Rotoworld update on Asante Samuel's contract request (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
The agent for Asante Samuel says he's using Dwight Freeney's six-year, $72 million deal as a starting point for his client.

He says he isn't using Nate Clements' seven-year, $64 million pact. That deal only included $22 million guaranteed, while Freeney's had $30 million. It sounds like Samuel plans on being the NFL's highest paid defender by the weekend. the agent named New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Dallas as possible suitors.

What do you guys think about it?

Even if he doesn't come to the Saints at least I can say it has been one of the more entertaining off season's so far and it is helping the time pass until next season :9:

yes, I definately like seeing our names mentioned with every big name discussion...

even if we don't get any of them it will be a much better offseason than last years wait and see and get Jason David approach.

What do you guys think about it?
I find it a little hard to believe since it is so out of character for this organization. If I were Loomis, I'd be hesitant to throw that much cheese at a single player. Especially when (in my opinion) we need even more help up front than we do in the backfield. I can only hope that (if true) the FO has thought this through and has a plan to upgrade our LBs and DTs. Also, hopefully Loomis can find a way not to put us in cap hell. He's always done so but he's had the help of Russ Ball.

No doubt I would like him to be on the saints but not as the highest paid defender in the league. The whole NFL salary situation is out of whack. It doesn't matter how good you are, just being the best AVAILABLE at a specific time.

Teams that have good db's have a good pass rush. A good pass rush will make an average DB look very good. Read an article that said Samuels is not as good as his stats (still good) because he guesses alot and the pass rush has covered for alot of his mistakes.

With the salary cap rising like it never has before, the highest paid defender in the league won't stay that way for more then a few months.

We must get Will Smiths contract done before signing any FA defensive players.

I would absolutely pay the money if we were talking about a stud DT, but I just saw the Giants beat the best offense in forever without anyone of the caliber of Samuel in the secondary. I think CBs make way more money than they are worth, and I wouldn't pay it.

If Dallas and Philly offer him the same contract numbers we do... We'll never get him. The only way he signs with us is if we offer MORE than Philly or Dallas is willing to pony up.

...and even then there's no gaurantee.

We must get Will Smiths contract done before signing any FA defensive players.

If he does not play any better than he did last year no need in paying him the big bucks, look at Grant.

If he does not play any better than he did last year no need in paying him the big bucks, look at Grant.

I agree our whole defensive line was a dissapointment but Will Smith is the one bright spot on that line.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom