RUMOR: LSU about to announce their Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

B.S. Woodson was a surgeon and got rid of he ball before the blitz could get to him. When that happens, you have to try something else, which is usually try to get pressure with your front four and drop the back seven into coverage, Pellini didn't just decide to alter his defensive philosophy.

If you don't know that Pellini called one of the most aggressive defenses, then you either don't know football or didn't watch LSU. You decide.

Evidently I saw a very much different game than you against Ky. I saw very little blitzing and very little pressure on Woodson in general. He had time to sit back and pick up his receivers. Some were quick timing routes, but some were also down the field where Woodson needed protection and got it.
And Pelini does not call one of the most aggressive defenses. He is aggressive at times, but his main goal (and he's stated as much) is to get turnovers. This years D was alright, very good when healthy. But from the middle of the season on, they got abused quite a bit.

And the 4th and 10 play was not an empty back field, DMac was in the backfield. If Pelini was Ultra-Aggressive as you mention, he would have come after a mediocre at best QB in Dick on that play. Instead we sat back and gave up an easy 1st down completion. Of course we could have blitzed and gotten burned as well.

I think Pelini was a good DC, just not a great DC.

Evidently I saw a very much different game than you against Ky. I saw very little blitzing and very little pressure on Woodson in general. He had time to sit back and pick up his receivers. Some were quick timing routes, but some were also down the field where Woodson needed protection and got it.
I never said that he blitzed a lot in the Kentucky game. I explained why he did not blitz a lot during the Kentucky game. You pretty much just repeated what I said. :dunno:

And Pelini does not call one of the most aggressive defenses. He is aggressive at times, but his main goal (and he's stated as much) is to get turnovers. This years D was alright, very good when healthy. But from the middle of the season on, they got abused quite a bit.
You simply don't watch much football. Last year's defense was much more aggressive than this past year's defense. I don't recall ever seeing a defensive philosophy focused on creating turnovers and the defense wasn't aggressive. That's pretty much hand-in-hand.

And the 4th and 10 play was not an empty back field, DMac was in the backfield. If Pelini was Ultra-Aggressive as you mention, he would have come after a mediocre at best QB in Dick on that play. Instead we sat back and gave up an easy 1st down completion. Of course we could have blitzed and gotten burned as well.
I watched the play on YouTube before I posted that previously. I wasn't at the game, but from the view that CBS gave the entire world, the backfield was empty.

Unless you have Auburn's defense.
Auburn played a great game against Arkansas. I can't take anything away from that. Things just lined up right for Arkansas that day against LSU.

Auburn still blows, though...

We'll agree to disagree. But, maybe you need to pay a little closer attention to the games yourself. Go back and look at the LSU D from the middle of the season on and tell me that you would define that as an "Aggressive Defense". If that's the case, maybe you need to question your own football knowledge.
Again, he's aggressive at times and it pays off. But, I would hardly call him an aggressive coord.

Don't know what the camera's showed, but the whole world (and CBS) is blind if they didn't see DMac blocking on the 4th and 10 play and on of our best pass rushers (K.Pittman) not rushing but actually shadowing DMac.

I think LSU's offense is the reason they lost the Arkansas game more so than the defense. The should have sat Flynn with his hurt shoulder and let RP play. LSU should have been able to do whatever they wanted on Arkansas' defense and they did not.

I think LSU's offense is the reason they lost the Arkansas game more so than the defense. The should have sat Flynn with his hurt shoulder and let RP play. LSU should have been able to do whatever they wanted on Arkansas' defense and they did not.

No that 4th and 10 was the reason we lost the game. Period.

If the offense took care of business in that game the way they should have, it would have never came down to that play.

If the offense took care of business in that game the way they should have, it would have never came down to that play.

same can be said about the defense though right?

you are right. Should have, would have, could have talk is a slippery slope.

you are right. Should have, would have, could have talk is a slippery slope.

Exactly. we both have valid points and we'll never know which is "more" right.

However the reason I stick with the 4th and 10 is despite the way the offense and defense played the entire game. When you have 4th and 10 in your house with a chance to go to the National Championship game on the line... you gotta make that stop.

My personal preference is that you bring heat.. I would rather bring pressure and get burnt than let a mediocre QB stand in the pocket will all day to find an open receiver. Pressure will typically force a QB to do something he doesn't want to do and will also take the pressure off of the corners who had been struggling. Longer time in the pocket = longer time the corners have to keep up with the receivers.

We'll agree to disagree. But, maybe you need to pay a little closer attention to the games yourself. Go back and look at the LSU D from the middle of the season on and tell me that you would define that as an "Aggressive Defense". If that's the case, maybe you need to question your own football knowledge.
Again, he's aggressive at times and it pays off. But, I would hardly call him an aggressive coord.

Don't know what the camera's showed, but the whole world (and CBS) is blind if they didn't see DMac blocking on the 4th and 10 play and on of our best pass rushers (K.Pittman) not rushing but actually shadowing DMac.
I don't know what else I was doing, but you're right. McFadden was in the backfield to block on that play. Here is the clip (2:09) that shows it. McFadden never actually touches anyone. Beckwith drops back and watches him as the RB is the MLB's assignment. The front did get pressure on Casey Dick as he was unable to step up into the pocket to throw the ball. he rolled out to see the field and saw Hillis. If you want to blame someone, blame Danny McCray for letting Hillis get open.

Who do you blitz? A lesser RB might have drawn a blitz from Beckwith, but the odds are that you cover deep and let them have the underneath routes to prevent the big play. Odds are less that Hills converts compared to Monk, McFadden, Jones, etc. At some point you have to give Arkansas some credit, no?

Yes, I would consider LSU's defense to be aggressive. Some games (as well as some season) could be considered to eb more aggressive than others, but you can't blitz on every play. Even when you think you should blitz, you still can't all the time. Personnel plays a big part as well as offensive play calls and what the defense is set up to defend. It's not as simple as telling a few guys to try and kill the QB on every play. It's a very simplistic and ignorant view of football.

Nobody stated that being Aggressive means that you have to blitz every time. The question is whether Pelini is Very Aggressive or not. You say he's aggressive, I say he isn't. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

My problem with some of your statements on here are that you talk as if you absolutely know and that if we see different we "Must not know much about football". I can promise while I'm no genius, I do know my share of football and have watched every play of LSU's season since before I graduated from there back in 2000.

And for the record, there were actually 2 spies on DMac on the play (go back and watch if you like). K.Pittman laid back at DE(I don't understand that at all) and Ali Highsmith basically dropped about 5 yds and was watching DMac as well. Also, Dorsey just kind of played a zone type rush as well. So essentially you had 2 guys rushing Jackson(who did get a little pressure) and I believe Nevis. My problem then and now was that it was 4th and 10, but bigger than that you had a TD lead. You get burned by blitzing and give up a TD, you don't lose the game. And your not exactly playing against V.Young or T.Tebow. It's C.Dick. Make him make a quick decision and you probably make him make a bad decision.
In the end, it doesn't matter. LSU is the National Champion and deservedly so.

I don't know what else I was doing, but you're right. McFadden was in the backfield to block on that play. Here is the clip (2:09) that shows it. McFadden never actually touches anyone. Beckwith drops back and watches him as the RB is the MLB's assignment. The front did get pressure on Casey Dick as he was unable to step up into the pocket to throw the ball. he rolled out to see the field and saw Hillis. If you want to blame someone, blame Danny McCray for letting Hillis get open.

Who do you blitz? A lesser RB might have drawn a blitz from Beckwith, but the odds are that you cover deep and let them have the underneath routes to prevent the big play. Odds are less that Hills converts compared to Monk, McFadden, Jones, etc. At some point you have to give Arkansas some credit, no?

Yes, I would consider LSU's defense to be aggressive. Some games (as well as some season) could be considered to eb more aggressive than others, but you can't blitz on every play. Even when you think you should blitz, you still can't all the time. Personnel plays a big part as well as offensive play calls and what the defense is set up to defend. It's not as simple as telling a few guys to try and kill the QB on every play. It's a very simplistic and ignorant view of football.

I think you are again going to an extreme to make a point. The "if you don't agree with me you do not know football" or "you can't not do X all of the time and expect positive results" mantra really proves nothing. I could say "if you think LSU has an aggressive defense you either don't watch the games ort don't know football" or "Never blitzing ensures that you always have seven guys in coverage to make play is a very simplistic and ignorant view of football".

No one is making extreme statements on either side of the debate except in an attempt to discredit another's point of view, so I do not understand why anyone would try to use that tactic to prove a point. It looks weak.

I think there were several times during the season and in previous seasons that I though Bo should have sent more pressure. When you rush 4 and have a QB drop back and have 5+ seconds to make a play over and over during a game that tells you you bring enough pressure.

Plus you do not always blitz to stop the pass. As I am sure you know it works effectively to stop the run as well. Does that mean you blitz all of the time? No, but I am a fan of putting offenses on their heels early.

For the record, you're not wrong because you disagree with me. You're wrong because... you're wrong. My opinion has nothing to do with it. Agreeing or disagreeing with me has nothing to do with it.

Bo Pelini is and has always been known as a guy who calls an aggressive scheme. You like to point out a handful of plays where the defense didn't blitz as an example of a passive defense and that's simply not an accurate way to prove your point.

"Never blitzing ensures that you always have seven guys in coverage to make play is a very simplistic and ignorant view of football".
When did I say this? I see nothing extreme about what I said. Please quote me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom