RUMOR: LSU about to announce their Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

Exactly. we both have valid points and we'll never know which is "more" right.

However the reason I stick with the 4th and 10 is despite the way the offense and defense played the entire game. When you have 4th and 10 in your house with a chance to go to the National Championship game on the line... you gotta make that stop.

My personal preference is that you bring heat.. I would rather bring pressure and get burnt than let a mediocre QB stand in the pocket will all day to find an open receiver. Pressure will typically force a QB to do something he doesn't want to do and will also take the pressure off of the corners who had been struggling. Longer time in the pocket = longer time the corners have to keep up with the receivers.

I understand the argument about blitzing on that play; however, if you go to YouTube and look at the play, you'll find that Darren McFadden is standing in the backfield blocking no one the entire time, so if LSU had blitzed, McFadden would have been there to pick it up and "tada", the quarterback still has no pressure on him.
Considering they could see that he had the extra blocker in the backfield, it made more sense to send more people into coverage. The problem with the play was not that we didn't get pressure, but that our backfield didn't cover the receivers well enough. With 6 guys blocking 1 quarterback (7 really, couonting the TE), this was not a question of two guys outrunning two dbs, it was SIX guys in the backfield (and one up close watching for the outlet pass - most likely to McFadden or the TE) not able to keep three guys covered. IMHO, that's just a question of poor execution in coverage, not poor play calling.

I If you want to blame someone, blame Danny McCray for letting Hillis get open.

Somehow the most direct reason why the Razorbacks converted on 4th and 10 is being ignored. It hardly matters what play is called if it's not executed properly :shrug:

I understand the argument about blitzing on that play; however, if you go to YouTube and look at the play, you'll find that Darren McFadden is standing in the backfield blocking no one the entire time, so if LSU had blitzed, McFadden would have been there to pick it up and "tada", the quarterback still has no pressure on him.
Considering they could see that he had the extra blocker in the backfield, it made more sense to send more people into coverage. The problem with the play was not that we didn't get pressure, but that our backfield didn't cover the receivers well enough. With 6 guys blocking 1 quarterback (7 really, couonting the TE), this was not a question of two guys outrunning two dbs, it was SIX guys in the backfield (and one up close watching for the outlet pass - most likely to McFadden or the TE) not able to keep three guys covered. IMHO, that's just a question of poor execution in coverage, not poor play calling.

I somewhat agree. But, had you blitzed, even if it is picked up, it would have forced Dick to make a quicker decision. Then you have a much better chance of a screwup.
It really could have worked either way, it simply didn't work.
But, IMO a coach that thinks aggressively would have come after the QB in that situation.

I somewhat agree. But, had you blitzed, even if it is picked up, it would have forced Dick to make a quicker decision.
You're arguing that a blitz that's picked up (ie. blocked, stopped, not bothering the QB, etc.) forces a QB to make a quicker decision? How?

Name an aggressive Defensive Coordinator and I'm sure we can single out one play where a fan feels that he should have blitzed and we can all say that he's not aggressive...

That may be part of the flaw in my opinion. I still to this day haven't seen the play. I was on the road and was listening to the game on XM. I just remember hearing how he had all day back there to make his reads and the throw.

I still would have been happier with bringing the house than giving the guy a day and 1/2 to throw.

He should have been replaced since before Auburn he's terrible.

Not exactly.

McCray is a true safety. But for some odd reason Pelini used him more frequently as a nickel CB as the season progressed... Might be a sign that Jai isn't progressing as fast as hoped, or not.

He started off well, at safety...

VT - 6 solo, 1 assist, 1 PD
MTSU - 2 solo for losses, 1 assist
USC - 5 solo, 6 assist, 1 INT, 1 PD
Tulane - 1 solo
Florida - 2 assist
Kentucky - 5 solo
Auburn - 4 solo

Unfortunately for him, he'll be competing with the ridiculously athletic Chad Jones and the beast known as Harry Coleman.

Not exactly.

McCray is a true safety. But for some odd reason Pelini used him more frequently as a nickel CB as the season progressed... Might be a sign that Jai isn't progressing as fast as hoped, or not.

He started off well, at safety...

VT - 6 solo, 1 assist, 1 PD
MTSU - 2 solo for losses, 1 assist
USC - 5 solo, 6 assist, 1 INT, 1 PD
Tulane - 1 solo
Florida - 2 assist
Kentucky - 5 solo
Auburn - 4 solo

Unfortunately for him, he'll be competing with the ridiculously athletic Chad Jones and the beast known as Harry Coleman.

McCray was the weak link in that defense. I think it was Spurrier who exposed the weakness in the USC game. Then Florida, Kentucky and everyone else took advantage of him. But, I don't blame McCray, he was playing out of position and doing what he could. You would like to have though Jai Eugene could have played the nickle back spot, but apparently he wasn't ready.

You're arguing that a blitz that's picked up (ie. blocked, stopped, not bothering the QB, etc.) forces a QB to make a quicker decision? How?

Name an aggressive Defensive Coordinator and I'm sure we can single out one play where a fan feels that he should have blitzed and we can all say that he's not aggressive...

How many times have you seen a team blitz, but even though it's picked up by the RB, it forces the QB to hurry a throw or move in a direction that he didn't want too, or even run him into another pass rusher? Quite often.
By the same token, you can blitz and get burned.
Again there is no perfect answer, before the fact. Turns out the call was wrong because we lost the game.....

You think Pelini is aggressive.
I think he's aggressive sometimes and too conservative others.
Oh well.

McCray was the weak link in that defense. I think it was Spurrier who exposed the weakness in the USC game.

Huh? SC was McCray's best game. He was all over the place at safety and in the box.

First time I remember him at nickel was for Florida, and then it was all downhill.

Also played well in the MSU game. 2 solo (one for loss), 1 assist, 1 sack, 1 INT.

For the record, you're not wrong because you disagree with me. You're wrong because... you're wrong. My opinion has nothing to do with it. Agreeing or disagreeing with me has nothing to do with it.

Bo Pelini is and has always been known as a guy who calls an aggressive scheme. You like to point out a handful of plays where the defense didn't blitz as an example of a passive defense and that's simply not an accurate way to prove your point.

Originally Posted by Rugger
"Never blitzing ensures that you always have seven guys in coverage to make play is a very simplistic and ignorant view of football".
When did I say this? I see nothing extreme about what I said. Please quote me.

You missed the point. You did not say what I quoted just like no one said that Bo needed to call a blitz every play. I was making up an example just like you made up a viewpoint.

It is an extremist attitude. Just like the italicized part. I do not see where those type of statements helps generate a debate i.e. I right, you are wrong and if you don't agree you know nothing about football. That shtick was played out by previous members and it did not work out then either.

Now back to the debate. I have heard that Bo was regarded as one of the top DC in the nation, but I have not heard him overly referred to as aggressive (maybe you can provide a link). The debate for the most part relative because people's definition of aggressiveness is mainly prospective, which makes the I am right you are wrong angle for this debate even more silly and unproductive. I look at Saban (when he was at LSU) as aggressive as opposed to Gibbs as not-so-much, but you may see things differently.

Again I will point to the rush 4 and play your cbs man up, but ten yards off the ball is a failure defense. A decent QB will pick you apart. I also do not think he was overly creative with his scheme. Everyone knew when and where the blitz was coming. Rarely did we even try to disguise it. In fact I read in a Sports Illustrated article (and I am paraphrasing) that he likes to run a simple scheme that puts his players in a position to make plays. That is far from saying he likes to dictate the tempo and pace of the game, put offenses on their heels, and create mistakes/turnovers.

Personally I think Bo was helped by having superior talent just like Miles benefits from have a very good OC. However these are debatable points. Agree or disagree, whatever, but I watch and played enough football.

How many times have you seen a team blitz, but even though it's picked up by the RB, it forces the QB to hurry a throw or move in a direction that he didn't want too, or even run him into another pass rusher?
Rarely. if it's not picked up, then often. QB's that hurry and throw the ball because they got good blocking usually don't start many games.

Rarely. if it's not picked up, then often. QB's that hurry and throw the ball because they got good blocking usually don't start many games.

Rarely? And you question how much I watch college football.
Another thing is that it's assumed that the fact that DMac stayed in to block, that he would actually pick up the blitz or absolutely stone-wall the blitzer. And even worse on that particular play, we had not 1 but 2 spies on DMac (Pittman and Highsmith). Couple that with the fact that Dorsey could barely move and you were rushing 2 players. Those 2 players(mainly T. Jackson) actually got token pressure.
One other thing, I'll take it you've never watched much of C.Dick as a QB. He's been terrible every time I've seen him. But, if given enough time even a blind squirrel will find a nutt.

Rugger very good points. MLU, I respect your opinion, I simply disagree. But, Rugger is dead on. Bo P is aggressive at times. But, usually he likes to sit back and wait for his superior athletes to make plays.

That may be part of the flaw in my opinion. I still to this day haven't seen the play. I was on the road and was listening to the game on XM. I just remember hearing how he had all day back there to make his reads and the throw.

I still would have been happier with bringing the house than giving the guy a day and 1/2 to throw.

Again, I understand where you're coming from, and I will admit that at that moment watching the game I was incredulous that we did not blitz; but looking back at the play and seeing the offense they were running, I completely understood the play call. Were I a coach (and I'm not nor ever will I be), I probably would have done the exact same thing because I would have felt that a blitz against that offensive formation was just asking for a long pass completion.
Who knows? The blitz might have worked, or they might have scored a TD because of it. We'll never know. What I do know is if the secondary had a done a better job covering the few receivers they had to cover, the pass wouldn't have been completed.

Not to get off topic, but has LSU officially announced their new defensive coordinator(s) yet?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom