Rumblings From OTA's (1 Viewer)

NolaDome

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a coach for a D2 school.

He received the opportunity to go to Saint's OTA's as part of a mentoring/internship opportunity.

Anyway, from briefly discussing with him he provided some insight from his first hand look at our 2009 Saints.

First, he mentioned the difference between collegiate and NFL coaches. He really went into detail about the upstanding very personable group we have here in New Orleans. He has been fortunate enough to work with Pete Carmichael, Jr. and Terry Malone. He said unlike some of the Div 1 collegiate football coaches who "big league" other assistants, the Saints staff was very friendly. He noted that Sean Payton approached every Coach their regardless of rank or prestige and introduced himself.

He mentioned that Brunell looks like he could start for another NFL team. He mentioned his great foot work and clearly looking as if he will maintain the # 2 spot. Joey Harrington still needs to improve his foot work in the pocket, but is really delivering the ball with zip, and shows the strongest arm. Patrick Cowan has had very little work at all. I didn't ask about Brees, because I already know Brees is awesome.

My favorite part of the conversation was his mentioning of Aaron Kromer our O-line Coach. He said that this guy specializes in power running. He is focusing on Run Blocking and power formations. Our O-Line looks very capable, and, by far, Stinchcomb appears to be the smallest man on our line. They were playing Strief at every position on the line except for Center.

Our Wr's were limited. Colston and Moore were very limited and held out of OTA's. Devery Henderson is continuing to impress and has been exclusively working with the first unit. He said that Skyler and Roby look good returning kicks with the edge going to Roby.

Billly Miller's pass blocking is improving, but appears to still be the best receiving TE we have on the team.
Shockey was not present this week apparently he is having some " housing issues." (take this for whatever that means) I will say that I hope that Shockey realizes the importance of working with Brees and is not acting like a Diva.

Reggie was very limited as he should be.

A cool thing to take away from this was the difference between collegiate and professional coaching. He said that all of the coaches joked about how since working in the NFL, they have had a better chance to spend time with their families. When they leave the facility, they leave football at the facility. This compared to collegiate coaching where there is no off-season. When you finish practice you are on the phone recruiting or responding to your players personal issues. (i.e. grades, girl friends, and family.)

He said he might be able to sneak me into a future OTA so hopefully that will work out.

Last edited:
Great insight! Just be care not to give too much info about the informant. You know what happened to Kenny Wilkerson.

Thank you man! Power running, you say?

The power running thing threw me for a loop. Aaron Kromer has been with us for a while right? That leads me to believe the run game's issue are indeed problems with OL and RB personnel.

I'd probably edit out what he did to try to keep the organization from jumping his case if they decide they didn't like that info. Keep it real general about who he might be.

Shockey was not present this week apparently he is having some " housing issues." (take this for whatever that means) I will say that I hope that Shockey realizes the importance of working with Brees and is not acting like a Diva.

I still have questions about Shockey until he proves his worth on the field ... a 2nd and 5th were a lot to give up especially if he becomes a distraction or doesn't produce.

Billy Miller is one of my favorite players not because of great talent, but he gives 100% on every play and is very productive. He makes plays. I still don't understand the team waiving him early last season ... fortunately they were able to re-sign him.

Sweet insider info, but I only wish your friend was a D2 defensive end, not tight end. I wanna know how that defense is lookin'. :hihi:

Thanks for the information. Keep them coming!

Isn't there another thread saying Shockey was just spotted at a bar with Reggie in town recently? Now he's gone missing OTA's? I don't get it...his "housing issues" better involve fire.

The power running thing threw me for a loop. Aaron Kromer has been with us for a while right? That leads me to believe the run game's issue are indeed problems with OL and RB personnel.

No, Aaron Kromer was named our offensive line coach this year.

Negative.

Aaron Kromer was named as the New Orleans Saints’ offensive line coach/running game coordinator on January 12, 2009. it is a position he coached for the Saints' final two games of the 2008 after Doug Marrone was hired as the head coach at Syracuse University.

http://neworleanssaints.com/Team/Coaches/People/Aaron Kromer.aspx

We should see some improvement.

In the final two games of the season, the Saints had 184 total rushing yards and 4 touchdowns against the Lions. The last game was against the Panthers, and Payton let Drew just sling it the whole game so our rushing totals weren't good at all. I know those stats were against the Lions, but we haven't seen those types of rushing numbers in a while.

I am quite surprised that people aren't more excited over Kromer.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom