Rules question.... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
So we are all over the NFL/refs with these new watered down rules that prevent the defense from just being nasty and mean.

But the refs don’t make the rules, they are just in charge of enforcing them. It’s not Gooddell, he doesn’t make/amens the rules.

If “everyone” hates these rules, how do they get voted in?

I assume there is a rules committee, I would think it’s made up of coaches, players and owners?

And for a rule to be added (this new plop rule on the QB).....does it have to be submitted, then voted on with majority rules, or is there a higher % than 51 needs to make a change?

It wouldn't be so bad if refs called the penalties consistently. They don't. Basically, 70% of the tackles made probably warrant a penalty by this new rule. So we should be seeing way more penalties.

I think it's the competition committee that goes over the rules.

If you have a season where a top QB like Aaron Rodgers gets hurt, you know the league will spend an entire offseason determining what about the hit was not necessary and make a rule about it.
When Anthony Barr hit Rodgers to end his season, he landed on him with his weight, so now we can't do that anymore.

If you have a season where a top QB like Aaron Rodgers gets hurt, you know the league will spend an entire offseason determining what about the hit was not necessary and make a rule about it.
When Anthony Barr hit Rodgers to end his season, he landed on him with his weight, so now we can't do that anymore.

Rodgers is responsible for more of his injuries than fans are ever going to admit.

He moved out of the pocket on that specific hit. Same with several of his concussions and previous injuries. They're not going to throw a flag if the QB is out of the pocket and moving around.

Rodgers is responsible for more of his injuries than fans are ever going to admit.

He moved out of the pocket on that specific hit. Same with several of his concussions and previous injuries. They're not going to throw a flag if the QB is out of the pocket and moving around.

I hope they throw a flag every time a defender gets with in 3 feet of Brees.

I hope they throw a flag every time a defender gets with in 3 feet of Brees.
Good point. Our biggest risk is Drew going down and these rules help to minimize that risk even if the game becomes less watchable. I am going to keep my mouth shut for the next couple of seasons.

I heard Mike Pereria on the radio the other day and he said the NFL told the refs to flag anything questionable and that every call would be reviewed before the season and they would determine what's bad and needs to be called and what doesn't. We will see.

Owners don't want injured players, especially QB's. So there has forever and always been pressure from them to outlaw hard hits. It's the Commissioner's role to fight the owners to preserve the integrity and traditions of the NFL. Simply put, he folds like a cheap tent under the pressure from the owners and their lawyers. Obviously, Goodell is a very poor fit in the Commissioner's chair.

Can't wait to see how the new league shapes up. If they play traditional football, they will have my loyalty.

I don't understand why people are suddenly freaking out about this.

The rules have been bent to favor quarterbacks and the passing game for several years now. The rule changes led to the big passing boom of the 90's and later the 2000's.

Bad calls have become a staple in the NFL since at least 2010 starting with the Calvin Johnson "no catch" vs the Bears in week 1. Since then, we've seen several rule changes justifying the bad calls and we're to a point now where we don't even know what a catch is anymore.

QBs have been getting heavy protection for years now.

Yes, franchise players can influence or even demand rule changes. The Low Hit Rule came about specifically because Tom Brady lobbied for it after he got injured.

Carson Palmer's injury in the 2005 playoffs also contributed to that. People have debated for years that the Steelers intentionally targeted him in that playoff game with the low hit.

When older fans say that Brady and other QBs wouldn't survive the previous eras where QBs weren't protected with rules like they are now, this is what they mean.

I don't understand why people are suddenly freaking out about this.

The rules have been bent to favor quarterbacks and the passing game for several years now. The rule changes led to the big passing boom of the 90's and later the 2000's.

Bad calls have become a staple in the NFL since at least 2010 starting with the Calvin Johnson "no catch" vs the Bears in week 1. Since then, we've seen several rule changes justifying the bad calls and we're to a point now where we don't even know what a catch is anymore.

QBs have been getting heavy protection for years now.

Carson Palmer's injury in the 2005 playoffs also contributed to that. People have debated for years that the Steelers intentionally targeted him in that playoff game with the low hit.

When older fans say that Brady and other QBs wouldn't survive the previous eras where QBs weren't protected with rules like they are now, this is what they mean.

Did you see the 2 USA Today film clips? If that's the way they're going to play the game, it changes everything. No more QB sacks, unless the officials go light on a certain team. It gives the officials FAR too much control of the outcome of the game.

I'm not saying QB protection is uncalled for. Watching the game live, I really thought Turkey Joe had killed Terry Bradshaw, dead.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI4DLKXyLmk

So we are all over the NFL/refs with these new watered down rules that prevent the defense from just being nasty and mean.

But the refs don’t make the rules, they are just in charge of enforcing them. It’s not Gooddell, he doesn’t make/amens the rules.

If “everyone” hates these rules, how do they get voted in?

I assume there is a rules committee, I would think it’s made up of coaches, players and owners?

And for a rule to be added (this new plop rule on the QB).....does it have to be submitted, then voted on with majority rules, or is there a higher % than 51 needs to make a change?

There is a rules committee. It is generally made up from selected GM's, Coaches. and in a few cases retired Coaches/Gm's. They only make recomendations's to the owners to vote on during the quarterly meetings. Most rule changes are voted on in the March meeting but sometimes they table a rule for further study for a vote either in May or as a test during pre-season. A teem can propose a rule in the March meeting without going through the committee though those are rarely approved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom