rumor (1 Viewer)

That isn't really a rumor, it has just been lifted from this Chicago Tribune story:
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...briggs,1,2245528.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

"I would hope the 49ers are interested, as well as other teams," Briggs said Friday. "It just tells you that you are valued around this league."

If Briggs likes to be told he is valued, we need to declare our interest sooner rather than later, because he would be such a great talent for us to land.

Briggs is the one guy that we could certainly use but I do not think we'll get for these reasons:

1- He is going to be VERY expensive, in relation to how high Nate Clements was last year.
2- He has had off the field issues. The whole hold out thing and the leaving the scene of the accident issue.
3- Competition. My goodness, can you imagine Briggs and Willis together in San Francisco?? If that team had a pulse on offense they should win 7 games just by scaring the **** out of opponents over the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
That would really solidify that LBing corps. Too bad Singletary won't be there.

Briggs is the one guy that we could certainly use but I do not think we'll get for these reasons:

1- He is going to be VERY expensive, in relation to how high Nate Clements was last year.
2- He has had off the field issues. The whole hold out thing and the leaving the scene of the accident issue.
3- Competition. My goodness, can you imagine Briggs and Willis together in San Francisco?? If that team had a pulse on offense they should win 7 games just by scaring the **** out of opponents over the middle.

He is going to very expensive, but I think the off the field issues are overblown. As for competition, playing with Willis would be tempting but we're way closer to a championship than they are, and Briggs has had a good look at our team. If he thinks he can be a final piece in a championship contending team, it might be more tempting than playing with the DROY.

Payton, Gibbs, Loomis and Benson

Better get on the ball, and be prepared as soon as free agency begins or we will lose the ability to attain our coveted players (like we have unfortunantly in the past)

How they could afford Briggs after Clements is beyond me.

How they could afford Briggs after Clements is beyond me.

If they can do it, so can we. Also it would give Briggs a shot at his old team next year to boot. Then we sign Asante Samuel and we're in great shape. Samuel just might be tempted to come to N.O. to help us get our first ever Super Bowl.

we need an intimidator on defense and briggs could be that guy. i'd love to have him

If we're going to shell out a big contract, I'd rather it be to Trufant. There's plently of good talent at LB in FA (Bailey, Hobson, L. Johnson, D. WIlliams) and in the draft (Rivers, Highsmith, Adibi, Connor).

First thing I thought of was "Well, I can think of at least one way he might 'pull a Rickey Jackson' if he signed here." :hihi:

And yeah, never underestimate the power of "I'll be able to shove it in my old team's face next year. At least once." factor. If the Saints are interested, I could see Briggs returning the interest. To what degree remains to be seen. But I could definitely see Briggs being interested.

I think a major advantage over the niners that we would have would be the fact we don't have a major named linebacker on our team. It's purely speculation, but if briggs really wants to make a name for himself he might consider going somewhere where he isn't playing along side a urlacher or willis.

eric

ANYONE is going to be expensive. You don't get good players for cheap. We might as well overpay someone that is going to be better than anything we've had in a long time on defense. This whole "He will cost too much" philosophy is the reason we have Simoneau and Shanle. Instead of linebackers than disrupt plays and gets into the backfield before the QB has 10 seconds to throw to a receiver than eventually gets open.

First thing I thought of was "Well, I can think of at least one way he might 'pull a Rickey Jackson' if he signed here." :hihi:

And yeah, never underestimate the power of "I'll be able to shove it in my old team's face next year. At least once." factor. If the Saints are interested, I could see Briggs returning the interest. To what degree remains to be seen. But I could definitely see Briggs being interested.

I totally agree. Of course, there is a natural connection to be drawn between Briggs and the 49'ners since he is from California and the 49'ners plan to go spending again in free agency. But I do not believe this locks Briggs into going to the 49'ners and, as you suggested, if the Saints show interest in Briggs, there's likely to be reciprocity.

If they get him they're 1 LBer away from one of the best corps in the league right now

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom