RUMOR: LSU about to announce their Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

Again, I understand where you're coming from, and I will admit that at that moment watching the game I was incredulous that we did not blitz; but looking back at the play and seeing the offense they were running, I completely understood the play call. Were I a coach (and I'm not nor ever will I be), I probably would have done the exact same thing because I would have felt that a blitz against that offensive formation was just asking for a long pass completion.
Who knows? The blitz might have worked, or they might have scored a TD because of it. We'll never know. What I do know is if the secondary had a done a better job covering the few receivers they had to cover, the pass wouldn't have been completed.

My problem was this. It's 4th and 10 and you have a 7 point lead. Stop them and the games over. So why not pressure him and force his hand. You get beat by a nice read or throw and your still only tied. I might not have brought the house, but I would have blitzed at least 1 guy. Again it's all 2nd guessing.
Honestly, I think they had the play covered well (other than McCray). And I think McCray simply took his eyes off Hillis when Dick started rolling out. But, I also think that Bo expect them to dump the ball to DMac or run a draw. Thus, they basically had 2 spies on him. I can understand Highsmith spying him. But, to also drop back one of your best pass rushers in Pittman just struck me as odd.

You missed the point. You did not say what I quoted just like no one said that Bo needed to call a blitz every play. I was making up an example just like you made up a viewpoint.
I'm not a journalism major, but when you use quotation marks, you are quoting someone. You did a poor job of getting your point across if that is what you meant.

I am still waiting for the extremist attitude explanation. I never accused someone of stating that you had to blitz on every play to be considered aggressive. I never even insinuated it. However, too many people (in this thread) link blitzing with aggressive playcalling. The right or wrong is simply obvious. It doesn't require you or me to agree or disagree. That's not extremist, although kudos to you in your attempt to paint me in that corner.

When Pellini was hired, they touted his defense's ability to create turnovers by swarming to the ball and always playing "up the field" on defense putting pressure on the offense. He's also been known to script his defense and give multiple looks to offenses early in the game to get the opposing players guessing.

From the Times-Pic: Pelini’s defensive philosophy is built around aggressiveness and turnovers – he likes lots of both. Unlike Saban, who preferred man-to-man coverage in the secondary, Pelini likes zone and while he will blitz, it won’t be near as much as Saban.

Saban was a chess master once the offense broke the huddle, giving his players many options and relying on them to pick up the changes quickly. Pelini wants his players’ minds uncluttered so they can take the shortest distance to the ball and be ready to take it away when they get there.

There are plenty of links. You can find the rest. I don't have to prove what I know and you choose to ignore.

Rarely? And you question how much I watch college football.
Another thing is that it's assumed that the fact that DMac stayed in to block, that he would actually pick up the blitz or absolutely stone-wall the blitzer.
You said that if McFadden picked up the blocker. Did you mean "pick up the blocker" or "attempt to pick up the blocker and miss the block"? Make up your mind. There is a distinct difference between picking up a blocker and not picking up the blocker. One allows the QB to throw the ball without pressure and one allows pressure to be placed on the QB.

Seriously. I'm really trying to be patient here...

And even worse on that particular play, we had not 1 but 2 spies on DMac (Pittman and Highsmith).
I don't knopw if I would call either of them spies as much as I would say that the defense was playing in a zone coverage. I would have to ask Pelini or one of the players. That's not a safe assumption for you to make.

Couple that with the fact that Dorsey could barely move and you were rushing 2 players. Those 2 players(mainly T. Jackson) actually got token pressure.
One other thing, I'll take it you've never watched much of C.Dick as a QB. He's been terrible every time I've seen him. But, if given enough time even a blind squirrel will find a nutt.
I have seen him play a few times. He's just a horrible as he was that game.

Rugger very good points. MLU, I respect your opinion, I simply disagree. But, Rugger is dead on. Bo P is aggressive at times. But, usually he likes to sit back and wait for his superior athletes to make plays.
Wow. You didn't even read what I wrote. This is pointless...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom