rumor (1 Viewer)

How they could afford Briggs after Clements is beyond me.

Easily. I try to give a breakdown of how the cap works in this thread http://www.saintsreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58255 to show how a team can afford so many high-priced free agents. The days of the cap ruining teams is over. Really and truly, the time to get better is upon us. Because I slowly but surely seeing the days when parity was a thing hoped for returning. Teams that are good will be and teams that are bad will be bad. Most teams will be able to retain their top free agents--guys they want--and bad teams will have to rely solely upon the draft in hopes of getting better. We are in a good position to be good for a number of years with a top flight QB in Brees, a gamebreaker in Bush, a solid WR in Colston (with a potential complement in Meachem) and other core players that we can hopefully build around this off-season via free agency and the draft.

Briggs is the one guy that we could certainly use but I do not think we'll get for these reasons:

1- He is going to be VERY expensive, in relation to how high Nate Clements was last year.

CB is a premium position; what Clements made will impact the deals Asomugha, Trufant and Samuel will get, but not so much what Briggs makes.

If they get him they're 1 LBer away from one of the best corps in the league right now
Dome Patrol Mark 2?

briggs1.jpg
laurinitis.jpg
nfl_g_fujita_195.jpg

Dome Patrol Mark 2?

briggs1.jpg
laurinitis.jpg
nfl_g_fujita_195.jpg

Transform the defense in one off season.

Sign:

Gibril Wilson, FS, New York Giants
Corey Williams, DT, Greenbay Packers
Lance Briggs, OLB, Chicago Bears
Asante Samuel, CB, New England Patriots (I would rather Nnamdi Asomugha from the Raiders and Marcus Trufant would be cheaper but both corners will be resigned or franchised)

Draft:

1st.) James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State
2nd.) Best corner on the board

Defense:

RE - Will Smith
DT - Corey Williams
NT - Hollis Thomas
LE - Charles Grant

WLB - Lance Briggs
MLB - James Laurinaitis
SLB - Scott Fujita

FS - Gibril Wilson
SS - Roman Harper

CB - Asante Samuel
CB - Jason David/Usama Young/Draft Pick

DO IT LOOMIS! :youpi-12:

what blows me away is not only can san fran afford these players as well as new england but why can't the saints get one?

Lance Briggs -- Patrick Willis -- Manny Lawson --YIKES!!! That's a good, no, GREAT linebacking corps.

We better be after this guy. Having Briggs and Fujita on the outside would be outstanding.

Briggs says that the 49ers have an interest in him. Someone explain to me how this isn't blatant tampering?

Transform the defense in one off season.

Sign:

Gibril Wilson, FS, New York Giants
Corey Williams, DT, Greenbay Packers
Lance Briggs, OLB, Chicago Bears
Asante Samuel, CB, New England Patriots (I would rather Nnamdi Asomugha from the Raiders and Marcus Trufant would be cheaper but both corners will be resigned or franchised)

Draft:

1st.) James Laurinaitis, MLB, Ohio State
2nd.) Best corner on the board

Defense:

RE - Will Smith
DT - Corey Williams
NT - Hollis Thomas
LE - Charles Grant

WLB - Lance Briggs
MLB - James Laurinaitis
SLB - Scott Fujita

FS - Gibril Wilson
SS - Roman Harper

CB - Asante Samuel
CB - Jason David/Usama Young/Draft Pick

DO IT LOOMIS! :youpi-12:

Why do people want Samuel? Y'all have a short memory. He is a 'zone CB. Didn't we have enough problems getting a 'zone CB from Indy last year??????

While at it we should try to get Haynesworth and Vanden Bosch from Titans to help our D

We're 30 million under the cap, and we need a big time LB. If we don't get him b/c we're unwilling to pay the going rate, then shame on Loomis and Benson.

I honestly don't want briggs... i'd rather get Demorrio Williams to play OLB... I'd sign Terrell Suggs to play RDE... I'd move Will Smith to LDE... and I'd move Grant to DT (3-tech).

BAMMM!!!! Our Dline is beastly.. and we can do all of this for the money that Briggs would want.

I don't want Briggs. I don't think linebackers are worthy enough of the type of money that is going to be thrown at him this offseason. He'll get a contract larger then Drew Brees currently has. Now no one can make me believe that a good/great linebacker is as important as a franchise quarterback.

They run a 3-4 while many feel Briggs is a WLB in a cover 2 scheme. I don't see them shelling out a big contract for a LB that probably could only play ILB for them and they already have Willis. They would be better served spending that free agent money on a guy like Faneca or Suggs (assuming the Ravens let him walk).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom