rumor: bushrod may be lowballed (1 Viewer)

Saintscuffy

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
WalterFootball.com: NFL Draft Rumor Mill

Essentially, the thinking is that the saints place a higher premium on Guards than on Tackles.

Personally, I'd love to see the Saints draft a STUD OT in the 1st and then go defense the rest of the draft. I think Lance Johnson would be a prime fit for their OL. That said-I could see us going with another small school player later in the draft. With the advent of the spread offense in college-we might find someone who fits this bill.

Question is: will the new OL coach have a similar philosophy? MY hope is that we will hire someone who can teach as well as scheme.

I don't think you let an uproven rookie protect Drew's Blindside. We do need linemen, and I think we will draft some, in later rounds from small schools that will work out awesome. Unless an absolute stud drops i see us going defense

Essentially, the thinking is that the saints place a higher premium on Guards than on Tackles.

Personally, I'd love to see the Saints draft a STUD OT in the 1st and then go defense the rest of the draft. I think Lance Johnson would be a prime fit for their OL. That said-I could see us going with another small school player later in the draft. With the advent of the spread offense in college-we might find someone who fits this bill.

Question is: will the new OL coach have a similar philosophy? MY hope is that we will hire someone who can teach as well as scheme.

If they don't think much of tackles then they're not gonna draft one in the first round. We'll either retain Bushrod, get someone in FA or address it in the late rounds.

I don't think it's true that as an organization the Saints put a much higher emphasis on guards over tackles compared to other teams. I just think that the Saints happened to have the great scouting necessary to draft the 2 most dominant guards in the NFL within two years of each other. When you acquire a player(s) of that caliber teams do everything in their power to ensure they remain a part of their team as long as possible, especially if the organization feels like this/these player(s) can greatly contribute to the team winning a championship. In turn they both greatly contributed to the SB winning season.

Good teams use the most talented players in the most effective ways possible, and that's what the Saints did while fortunate enough to have both. As we all know the Saints felt as if they could only afford Jahri. I actually think the fact that the team didn't give Nicks that amount of $ shows that they aren't more focused on guards than tackles comparatively. I think the team believed that they could get a guard like Grubbs (who is no Nicks/Evans, but is still an upper tier and way above serviceable guard) to play for less $, so that they can put that extra $ toward either paying Bushrod or a different long term LT.

Subsequently, they're the 2 highest paid OGs of all time: J. Evans - $57.1million from the Saints; C. Nicks - $47.5million from the Bucs. If they continue improve and play at such a high level and avoid serious injuries they may go down as 2 of the best OGs of all time. Rarely ever do teams simultaneously have 2 such dominating players at mirror positions. The Saints were fortunate enough to have both of them playing along side each other for 4 years and then forced to deal with the situation of deciding whether or not to pay 2 great players that play mirror positions of each other similarly high contracts.

I know this might be comparing apples to oranges, but Evans/Nicks combo at the OG spot is like a Calvin Johnson/Larry Fitzgerald WR combo or a Ngata/Suh DT combo. With so much talet in one "position", teams would be crazy not utilize that tandem to their advantage. That would then label that team as a position xyz focused team.

We should. Bushrod had an bad season. He was the lowest graded O lineman we had on both PFF and FO. In fact Football Outsiders said he "played like he hated his Quarterback". He was worse in pass pro than in run blocking. Is that the kind of 'Pro Bowl' player you give a big contact?

Someone will over pay for Bushrod and I really hope it won't be us. Judging by Loomis' early comments, I doubt it will be us.

I don't know when we'll draft one but I definitely think it'll be a priority during the draft.

With Bushrod it will be all about value for the Saints. Loomis has an idea and range of what he wants/can pay to keep Bushrod and if the market moves beyond that he will let him go. I do believe that Bushrod is worth keeping as he clearly is a serviceable starter. He is not, however, a premier OT and if some team wants to break the bank to get him, so be it!

In terms of the guards, Drew is a short QB and he needs to have an interior OL who can keep teams from pushing the pocket into him. To that end I do believe they do place value on quality OG's.

Overall, the thing I most want to see in 2013 is an OL, with the new OL coach, who can move people off the ball and get the running game functional again. I am not sure that it is a personnel issue or one of scheme, but we will probably find out with a new coach this year.

I know he went to the pro bowl and everything, and he's a super nice, genuine guy. But he's an average LT at best, and there's lots of film of him being average. Doubtless someone will offer him more $ than we do but I would be surprised if it's a huge number. I think the chances are fair he gives a hometown discount and stays.

I know the money a tag costs counts against the cap, even if a contract is not signed. I think we use the Transition tag and someone gives a 4th for him.

First of all, we have to define "low ball".

We have to understand that left tackle is one of the most expensive positions in football, and that Jerome Bushrod is a two time pro-bowler.

Considering this, many will think that Bushrod may be pursuing a contract similar to what Jake Long and/or Ryan Clady.

I think Loomis has to consider several things before making an offer:

- The value of the position in the market
- If we feel confident replacing Bushrod with depth chart or draft
- The grades Bushrod received, performance speaks volumes
- The impact of Bushrod's contract on the cap structure

Mickey will make the right offer to Bushrod, but that may not be enough to retain it, and we have to live with that. If Mickey thinks we don't have enough cap to accomodate a possible contract, he will let Jerome and his agent know as soon as possible, sometimes you just can't get what you want.

What I wouldn't give for another Willie Roaf. Bushrod will walk just like his predecessor Jamaal Brown did. I remember being upset when we let Jamaal go but he hasnt been that stellar for the Redskins. Brees makes linemen look better than they really are.

Loomis should tell Bushrod part of his large salary is going towards paying the Tightends, WR, and Backs that have to chip pass rushing ends almost every pass play.

The saints may have to franchise tag bushrod this year.Go defense draft heavy and address the left tackle position long term next year.

I'm with Waffles. Don't agree that we value guards more than tackles. We may value guards more than other teams do, but just like every other team, we have to keep the edge rushers off our qb. Bushrod has done a good job, but we have had to give him help when we are facing a great rusher from the blind side. Saints are not going to overpay, but that doesn't lead to lowballing necessarily. Offering fair market value is not lowballing just because others are willing to pay him more.

I think he will get a fair offer and if someone else outbids us, we may let him walk. Depends on who else is out there.

let bushrod go. someone will greatly overpay him.if there is a stud ot at 15 grab him plug him in there for next dozen years.go heavy on defense the rest of draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom