs available than E Johnson... we could have improved our offense as well as our defense.

I hope we can find some gems in the draft because the crop is weak at the skill positions.

Exactly... I wrote a "rant" thread a couple days after FA started, and I was wondering why we didn't try to improve.. rather than stay stat quo (ala last year). While I do love our defensive FA signings... I'm still puzzled to why we didn't improve on offense.

Yes there are/were better WRs available than Copper and Devery... Yes there were better TEs available than E Johnson... we could have improved our offense as well as our defense.

I hope we can find some gems in the draft because the crop is weak at the skill positions.

Only problem is- you can bring them in for visits (maybe), but you can't force them to sign. Some guys will just not take a chance on playing in a small market when their are more dollars off the field than on in some cases. Who really knows how many of those guys we really tried to sign?

All i'm trying to say is that Meacham has speed, I don't deny that. But we don't have a deep threat ala Steve Smith, L Coles, J Galloway or even M Harrison. Not all burners, but they get open because of their quickness. We don't have that.

Lance Moore is not that guy. He's quick, but not quite fast enough and Patten is not as quick or fast as he used to be.

With that said, I would not be surprised if we drafted someone like this early.

Meachem is Quick, you don't have the YAC he is known for by not having a great initial burst and ability to change directions. Furthermore he was a D1 basketball prospect out of high school - a point guard I might add, find me a D1 point guard that has no explosiveness and change of direction skills and I'll find you the Alumni President's son.

Meachem is Quick, you don't have the YAC he is known for by not having a great initial burst and ability to change directions. Furthermore he was a D1 basketball prospect out of high school - a point guard I might add, find me a D1 point guard that has no explosiveness and change of direction skills and I'll find you the Alumni President's son.

:smilielol:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom