rumor: bushrod may be lowballed (1 Viewer)

Loomis touched on this earlier, per rotoworld...

Saints GM Mickey Loomis pointed to re-signing impending free agent LT Jermon Bushrod as his biggest challenge this offseason.
"That's easy to figure out," Loomis said. "Jermon Bushrod's a UFA who's a good player. It's going to be subject to what his perceived market is and what we're able to do. He's the No. 1 tough deal." Although the Saints were in a similarly tough salary cap crunch last offseason, Loomis managed to bring back most of his key contributors. Jan 14 - 1:07 PM

Bushrod was a complete unknown when he was forced into the starting LT spot after Brown got injured... However, Bushrod was being groomed as a LT, and even though we didn't know what he could do.. We also didn't know for sure what he could NOT do. My point being, from everything I've seen, we do NOT have another LT on this team. Please don't try to tell me it's Charles Brown either... That dude is soft, and he gets injured literally every season.

If we lose Bushrod, then we really have no other choice but to take Lane Johnson @ 15, because we can't afford a starting caliber LT via Free-Agency.

Bushrod was a complete unknown when he was forced into the starting LT spot after Brown got injured... However, Bushrod was being groomed as a LT, and even though we didn't know what he could do.. We also didn't know for sure what he could NOT do. My point being, from everything I've seen, we do NOT have another LT on this team. Please don't try to tell me it's Charles Brown either... That dude is soft, and he gets injured literally every season.

If we lose Bushrod, then we really have no other choice but to take Lane Johnson @ 15, because we can't afford a starting caliber LT via Free-Agency.

If we take Lane Johnson at 15 it will be the worst draft scenario I could think of for 2013. I thought Bushrod was horrible before starting in 09' he has been light years better than I thought since. Outside of injury I have more confidence in Brown walking into the starting role than Bushrod in 09. Besides that, against top rushers whatever tackle we have in there they will be heavily assisted by perimeter players.

We should. Bushrod had an bad season. He was the lowest graded O lineman we had on both PFF and FO. In fact Football Outsiders said he "played like he hated his Quarterback". He was worse in pass pro than in run blocking. Is that the kind of 'Pro Bowl' player you give a big contact?

Someone will over pay for Bushrod and I really hope it won't be us. Judging by Loomis' early comments, I doubt it will be us.

I don't know when we'll draft one but I definitely think it'll be a priority during the draft.

That made me LOL. But I agree. I don't think Bushrod is quite that terrible, but he certainly isn't great and he constantly needs help when going against elite players. I think we should make him an average offer, but some moronic team will most likely overpay to get him.

The Saints coaches have a way of making average and below-average players look much better than they are, and it always makes me laugh when another team pays dearly to snatch them away and then see them stink up th joint :) (ex. Meachem / Nicks although I realize that was more because of injuries, but still!)

Lots of fans think too much for Bushrod....but the fact is, he is regularly beaten to the outside speed rush. The good thing about that is, it really don't matter that much as long Drew Brees is accounting for that. He steps up, and unloads the ball, thus Bushrod's shortcomings rarely materialize.

Knowing all that, the fact still remains that in a contract negotiations, Loomis also knows Bushrod's shortcomings. He has a number in his head, and he won't go over it.....its just not worth it.

I fully expect Bushrod to get overpaid by some other team, and he walks......which is not a big deal. You can find LTs with similar shortcomings later in the draft. Even Bushrod was a 5th rounder......so I'm not worried one bit if he walks...

I know that Jake Long and Ryan Clady are the prized tackles on the market. But ther are others who I think could be just as effective for us. I really like Brandon Albert who excels in both pass and run-blocking. Another name that has not gotten tossed out there very often but I think we should keep an eye on is William Beatty. He's been a steady tackle for the Giants. He and Albert have missed time due to injuries but are both productive players when healthy. I think the Saints should give both of these guys some consideration as I think they are better players than Bushrod. And that's not to criticize Bushrod. For a 4th rounder, he's been solid. But I think for the money, Albert and Beatty are better investments.

We've seen it time and time again. The Saints will offer what they consider fair value for Bushrod and allow him to try to find a better deal in free agency. If some consider that lowballing, so be it but why would we expect anything else?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom