RUMOR - Cowboys shopping DE Spears and LB Carpenter at Senior Bowl (1 Viewer)

Cha-Ching

Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2008/01/trade_rumors_swirling_about_carpenter_sp.html

Rumor has it that the Cowboys are shopping former first-round picks DE Marcus Spears and LB Bobby Carpenter at the Senior Bowl.

Carpenter simply isn't a fit in a 3-4 defense, which makes Bill Parcells' decision to pick him pretty puzzling. Carpenter couldn't get on the field in any of the Cowboys' defensive packages this season but was a solid special teams player. He wasn't considered a reach when the Cowboys drafted him 19th overall two years ago, so some 4-3 teams might be interested.

Spears isn't a bad player, but he hasn't lived up to his first-round billing. To use a Tuna term, he's J.A.G. If the Cowboys get rid of Spears, Jay Ratliff could take his job, with Jason Ferguson and Tank Johnson forming a good NT tandem.

Time to give Jerry some advice: What would you want for Spears or Carpenter? I'm not sure the return for either would be more than a second-day pick, so try to be realistic.

Carpenter? Nothing more then a 2nd day pick (4-7, no 3rd as the LB talent in the 3rd will be great this year). At this point he is is nothing but a ST player. Yes, he might fare better in the 4-3, but nothing is guranteed.

I'm surprised they are getting rid of Spears. I always thought he was a decent player for them. Not sure what I'd give up for him.

Spears could be a very interesting 3 technique DT. He has nice size [6'4" 305lbs.] and would help the pass rush.

I would think about dealing a 4th for Marcus Spears.

Think hard on this one........

I want to preclude this post by saying let's all be realistic ( in MY opinion) at least for this offseason. We ALL want the big time free agent signings, the STUD defensive pick with , at the very least, the first few pics we have in the draft. BUT, let's also look at the history of the Saints and what is likely to happen.

Yes, we my be around $30 million under the cap, but as has been brought up numerous times, this is still a small market team and nothing is to say that Benson and the Saints have $30 million in actual money to go and spend. I DO think they will target one or two high profile free agents a possibly over spend to try and get them. But I also think that it is fair to assume that we will probably look at the unpopular choices at least where the fans vote sits.

Take for instance, Cowboys Safety Keith Davis. I believe he is a free agent this year, will probably not be retained and if you think back, this is the guy the Saints signed when Payton took over to a contract offer and the Tuna matched and then there was a little tift between Tuna and Payton. Why wouldn't we think that Payton wouldn't go after him again?

With the first pick, everyone is screaming defense defense defense.......but if a player that we don't have rated high enough for that pick and we can't trade out what do you do? Draft and end up with another Sullivan or forbid, Alex Molden? Yeah, we all remember him and his "measurables" and he was taken in the low teens.

I just want smart decisions this offseason and Spears and Carpenter, to me are intriguing. Think about this.........you maybe already don't THINK a defensive player that rates the 10th pick is gonna be there and you can trade back with the Cowboys IF they covet say a Phillips or Jackson, and they throw in Spears and/or Carpenter instead of other draft picks. Do you do it? You still have your first round pick, don't give up any other picks and are getting at minimum two players that will give you SOME playing time if not possibly hitting it big!

Just my two cents.\

I want to preclude this post by saying let's all be realistic ( in MY opinion) at least for this offseason. We ALL want the big time free agent signings, the STUD defensive pick with , at the very least, the first few pics we have in the draft. BUT, let's also look at the history of the Saints and what is likely to happen.

Yes, we my be around $30 million under the cap, but as has been brought up numerous times, this is still a small market team and nothing is to say that Benson and the Saints have $30 million in actual money to go and spend. I DO think they will target one or two high profile free agents a possibly over spend to try and get them. But I also think that it is fair to assume that we will probably look at the unpopular choices at least where the fans vote sits.

Take for instance, Cowboys Safety Keith Davis. I believe he is a free agent this year, will probably not be retained and if you think back, this is the guy the Saints signed when Payton took over to a contract offer and the Tuna matched and then there was a little tift between Tuna and Payton. Why wouldn't we think that Payton wouldn't go after him again?

With the first pick, everyone is screaming defense defense defense.......but if a player that we don't have rated high enough for that pick and we can't trade out what do you do? Draft and end up with another Sullivan or forbid, Alex Molden? Yeah, we all remember him and his "measurables" and he was taken in the low teens.

I just want smart decisions this offseason and Spears and Carpenter, to me are intriguing. Think about this.........you maybe already don't THINK a defensive player that rates the 10th pick is gonna be there and you can trade back with the Cowboys IF they covet say a Phillips or Jackson, and they throw in Spears and/or Carpenter instead of other draft picks. Do you do it? You still have your first round pick, don't give up any other picks and are getting at minimum two players that will give you SOME playing time if not possibly hitting it big!

Just my two cents.\

The Saints and Benson have the money every team made at least 100 million in profits this year. It is a matter of whether they want to spend it.

The problem isn't the contract size when it comes to money and the signing of players, it's the enormous amounts of signing bonus money that alot of the smaller market teams cannot compete with. Every small market NFL city if have lived in or around and listen and talk with the local sports analysts say the same thing. Yes, Benson is a rich guy, don't get me wrong, but if you think the Saints can throw the same bonus money as say Snyder in Washington can then I have to disagree.

We really don't want Spears. We have enough oversized DE's as it is, we need to get smaller at that position.

I'm interested in Carpenter though.

We really don't want Spears. We have enough oversized DE's as it is, we need to get smaller at that position.

I'm interested in Carpenter though.

Personally I really am not too interested in Spears, however if he would come to a team like the Saints, I would have to believe he would at least get looks at DT (probably much like the Willie Whitehead mold DE/DT hybrid).

As fare as Carpenter goes, I would assume he would play MLBer 4-3? He really doesn't have great speed (think he ran about a 4.7 coming out). I don't think he has the range/speed to play OLB? Might be interesting, but don't know if he is really a improvement over what we have now.

Personally I really am not too interested in Spears, however if he would come to a team like the Saints, I would have to believe he would at least get looks at DT (probably much like the Willie Whitehead mold DE/DT hybrid).

As fare as Carpenter goes, I would assume he would play MLBer 4-3? He really doesn't have great speed (think he ran about a 4.7 coming out). I don't think he has the range/speed to play OLB? Might be interesting, but don't know if he is really a improvement over what we have now.
Carpenter would have to be really, really bad to not represent an upgrade over Mark "The Invisible Man" Simoneau. I'll ultimately trust Payton and Gibbs' good judgement with any potential trades with the Cowboys though. They should know what these players offer and if they want them or not.

If Payton and Gibbs think Carpenter is worth a look, he"l be a Saint, cause I know if anybody had connections to get a player from the Cowboys its Payton, but I would welcome the addition of Bobby Carpenter, he played with his hand down on occasion at Ohio State, so he has pass rush skills, it don't think he was a good fit in the 3-4 in Dallas, and would be a better option at Weakside than Shanle and he is familiar with Garry Gibbs so it won't be a big transition like it would any other free agent pick up.

if you could get him for a fourth or a fifth carpenter would be a good guy to take a flyer on.

payton wants to (and i agree) get younger on D here is a good low risk high reward situation to do just that assuming the rumors are true

id do it for a fourth or fifth no problem. see if we cant fit him in

What about Carpenter as a possible DE on 3rd down?

Other then that he is a SLB that is not as good as Fujita.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom