Rules, Violations and Enforcements (1 Viewer)

Is the traffic ticket valid?

• Rules are rules, so just shut up and follow them, the ticket is valid

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Hey, the police have to enforce the rules uniformly, the ticket is invalid

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Ticket is valid but there are mitigating circumstances

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SaintsFanInLA

BREES SMASH!!
Reaction score
Just curious about this scenario. Let's say that a stretch of road has a posted speed limit of 50 mph and that most cars travel between 56-60 mph on this road.

Furthermore the police who.... well, police that strip of road only stop and ticket motorists who are driving faster than 60 mph, EXCEPT for red vehicles. The police actually ticket ALL red vehicles that travel greater than 50 mph.

Would someone driving a red vehicle at 52 mph who gets stopped and ticketed for speeding while the flow of traffic he was in is travelling at 59mph, have a case against the system?

Now take this scenario and apply it to anything else. Do you feel that the "everyone else is doing it so why are you stopping me" excuse is valid?

Hypothetical situations like this work to an extent. IMO, what would make this situation and others like it "arguable" is the fact that there are others committing a greater violation. Police should prioritize their actions to those situations most harmful. If there are two calls, one for murder and one for shoplifting, and both situations cannot be attended to, which is more important? This answer is obvious, but in most situations there should be a level of prioritization based on infraction level.

I think flow of traffic can be a very good defense provided you can prove it somehow. Because *not* going with the flow of traffic is actually more dangerous- youre causing people to slow down, and potentially drive recklessly to pass you.

Is there a hot chick in any of these vehicles? If so, we will need pictures before we can give our final answer.

Call the DA, plead your case, and ask him to change it to a nonmoving fine.
City/parish gets thier money, it stays off your driving record and off of his docket.

win/win/win

Will there be a similar race related question as a follow up to this?

To answer the question, just because everyone else is doing it, does not minimize the wrong behavior. If you were randomly selected and pulled over, you deserve a ticket. If you were selected for a particular reason such as the make or model of your car, skin color or sex, then you still deserve it but the police need to have their actions addressed as well.

bad luck... but some cops are just ***** like that... especially the ones who speed themselves-- in marked cars without lights (unless they want to run a light)

bad luck... but some cops are just ***** like that... especially the ones who speed themselves-- in marked cars without lights (unless they want to run a light)

i always get a kick out of statements like this......:9:

Similar situation happened to me on the Causeway. My crime?? I was the last car out of a group of around ten going 62 mph in a 55.

The assistant DA in Jefferson Parish knocked it down to a seatbelt violation when I pleaded my case to him.

Will there be a similar race related question as a follow up to this?

To answer the question, just because everyone else is doing it, does not minimize the wrong behavior. If you were randomly selected and pulled over, you deserve a ticket. If you were selected for a particular reason such as the make or model of your car, skin color or sex, then you still deserve it but the police need to have their actions addressed as well.

It could be followed up by anything. I was thinking about race, sex, ethnicity, age...it doesn't matter.

For instance, if the police were only stopping Asians or women or the elderly for this violation but let everyone else drive off, Scott-Free and it could be proven that this was the case, constitutionally would the punishment stand?

But I knew a case where a company had a routine of 45 minute lunches being allowed "informally" to be between 1hr - 1 & 1/2 hours.

However, this company had an employee that it wanted to fire, so it began to write up the employee for taking extended lunches. But just to make sure that it would not have legal ramifications it began to tell other employees to hurry back from lunch within the 45-minute timeframe just so the "problem" employee could not say that extended lunches were standard practices.

Not sure what the final result of all of that was.

and why is that?

After working in patrol for several years i know there many times where i would have to bust a light, just as described above, for legitimate reasons. There have been times when i would bust the light and then be called off of the call due to the emergency being resolved. The list goes on. Granted there are leo's that may do this when they shouldn't, but for the most part it is a legitimate reason.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom