Running backs (1 Viewer)

RetroMcBananaFace

AKA: retrobanana
Reaction score
How ridiculously stacked is the RB position right now. At least one, maybe two really good players are going to end up getting cut here.

Outside of the top 3 of Ingram/Hightower/Spiller, which you would assume are all safe, Marcus looked amazing against the Pats, Lasco was pretty great himself, and Cadet looked good too and would probably be one of our best special teamers.

Tough decision having to get rid of anybody here. I guess maybe there's a possiblity of recouping a draft pick by trading somebody.

I definitely don't think Hightower is safe. If Lasco and Murphy both continue to impress then Hightower will be the odd man out. I love Hightower and think he did a great job when needed last year but don't think he is that good to risk losing one of those guys. Hate to get rid of someone like him but Lasco can no doubt fill his role at RB being an all around back who can run north/south between the tackles as well. Also Lasco provides us with a guy who can contribute on STs which Hightower does not do. Then Murphy gives us insurance for the satellite back position if Spiller goes down while also being an important contributor to STs as our returner. Plus he has shown so far to be an improved runner in the 1st game and through camp.

I think we have the luxury to keep 2 young backs because of the veteran RBs in Ingram/Spiller entering the prime of their careers. IMO it's going to be between Hightower and Murphy for the 4th RB spot. If I had to choose now I'm taking Murphy but that could change.

I would agree with you on that, except for the obvious bromance with SP and Hightower, and SP sees him as a leader and has talking about needing leadership amongst the players for at least 2 years straight now.

But it's a good point. For that matter, if Spiller doesn't live up to expectations I suppose he could be gone too. I certainly wouldn't care to cut Lasco or Murphy to keep him if he struggles with injuries and picking up the offense the same way he did last year.

Yea I can see Hightower making the team and I would be fine with that. Really it's going to be up to Lasco and Murphy to see who makes the roster. I don't think there is much Hightower can do to make the roster but more those guys either to playing themselves on or off the team. I don't see anyway Spiller is cut. It would not benefit us at all to cut him now. Unless he has just had a terrible camp which he hasn't then the pre season games even if bad won't play himself off the roster. He could be cut after the season but no way before.

I'd keep Lasco and Cadet before Murphy. I feel uncomfortable when he gets the ball. How many fumbles had he had since entering the league? My guess is 3 last year and 1 already this year.... No thank you.

Didn't Hightower get cut last year only to be brought back after injuries? Or did I dream that one?

If so, why is he assumed safe?

Didn't Hightower get cut last year only to be brought back after injuries? Or did I dream that one?

If so, why is he assumed safe?

I think he was cut to make his salary not guaranteed, and we had Khiry here to play that second hard-running back style between the tackles.

When Hightower came back he lit up in the last few games, so I guess we've been judging him off that.

I think he was cut to make his salary not guaranteed, and we had Khiry here to play that second hard-running back style between the tackles.

When Hightower came back he lit up in the last few games, so I guess we've been judging him off that.

3.9 yards per carry is solid but I wouldn't call it "lighting it up"

Cadet is the ideal bottom of the roster player for this team. Can contribute in all phases..ST,,passing game.,pass pro.

For the past few years we have kept with 5/1 or 4/2 RB/FB on the roster this year looks like a 5/1 year. I expect us to keep 5 TBs, Ingram and Spillera 're the only 2 locks at this point. With Lasco looking like a safe bet. The final 2 spots will be between Hightower, Cadet and Murphy.

Hightower, pros, experience, leadership, short yardage back, blocking
cons age, doesn't offer much much else, no upside what you see is whaty you get.

Cadet, pros very good receiver, solid blocker, reliable, versatile, plays special teams
cons below average rusher, maxed out ceiling

Murphy, pros highest ceiling, most athletic, plays special teams
cons ball security was an issue last year and he struggled to read blocks

With Murphy if he can fix his ball security and show improvement reading his blocks he will make the roster if he doesn't then he becomes an easy cut.

I definitely don't think Hightower is safe. If Lasco and Murphy both continue to impress then Hightower will be the odd man out. I love Hightower and think he did a great job when needed last year but don't think he is that good to risk losing one of those guys. Hate to get rid of someone like him but Lasco can no doubt fill his role at RB being an all around back who can run north/south between the tackles as well. Also Lasco provides us with a guy who can contribute on STs which Hightower does not do. Then Murphy gives us insurance for the satellite back position if Spiller goes down while also being an important contributor to STs as our returner. Plus he has shown so far to be an improved runner in the 1st game and through camp.

I think we have the luxury to keep 2 young backs because of the veteran RBs in Ingram/Spiller entering the prime of their careers. IMO it's going to be between Hightower and Murphy for the 4th RB spot. If I had to choose now I'm taking Murphy but that could change.

My thoughts exactly....I don't think Hightower is a lock this year.....but I'm pretty sure with Murphy and Lasco's special team abilities they'll both make the team.....and I'm calling Cadet gone.

I think if you are going to keep 5. You keep 3main runners and two satellites and one of them being Murphy. Reason being is that Ingram gets hurt a lot, and Hightower is 30. So keeping Lasco seems locked in to ensure redundancy. Meanwhile if you cut one of the satellite backs Cadet would seem like THAT guy because you'll likely be able to get him back later since he hasn't exactly lit up the NFL.

Hightower is our only true battering ram, so I don't see him getting cut unless he's lost something.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom