Rumor....Saints Work Out P-Todd Sauerbrun.... (1 Viewer)

Possibly they bring him in and cut both Cundiff and Weatherford to free up another active roster spot?

Yes that's correct. It pretty much killed Payton to even bring back Lewis and McAfee because they are solely special teams players. You just know having 3 kickers dress out every game has to be eating away at Payton.

Hopefully it's just for this stretch run though, I don't like Sauerbrun.

I think we need a kick-offing punter... Not a kick-offing kicker. Because Carney is already money on FGs... whereas, if Weatherford is struggling on punts, we could always send in Sauerbrun.

I personally feel the other way on that deal. If we have to have a third K/P, I'd prefer it to be a kicker. It's comforting to know that on the off chance Carney gets injured during a big game we won't have to send a punter out there for a game winning FG.

On the other hand, if they are looking at him to kickoff and punt, saving a roster spot. I can understand that.

Possibly they bring him in and cut both Cundiff and Weatherford to free up another active roster spot?

This sounds likely. Why would you carry Weatherford and Cundiff, when Sauerbrun can do both?

He's a former pro-bowl punter, but he's had a lot of negative press -- drug and alcohol related. I don't want anything to do with him. If Payton is really wanting to keep guys of good character on the team, he'll send him packing.

He's a former pro-bowl punter, but he's had a lot of negative press -- drug and alcohol related. I don't want anything to do with him. If Payton is really wanting to keep guys of good character on the team, he'll send him packing.

No. He's a punter and probably only for the stretch run. Punters barely matter in the lockerroom, I wouldn't mind him being signed.

I think Sean Payton is gearing up for the playoffs or at least the playoff run. In the playoffs all the little details matter especially when it comes to field postition and special teams is a big part of that with kicking off and punting. We've seen Payton address the kick offs and with Weatherford struggling Sunday, he probably wants to see if he can address that too.

You can tell Sean Payton is a Parcells guy because we've seen Parcells cut a high priced kicker because I think he realized it could hurt him down the road in the playoffs when everything is so close.

Someone mentioned that Sauerbraun can handle kickoff duty as well as punting. I think they are happy with Carney so the only logical conclusion I can make is that due to Weatherford's struggles, they maybe bringing Sauerbraun in as insurance. I think if they do decide to sign him, it will be for him to handle kickoff's and as an insurance policy if Weatherford doesn't emerge from the slump he's in. I think Cundiff would be released. I don't see both Cundiff and Weatherford being released. I could be wrong.

I think he took some ephedra, went out drinking and had a steroid cocktail.

That makes sense. Seems like a good move to me if he can get the job done.

I would make even more sense considering we would not have to carry three kickers on the 45 man active list for each game but is Payton really ready to risk all of this.

DONOTWANT_pigeons.jpg

not to threadjack (but I'm gonna) why the hell do punters no longer punt for the corner any more? they all try o make the ball bounce at the 1 yard line and expect it to bounce straight up, which it does maybe 2% of the time. Angling for the corner seems more effective to me.

I like what payton is doing.....For us to win in the playoffs everything has to be perfect Special teams of course included. If we have the money why not sign a better Kicker and Punter. In the begining those spots were used for players that might have been injured and need back ups. Now that we are closing in on the season let those spots be filled with people who can help our special teams!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom