Running game production prediction - WK 2 (1 Viewer)

AceTW

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Since it's becoming more and more likely that Pierre Thomas will not play Sunday, I was wondering what everybody thought about our running game production against the Eagles.

Putting aside which player you may be more a fan of, but speaking just as an observer of both's talent, are we more productive with Bell and Thomas splitting carries, or do the numbers not really change with either one out?

The ONLY thing that gives me the slightest worry about Bell is that he might get gassed early on in the game, and his production would likely drop leading to more passing plays. (I know, not really a bad thing, but in keeping with the 'balanced attack' and all we need a healthy runner in the backfield...)

With Thomas in, the only worry is that knee. I would hate to see him get more beat up and miss more time.

Thoughts?

We will have more than 100 rushing yards from all of our backs combined but less than 200 yards. When a team plays against Dallas, Washington, and the New York football Giants twice every year they get pretty good at defending the run or they lose. A lot.

hate to be a negative nancy, but I think we will abonden the run early Sunday. I think we will use a lot of screen/swing passes to rb's and write them off as "long hand-offs". We are one of only about 3 teams in the league that don't absolutely need a balanced offensive attack to win, so it wouldn't be the worst thing if we stuck to a 70:30 pass/run ratio for this week.

The ONLY thing that gives me the slightest worry about Bell is that he might get gassed early on in the game, and his production would likely drop leading to
Thoughts?

I think Bell has played himself into better shape.

We probably won't be running as much against the Eagles anyway.

I strongly believe Pierre will suit up, but will play little if any, unless Bell gets gassed and Reggie is ineffective.

If he is not 100%, sit him out until he is 100%. Mike Bell can carry the load...And he'll be happy to do it!!!

I think we'll actually run more than you think. The Eagles will be trying to blitz us and the way to slow that down is running the ball and screens/quick dump offs. You'll see a lot of 2 back sets whether its Bell and Bush or Bell and Evans in order to keep the Eagles off-balanced.

Our passing game will open up our running game. Bell will pound the ball on this overrated defense. Reggie, he remembers the hit all their fans brag about. REVENGE will be sweet. Reggie will bust a long one.

It's funny, Eagles' fans only remember the hit Reggie took, Saints' fans remember the playoff victory :ezbill:
<script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

I think we'll actually run more than you think. The Eagles will be trying to blitz us and the way to slow that down is running the ball and screens/quick dump offs. You'll see a lot of 2 back sets whether its Bell and Bush or Bell and Evans in order to keep the Eagles off-balanced.

I think they will try and run more than they have in the past, but the Panthers, who get off the bus running the football, managed only 86 yards against the Eagles. The Saints will run to keep the Eagles honest and open up play-action, but I would be surprised if they have great success against the Eagles' D.

So I was just wondering. If we had this 'terrible' running game for the last two years. How is it that it seems to have improved so much this season ?

Is it because we've been running Bell a lot ? (maybe P.T. or Hamilton as well?)
Or is it because we've been watching pre-season football and then we played Detroit last week ?

I'm just curious what others think.
I remember hearing at some point that the offensive front line was reported as saying they have a certain amount of confidence when Bell is in the huddle as far as that goes... So is Bell just that good, or has the front line learned how to run block ?

:gosaints:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom