Rudolph - Kittle OPI non-call / call (1 Viewer)

By the rule, that’s PI in both cases. There’s no judgement at all. If you write a rule, you have to enforce it, period. Riveron is a clown. It was the nail in the coffin for me.

Riveron had an agenda... just don't overturn... and there is no remedy to correct his actions. He is like a king with no accountability.

There were two refs right there next to the two pylons where Rudolph "caught" the ball. No way they did not see it.

Edit: The pylon camera also shows the play

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm not a PI expert.

What I heard on the radio is what the difference was that Kittle "fully extended" his arm. I guess fully straight.
But watching Rudolph, I don't see a bent elbow on his. Maybe a different angle showed something different.
To me they look awfully darn similar.

But my point is, how do you ref something like this? It's total judgement calls. Also, how do we know a defender isn't grabbing the arm to help make that "full extension" happen once it gets hit.

We have Aaron Rodgers faking facemasking calls against Detroit.

I guess we could argue Rudolph's call got overlooked because the NFL loves the Vikings so much they give us all these Super Bowl trophies. But in reality I just think it's going to be tough to call OPI consistently.
I would argue the refs negative bias toward the Saints benefits any opponent.

I like to know why when they have all these cameras they never can have them in position at the right angles?

The problem with the entire system, and the reason why the PI review has been such a joke is because of the NFL's obsession with "deferring to the call on the field". Which of course is beyond stupid. The goal should be to get the call correct, not to stand by some sort of primitive system of putting the referees' judgement on a pedestal and deferring to said judgement over obvious, objective evidence when presented with such. Especially when said referees have shown that their judgement is dog sheet.

You know exactly why Rudolph wasn't called for OPI. Guarantee you they looked at it up in the booth, and decided "well the ref didn't call it and Rudolph didn't literally pull out a pistol and shoot the DB like in the Last Boy Scout, so we're not going to overturn it, no point to review".

In no other private enterprise would such stupidity be tolerated. "We have absolutely no real desire to make the correct decision - instead we want respect the sovereignity of a bunch of idiot incompetents who aren't even full-time employees of our organization"

When attempting to make a correct judgement call about anything in life, the #1 goal should be to get the truth. Whereas with the NFL "getting the truth" is near the back of the line, somewhere behind "don't hurt our referees' feelings" and "don't ever admit wrongdoing".

What a joke.

Last edited:
Disclaimer: I'm not a PI expert.

What I heard on the radio is what the difference was that Kittle "fully extended" his arm. I guess fully straight.
But watching Rudolph, I don't see a bent elbow on his. Maybe a different angle showed something different.
To me they look awfully darn similar.

But my point is, how do you ref something like this? It's total judgement calls. Also, how do we know a defender isn't grabbing the arm to help make that "full extension" happen once it gets hit.

We have Aaron Rodgers faking facemasking calls against Detroit.

I guess we could argue Rudolph's call got overlooked because the NFL loves the Vikings so much they give us all these Super Bowl trophies. But in reality I just think it's going to be tough to call OPI consistently.
i see your a viking fan but its clear as day it was a push off no judgment needed, fully extend arm the corner back was affected by the seperation and his head even jerks back. Easiest call to make yet they keep flags in their pockets all the time.

They were both OPI. I dont really care anymore, we just cant let games be close to where the refs can mess things up

THIS!!!

If we don't let the Vikes crush us in the 1st half, the Minny Miracle never happens.
If we don't let them come back, the LAR no-call never happens.
If we play better and beat the lesser team, the MIN no-call never happens.

We need to stop playing down to our opponents level, play the way that gets us there, and put the other team out of their misery as early as possible.

They were both OPI. I dont really care anymore, we just cant let games be close to where the refs can mess things up
Yeah.. We just need to build a team that is 21 points better than any other playoff team. Let's get to work on that.

Truth is that 1-3 plays turn most games around and when the officials have a direct hand in how those 1-3 plays, play out it is awfully hard to win.

Yeah.. We just need to build a team that is 21 points better than any other playoff team. Let's get to work on that.

Truth is that 1-3 plays turn most games around and when the officials have a direct hand in how those 1-3 plays, play out it is awfully hard to win.
I feel we either need to be explosive to score at will and bury the opponent with points or have running game so dominant, the opposing offense doesn’t get to see the field. Because I don’t have faith in the defense to get a stop in these tied/one possession games anymore

The problem with the entire system, and the reason why the PI review has been such a joke is because of the NFL's obsession with "deferring to the call on the field". Which of course is beyond stupid. The goal should be to get the call correct, not to stand by some sort of primitive system of putting the referees' judgement on a pedestal and deferring to said judgement over obvious, objective evidence when presented with such. Especially when said referees have shown that their judgement is dog shirt.

You know exactly why Rudolph wasn't called for OPI. Guarantee you they looked at it up in the booth, and decided "well the ref didn't call it and Rudolph didn't literally pull out a pistol and shoot the DB like in the Last Boy Scout, so we're not going to overturn it, no point to review".

In no other private enterprise would such stupidity be tolerated. "We have absolutely no real desire to make the correct decision - instead we want respect the sovereignity of a bunch of idiot incompetents who aren't even full-time employees of our organization"

When attempting to make a correct judgement call about anything in life, the #1 goal should be to get the truth. Whereas with the NFL "getting the truth" is near the back of the line, somewhere behind "don't hurt our referees' feelings" and "don't ever admit wrongdoing".

What a joke.
Totally agree. This started in the Rams-Saints NFCCG when two incompetent officials refused to do their jobs. "Let them play" mantra was the impetus behind that screw-up. However, like all bureaucracies, and the NFL is certainly one, no one is held accountable. So instead of doing what they should have done, which was to fire those two officials and demote Voinovich, they instead implement some stupid replay rule, which they never intended to take seriously. And now the situation is worse, which they will use to kill the rule and everything will go back to the way it was, or at least that's the hope.

It all starts with Riveron. He is awful. He was a terrible referee. Of course, when you have the culture the NFL has of not holding people accountable, you end up promoting the poor performers. Like Riveron. Problem is we keep watching. They know this so they will not change it.

Our problems seem to be that our coaches and most of the players seem to be screaming at the refs within the first 5 minutes ?.
The only reason our penalty wasn't as big as the one last year is because of the team we were playing.

Yelled it at the screen when it happened but what are you gonna do? One crew called it on the field, one did not. They simply were not going to second guess themselves to death with the new challenge rule this year.

Offensive PI in both cases in my opinion.
And if you were going to be forced to only be allowed to have 1 of these OPI, and the other a no call, the Saints one was clearly more egregious. Dude's head snaps back from the force of the push.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom