Rueben Foster to have (rotator cuff) surgery. (1 Viewer)

Foster gets a knock for "slow" reads, but at Bama, the front 3/4 is so good, the LB's read pass first on every single play, so he does wait until the run is assured before committing. He also has a history of stingers and possible concussions.

All of that said, if he slips to #11, he would be a fantastic get for our team. Imagine Foster at WLB, Zach Brown at MLB, and a coached up Anthony at SLB. Goodness, that sounds like a serious 2nd level for the next 3+ years. Fast enough and big enough to handle Winston & Newton when they roll out or try to pick up 3rd & 7 with their feel. Rodgers and Wilson as well.

I was already worried about his concussions and now this. I just don't know about Foster. I'll be happy if we draft him, but if it was up to me, I probably wouldn't do it.

Well i think thats part of the reason so many of Bama's players are maxed out by the time they become pro's. Sure they are pro-ready, but the counter to that is mentally Saban has those guys at a Pro level early...by the time they do make it to the NFL some of them are burned out mentally and some even physically.

I think there is a lot of truth to this. I do think that most Bama players have maxed out in college. It is a testament to Saban and his coaching/attention to details.

I also think Bama players, particularly linemen, are at a disadvantage transitioning to the pros' because Bama does not get called for as many penalties as other teams. Their linemen are historically "grabby" and it makes their transition to the pros' much more difficult. It also has an indirect affect on their RBs who are used to see much different holes than what they saw in college.

I'd pass. There are better, less riskier options. 4 months is scary and puts him right up against training camp. Any set back, and you're looking at a missed preseason and essentially a lost season.

Draft a healthy player in round 1 please.

I agree with this. Sorry folks. 4 months recovery time is a long time. Can't really access him during the combines and individual workouts. Way too risky. We don't have enough talent on the team to allow him to just sit and wait for a full recovery. Went through agony with Byrd, Spiller and who else with their off season surgery and recovery time.

Rotator cuff? I believe we have a player who can help him rehab just right. :ezbill:

We aren't drafting the guy to be a freaking pitcher. If it was a knee injury I'd be worried but a shoulder injury? Seriously guys, pros have offseason surgeries all the one now, it's not like he already tore his RC. I'm taking him at 11.

Foster gets a knock for "slow" reads, but at Bama, the front 3/4 is so good, the LB's read pass first on every single play, so he does wait until the run is assured before committing. He also has a history of stingers and possible concussions.

All of that said, if he slips to #11, he would be a fantastic get for our team. Imagine Foster at WLB, Zach Brown at MLB, and a coached up Anthony at SLB. Goodness, that sounds like a serious 2nd level for the next 3+ years. Fast enough and big enough to handle Winston & Newton when they roll out or try to pick up 3rd & 7 with their feel. Rodgers and Wilson as well.

Anthony's future is at MLB or no where else. Being that we run a 3 safety set and likely will for at least another year the SLB role will be minimal. We'll likely only use 3LB sets when we face heavy run teams and as a package.

Ireland already spoke on Anthony and said he was sorry to see him hurt because it looked like he was going to really come on...at MLB. They aren't going to sign another LB...if they do I'll eat my words but I doubt it. You really only need to add another resource there and thats WLB to platoon with Ellerbe should he get hurt. Otherwise you get Anthony coached up to be your Mike and worst case scenario you have Craig Robertson at MLB again.

Anthony's future is at MLB or no where else. Being that we run a 3 safety set and likely will for at least another year the SLB role will be minimal. We'll likely only use 3LB sets when we face heavy run teams and as a package.

Ireland already spoke on Anthony and said he was sorry to see him hurt because it looked like he was going to really come on...at MLB. They aren't going to sign another LB...if they do I'll eat my words but I doubt it. You really only need to add another resource there and thats WLB to platoon with Ellerbe should he get hurt. Otherwise you get Anthony coached up to be your Mike and worst case scenario you have Craig Robertson at MLB again.

Wasn't Robertson supposed to be the Ellerbe insurance policy last year, but due to JL's injury and Anthony's shortcomings he ended up in the middle. So you are saying that next year's LB corps could be the exact 3 guys that were playing LB down the stretch of 2016, just at slightly different spots? Anthony at MLB, Ellerbe at WLB and Robertson as the main backup?

I mean, I'm not opposed to that, IF that means that good $$$ is available to be spent on a CB, pass rusher, and RG and then you draft another CB and another pass rusher and then start looking for your future SLB in the middle rounds.

But, man, seeing that same LB corps in 2017 is just gonna feel like a little letdown. That said, I pegged Anthony as the single player on defense who's improvement/developement or lack thereof would tell the tale of how effectively the Saints could make a quick turnaround and get going towards a Super Bowl appearance. That would seem to be the case, if he really is the MLB they like.

I'm crossing my fingers for the guy. I really want him to be at least serviceable in there.

Without a good 40 time on him, I don't see how a team can pick him in the top 11 spots.

Derek Barnett should be the pick. No worries with him about being "maxed out" or anything like that. And at the end of the day, a better pass rush usually makes an average secondary look good and a good one great if the mix is right.

I'd have to be inside Payton or Allen's head on this next point, but there needs to be some decision on whether Ellerbe is worth keeping around with all HIS injuries, real or imagined. Then and only then would they seemingly assess the true need at WLB heading into draft day.

The real question on him is concussions. Also, he leads with his head alot and that will draw flags in the pros.

Derek Barnett should be the pick. No worries with him about being "maxed out" or anything like that. And at the end of the day, a better pass rush usually makes an average secondary look good and a good one great if the mix is right.

I'd have to be inside Payton or Allen's head on this next point, but there needs to be some decision on whether Ellerbe is worth keeping around with all HIS injuries, real or imagined. Then and only then would they seemingly assess the true need at WLB heading into draft day.

What makes you so sure about Barnett though? The only time I see his name mentioned is in this forum. I've watched a few TN games and saw absolutely nothing special with this guy outside of his hands..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom