Article Rumor: Bears Listening to Trade Offers For Khalil Mack (1 Viewer)

I thought there was no June first designation this year? Or is that next year?
I believe it’s this year since it’s the last year of the current CBA.

Unless a new CBA is agreed upon by the deadline (which I’m not sure when it is, maybe the new league year?) then I think any cap charges from releases/trades have to be entirely taken on this coming season and not spread out across two seasons like a normal year.

If they allow teams to use the June 1st system like a normal season and then there’s a lockout in 2021, then those teams would only be on the hook of having half the dead money count against their cap.

I believe it's next year because the current CBA is through the 2020 NFL year, which ends early in 2021.
Looks like it's this year:

The post-June 1 designation is a key tool for NFL teams in the offseason. In short: it enables teams to spread out the dead money cap hit that comes with releasing a player and divvies it up across two years, instead of one.

As Joel Corry of CBSSports.com notes, that option won’t be available for teams this offseason, because that provision is not included in this tenth and final year of the current collective bargaining agreement. So, unless the NFL and NFLPA quickly agree to a new CBA, teams won’t be able to kick the can down the road when they release veterans.
https://www.bing.com/aclick?ld=e3qp...vcmllcw&rlid=b8a0779f811112f63d5929dbf382b23b
The lack of a post-June 1 cut will be felt by every team in the league and could impact the futures of many notable players. Corry points to Eagles wide receiver Alshon Jeffery as a prime example – under the post-June 1 rules, the $26.1M in dead money that would result from a Jeffery release could be split between the 2020 and 2021 cap. Without that luxury, the Eagles would have to eat all of that dead money this year. So, unless the Eagles are extraordinarily desperate to get rid of Jeffery, they’re unlikely to cut him.

At this time, it sounds like the two sides have a long way to go before they can hash out a new CBA. Currently, they’re discussing an expanded 17-game season that would still only include one bye week. That probably won’t sit well with many of the players, even if the owners agree to give a larger share of revenue.

Can't provide the link because the bing search popped up an article on top of the search results with just the search in the address bar.

I believe it’s this year since it’s the last year of the current CBA.

Unless a new CBA is agreed upon by the deadline (which I’m not sure when it is, maybe the new league year?) then I think any cap charges from releases/trades have to be entirely taken on this coming season and not spread out across two seasons like a normal year.
It is. Just posted the bulk of an article that I couldn't link because bing does weird things with their search engine.

Going back to the prospects of the Bears trading Mack, even though I mentioned June 1st in my post I don't believe that date plays a part in trades... just player cuts.

My experience is the team that trades a player is responsible for the remaining prorated signing bonus, which comes due in the year that the player was traded. So regardless of when Mack is traded, the Bears have to absorb the dead money hit from Mack's remaining prorated signing bonus.

Going back to the prospects of the Bears trading Mack, even though I mentioned June 1st in my post I don't believe that date plays a part in trades... just player cuts.

My experience is the team that trades a player is responsible for the remaining prorated signing bonus, which comes due in the year that the player was traded. So regardless of when Mack is traded, the Bears have to absorb the dead money hit from Mack's remaining prorated signing bonus.
I was thinking the same originally which is why I was hesitant to post while being foggy on the details, but the article referenced earlier that I posted the link to in my last post has this reference to spreading the hit for releases and trades...
Ordinarily, the bonus proration in future contract years is delayed until the beginning of the next league year in the following March when players are released or traded after June 1. Teams typically can also release two players each league year prior to June 1 (known as a post-June 1 designation) that will be treated under the cap as if they were released after June 1.

There isn't any post-June 1 treatment in 2020 since it's the last year of the CBA. Thus, bonus proration immediately hits the cap regardless of the timing of a release or trade. The only way the acceleration rules from the previous nine years of the CBA will apply in 2020 is if ongoing negotiations between the NFL and NFLPA produce a new labor agreement in a timely fashion.
Now I’m not sure if it’s always been like that or if it was recently changed in recent years.

Much obliged, kind sir. Dare I say it? You're a Saint!
Ayeee! :tiphat:

Whenever a team makes a huge trade and pays a guy a ton of money and is then looking to unload him two years later, be very skeptical.

Whenever a team makes a huge trade and pays a guy a ton of money and is then looking to unload him two years later, be very skeptical.
You mean a team that swears Mitch is their franchise QB.

If I’m the owner of a team that chose a top 10 QB and the brain trust in charge of my personnel comes to me and tells me they need to do it again after two year, then I’m going to tell them “I tend to agree butt first thing is first. First I have to get a new GM with new staff and a new coach in here to make the decision. “

If I’m the owner of a team that chose a top 10 QB and the brain trust in charge of my personnel comes to me and tells me they need to do it again after two year, then I’m going to tell them “I tend to agree butt first thing is first. First I have to get a new GM with new staff and a new coach in here to make the decision. “
I have a feeling Pace will be looking for a new job soon. However, he's still on his rookie deal so they may be able to cut their losses. This may go down as one the craziest draft classes. The top 3 guys (Baker, Mitch, and Sam) have major questions but the other 1st round guys include two MVPs and a potential pro-bowl QB in Allen.

Looks like Gruden is getting the last laugh. He took those 2 firsts and is going to build a good team for Vegas and Chicago got a great player who disappears in big games and now is gonna get traded again. They won't get in return what they paid for him.

We should be all over it if it's real as only his base salary will hit our cap. Chicago would take a huge cap hit. Like 17 million. Not gonna happen.

Hes a very good player but that cap hit is insane for a non QB. Your gonna have trouble building a roster. And the Trubisky rookie contract ride is not working out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom