RUMOR: LSU about to announce their Defensive Coordinator (1 Viewer)

Rugger, I couldn't agree with you more.
Bo was aggressive at times, but then other times he'd just get plain conservative.
Against Ky, we sat back and kept waiting for Woodson to make mistakes. It ended up costing us.
Against Ark, 4th and 10 and we basically rushed 2(Pittman played a spy on DMac and Dorsey wasn't even 1/2 of himself at that time) and allowed them to convert what proved to be a game winner.
Then all of the sudden, he'll bring some pressure.
But, I can't complain too much I think Bo P was a solid DC, but I wouldn't say a great DC.

kind of like Crowton making Miles look better than he really is.

Hows that? Crowton gets all the credit for the offense, as he should. He was also a failure as a HC at BYU. Credit Miles for making the hire.

I'm not too worried about the defense. Miles said we're pretty much running the same system no matter who'll be DC, but Peveto is supposedly a pretty aggressive coach.

I can't believe we settled on that and didn't go for Tenuta.

Very very disappointed.

Rugger, I couldn't agree with you more.
Bo was aggressive at times, but then other times he'd just get plain conservative.
Against Ky, we sat back and kept waiting for Woodson to make mistakes. It ended up costing us.
B.S. Woodson was a surgeon and got rid of he ball before the blitz could get to him. When that happens, you have to try something else, which is usually try to get pressure with your front four and drop the back seven into coverage, Pellini didn't just decide to alter his defensive philosophy.

If you don't know that Pellini called one of the most aggressive defenses, then you either don't know football or didn't watch LSU. You decide.

B.S. Woodson was a surgeon and got rid of he ball before the blitz could get to him. When that happens, you have to try something else, which is usually try to get pressure with your front four and drop the back seven into coverage, Pellini didn't just decide to alter his defensive philosophy.

If you don't know that Pellini called one of the most aggressive defenses, then you either don't know football or didn't watch LSU. You decide.
What happened with Arkansas?

Injuries caught up with them and the best running tandem in America took advantage...

4th and 10, we don't blitz and Hillis gets a 1st down.
You don't blitz an empty backfield in the red zone under any circumstances. You're practically giving a TD away. You cover the scoring routes and keep an eye on the underneath stuff.

Last edited:
Hows that? Crowton gets all the credit for the offense, as he should. He was also a failure as a HC at BYU. Credit Miles for making the hire.

I'm not too worried about the defense. Miles said we're pretty much running the same system no matter who'll be DC, but Peveto is supposedly a pretty aggressive coach.

Miles' skill is in recruiting, picking and keeping a good staff and keeping the team together. I don't think he is a great X and O coach. But, he makes up for that by having good assistants like Crowton. He gets credit for managing all that and that is what makes him a good head coach. Some guys, probably Crowton, just don't have the skills to keep that all together. At this point, the only weakness I see in Miles is an occasionally questionable game management and a team that makes too many mental errors. Game management can be learned and the lack of mental errors in the BCSCG shows that Miles can correct the mental errors given time.

Anway, I would not be real happy with the Co-Defensive Coordinator idea, but I guess you have to trust that Miles knows what he is doing. Either way, Peveto is a good recruiter, but he really was not doing a good job with the special teams. Our punt return team and both of our coverage teams have been bad for at least two years. The only thing saving the kick return team is Holiday's incredible talent. I'd really like to see a special teams coach focus on getting Holiday to the point that he can reliably field punts. We need to get him the ball on punt returns. Hopefully that will all change with a new special teams coach.

You don't blitz an empty backfield in the red zone under any circumstances. You're practically giving a TD away. You cover the scoring routes and keep an eye on the underneath stuff.
That defense made Dick look like a decent QB.

Miles' skill is in recruiting, picking and keeping a good staff and keeping the team together. I don't think he is a great X and O coach. But, he makes up for that by having good assistants like Crowton. He gets credit for managing all that and that is what makes him a good head coach. Some guys, probably Crowton, just don't have the skills to keep that all together. At this point, the only weakness I see in Miles is an occasionally questionable game management and a team that makes too many mental errors. Game management can be learned and the lack of mental errors in the BCSCG shows that Miles can correct the mental errors given time.

Anway, I would not be real happy with the Co-Defensive Coordinator idea, but I guess you have to trust that Miles knows what he is doing. Either way, Peveto is a good recruiter, but he really was not doing a good job with the special teams. Our punt return team and both of our coverage teams have been bad for at least two years. The only thing saving the kick return team is Holiday's incredible talent. I'd really like to see a special teams coach focus on getting Holiday to the point that he can reliably field punts. We need to get him the ball on punt returns. Hopefully that will all change with a new special teams coach.

IMO thats what you need most in a HC in college football. Recruiting skills and the ability to bring in and maintain a solid coaching staff are most important. It's not a big deal to me that Miles isn't very strong with X&O's because Crowton is and is running his own offense. As long as Miles keeps a solid staff around him, picking up Top 10 recruiting classes, and getting the team emotionally ready for big games, we'll be alright.

That defense made Dick look like a decent QB.
I don't think that you even watched the game.

Dick completed a 10 of 19 passes for 94 yards even with LSU unable to get much of a pass rush on him. His entire game consisted of quick dumps to the runningbacks (Hillis-5, Jones-2, Monk-2, no one else with more than one) which was just enought to keep the blitz off of him.

Without the best tailback tandem in the country, LSU would have walked away and brought the house on every play. You just can't do that when you have McFadden and Jones (and apparently Hillis, too) to keep an eye on like that. One lucky dump off to one of those guys as an outlet and you're looking at an easy score or a huge gain if you blitz abd get caught with everyone behind the ball.

I guess I don't know football sense the standard has been set.

Pellini was not all that aggressive IMO. He tried to rely on the front four generating enough pressure so he could drop seven way too much. Sure LSU had a very good front four and when heathy they could play the run as good as anyone, but they did not get consistant pressure in pass defense. There are not too many teams that can. When we brought heat 9-10 times we would at least hurry the QB and many times we would knock him down/get a sack.

What I could not stand is the "play ten yards off the ball and rush 4" defense. That is almost as logical as cutting taxes and increasing spending.

I don't think that you even watched the game.

Dick completed a 10 of 19 passes for 94 yards even with LSU unable to get much of a pass rush on him. His entire game consisted of quick dumps to the runningbacks (Hillis-5, Jones-2, Monk-2, no one else with more than one) which was just enought to keep the blitz off of him.

Without the best tailback tandem in the country, LSU would have walked away and brought the house on every play. You just can't do that when you have McFadden and Jones (and apparently Hillis, too) to keep an eye on like that. One lucky dump off to one of those guys as an outlet and you're looking at an easy score or a huge gain if you blitz abd get caught with everyone behind the ball.

Unless you have Auburn's defense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom