Saints Ruiz/Easton (1 Viewer)

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Finally got to watch the Buc’s game. Did anyone else notice just about every offensive series Ruiz and Easton rotated? Just find it odd as O-line is one of the units where you want continuity.

I thought it was so odd that I thought Ruiz must have been hurt. They rotate the D line - seems like a natural progression to rotate the O, but like you said, it's simply not done.

Ruiz came out of college early and he played mostly at center at Michigan. So I would image that a shortened camp and almost no rookie camp would have had an impact on his development into a starter. Honestly Easton and even Hurst have been legit NFL starters so I don't see the rush to push him into starting.

Payton says the plan was to rotate them. IMO, Easton is the better player right now. Ruiz has potential, but needs more time to develop his strength and technique. He’s the weakest link on the line right now.

Agreed. Ruiz has flashes of brilliance and he’s great in run blocking but in pass pro he’s had a rough two weeks. Granted, he was going against Suh and Hicks.

he’s got higher upside but I wouldn’t be surprised to see more Easton moving forward. I still think Ruiz will spot play just to keep him fresh in case we need him

Something to consider is the rookie wall which will come knocking around week 14. Maybe the Saints are trying to limit Ruiz’ reps while still keeping Easton involved. That’s pretty forward thinking in week eight. Also I’m glad this was not tied to guys getting injured which was my first thought.

It seems rather obvious that the original plan was to put Ruiz at Center and move McCoy to RG. That plan was messed up by the lack of sufficient training camp time and OTAs. Ruiz was a Center at Michigan, so this represents a change. Easton's big contract is looking good right now.

If we get back to normality for next season, we'll probably see McCoy at RG and Ruiz at Center. Easton is a great backup along the lines of Kelemete but more of an interior guy and has been an effective starter. This kind of depth is important; we saw how Tampa Bay struggled without Marpet.

I like how our OL Coach is rotating them in and out. As mentioned above by several, it makes sense and its working.

Ruiz is only 21 years old. He's going to get bigger and stronger and right now I think they're just easing him along, letting him get some experience. It's smart. Instead of throwing him to the wolves and saying sink or swim they're bringing him along slowly like you see at other positions.

It seems rather obvious that the original plan was to put Ruiz at Center and move McCoy to RG. That plan was messed up by the lack of sufficient training camp time and OTAs. Ruiz was a Center at Michigan, so this represents a change. Easton's big contract is looking good right now.

If we get back to normality for next season, we'll probably see McCoy at RG and Ruiz at Center. Easton is a great backup along the lines of Kelemete but more of an interior guy and has been an effective starter. This kind of depth is important; we saw how Tampa Bay struggled without Marpet.
Agree with everything you said.

His natural position is center, where he'll excel. McCoy will be a tremendous guard.

Underhill said a lot of it is the fact that there were not OTAs, limited camp, and no preseason. Ruiz, Baun, and other rookies are especially challenged and they’re just managing it. I suppose the guard rotation is good for both players.

that isn’t really uncommon, especially for a guy who came in as a center. LeCharles Bentley was not huge and he was an animal until he got sick.
Hold on now. LeCharles beat up anyone who lined up against him from Day 1 - not quite apples and apples. Though I'm not unhappy in any way with Ruiz's play - he just looks like he does not have his legs yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom