RUMOR: LSU about to announce their Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
I got a PM on BB.com that Peveto and Mallory will be named as co-Defensive Coordinators and a new Special Teams coach will be brought in to replace Peveto.

/crossesfingers

Saints#34

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I take it you like the idea? I don't know much about either of them as coordinators, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about co-defensive coordinators. Who will be making the in-game defensive calls?

joe87

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I take it you like the idea? I don't know much about either of them as coordinators, but I'm not entirely sure how I feel about co-defensive coordinators. Who will be making the in-game defensive calls?
I'm sure both will put their heads together to game-plan, then one will make the calls during the game.

I saw a rumor saying that LSU interviewed Ed Orgeron to be their special teams coach. I know Bobby Hebert's been pushing him towards LSU since he got fired.

RockyMtnSaint

Gonzo Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hmmm, not sure how in love I am with this idea. I didn't think LSU's special teams were all that special this year, particularly kick coverage. So promoting Peveto doesn't really thrill me. I actually thought his job might be in danger and instead they promote him. I think I'd much rather have the next Bo Pelini. I'm hoping this rumor is false.

joe87

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hmmm, not sure how in love I am with this idea. I didn't think LSU's special teams were all that special this year, particularly kick coverage. So promoting Peveto doesn't really thrill me. I actually thought his job might be in danger and instead they promote him. I think I'd much rather have the next Bo Pelini. I'm hoping this rumor is false.
Peveto wasn't just the special teams coach last year. He was also the LB coach. Since there's restrictions on how many coaches you can hire, this move would allow them to hire a coach to focus on Special Teams.

lsu31always

Reaction score
Rockymtn, who is the next Bo Pelini? You need to be able to indentify him and have him avaible at the same time in order to get him as well as him having interest in the program. Both Mallory and Peveto can recruit. So I am happy with the move.

RockyMtnSaint

Gonzo Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Rockymtn, who is the next Bo Pelini? You need to be able to indentify him and have him avaible at the same time in order to get him as well as him having interest in the program. Both Mallory and Peveto can recruit. So I am happy with the move.
If I knew that, I'd be the next Les Miles.

I'd have been happier with Tenuta but you do bring up a good point. There's not a lot to choose from. I don't really like the co-DC idea either. I think there needs to be one guy running the defense. So from that standpoint, I'd have been happier with either Mallory or Peveto.

The bottom line is that I can live with anybody as long as they are aggressive and will attack the other team's offense. If these guys will do that then so be it.

Last edited:

keepoursaints

I hate American Airlines
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If I knew that, I'd be the next Les Miles.

I'd have been happier with Tenuta but you do bring up a good point. There's not a lot to choose from. I don't really like the co-DC idea either. I think there needs to be one guy running the defense. So from that standpoint, I'd have been happier with either Mallory or Peveto.

The bottom line is that I can live with anybody as long as they are aggressive and will attack the other team's offense. If these guys will do that then so be it.
I heard Les say that regardless of who the new DC is, the philosophy will remain the same. He said he likes the aggressive style defense we have so if he either promotes someone from within or brings someone else in, they will be following the same mindset.

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I heard Les say that regardless of who the new DC is, the philosophy will remain the same. He said he likes the aggressive style defense we have so if he either promotes someone from within or brings someone else in, they will be following the same mindset.

Hum...if our defense was aggressive than I would hate to see what is passive.

joe87

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Hum...if our defense was aggressive than I would hate to see what is passive.
The defense was pretty aggressive when healthy. The injuries started to pile up and it's harder to send so many blitzes when your players are worn out.

OP
OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
I do not like it at all, but I will trust the Head Coach of the Nat'l Champion LSU Tigers for now...

OP
OP
MLU

MLU

Reaction score
No one really knows. The rumor is that he's abrasive and that Les feels that the chemistry between the current group of coaches is too good to risk messing up with someone like Tenuta.

Sonof504

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Darn, I really like Tenuta. Whatever they do I will approve of though. NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS DONT LIE(Unless they're AP >_>)

Rugger

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The defense was pretty aggressive when healthy. The injuries started to pile up and it's harder to send so many blitzes when your players are worn out.

I disagree. I think Bo likes to play off the ball a lot and tries to put his players in the right spots in the event of a mistake. I do not think he dictated the game enough even when we were healthy.

It happened in the Tennessee game two years ago when we were up 21, it happened in the SEC championship that same year against UGA, and it was a regular occurrence since. I personally think that Bo is an average-good DC who happened to be surrounded by superior talent...kind of like Crowton making Miles look better than he really is.

It is not to be too critical of Bo, but I would have liked to see a more aggressive D that put continuous pressure in the other teams backfield. We got away with rushing 4 and as good as they were they would have been better rushing 5+ in many situation IMO because they did not generate enough pressure, but when he decided to blitz we were usually successful. I am hoping for a Saban-isk DC, which is why I was hoping Will Muschamp would be brought in as DC. Either way as long as LSU keeps bring in talent we should be fine.

ROUSTER

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Rugger, I couldn't agree with you more.
Bo was aggressive at times, but then other times he'd just get plain conservative.
Against Ky, we sat back and kept waiting for Woodson to make mistakes. It ended up costing us.
Against Ark, 4th and 10 and we basically rushed 2(Pittman played a spy on DMac and Dorsey wasn't even 1/2 of himself at that time) and allowed them to convert what proved to be a game winner.
Then all of the sudden, he'll bring some pressure.
But, I can't complain too much I think Bo P was a solid DC, but I wouldn't say a great DC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom