Running Game Woes and the Answer (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Saints must get the running game going to win big in December/January. Neither Bush nor Deuce has been very effective since the Eagles game. The O-line does really well in pass protection, but in the running game they are not moving well off the ball.

Coach Peyton knows this which is why during the 1st quarter of the season the Saints ran alot of misdirection scheme base running plays. Using bush as a decoy opened alot of holes for number 26.

However this league is a league of adjustments teams have scouted and are beginning to stay home on those plays, shadowing Bush with a safety. Peyton has done a great job setting up the rest of the season. To win later Brees must have some big games, which will help the running game later. He knows that the o line does not do a good job in there run blocking schemes. So set the run up with the pass. Brilliant I say Brilliant.

In the Off Season I would like to see the Saints experiment with the Zone Blocking running Scheme. Warrick Dunn and Atlanta have done a great job with it. Designed for a running back to make the big play with the cut back Reggie would simply go crazy.

You're fogetting that Reggie hasn't been cutting it back and instead is trying to bounce it outside. No matter what blocking scheme the O line uses, Reggie needs to become a more patient runner and start looking for the cutback lanes.

You're fogetting that Reggie hasn't been cutting it back and instead is trying to bounce it outside. No matter what blocking scheme the O line uses, Reggie needs to become a more patient runner and start looking for the cutback lanes.

Reggie is a hyper player, believe me if he sees a big lane he'll take it and so will Deuce. Problem with Reggie is bouncing to outside as you guys say, but the reason he is bouncing to the outside is not because he wants the edge, it's because he doesn't want a 2 yard run which is what this line seems to be giving...he wants a 5+ every time. This is fixable and I'm sure the Payton will help him here. We just need to get more creative with the o-line blocking schemes and practice it hard.

It also doesn't help when you're playing the Ravens and Bucs. No one wants to tip their hats to those guys, but both of those teams have great front 7s.

actually i think deuce is less healthy than they are leading on, either the hammy or the knee. i doubt payton is just not thinking of giving him the ball...

I think it's pretty clear that up to this point, defenses have been gearing up to stop the run when they play the Saints, and Brees is making them pay. That's all that matters.

Running the ball is important obviously, but if teams are going to take that away from us, and we have a QB that can make them pay, why does it matter that we can't run it effectively?

Our offense has been able to move the ball against anyone, and it seems like when we protect the ball, we win the football game, so the lack of the running game isn't a huge concern yet.

We still have half of a season to play. We will see how defenses decide to play us from here on out, and then we can make a better assessment of our running game.

No im not forgetting, lol don't allow the media to show two plays and tell you Reggie needs to cut back and get up the field the guy avg 10 carries per game. Rookie players need reps to get the NFL Rythm, especially running backings, Behind the center he is not getting the reps.

I think it's pretty clear that up to this point, defenses have been gearing up to stop the run when they play the Saints, and Brees is making them pay. That's all that matters.

Running the ball is important obviously, but if teams are going to take that away from us, and we have a QB that can make them pay, why does it matter that we can't run it effectively?

Our offense has been able to move the ball against anyone, and it seems like when we protect the ball, we win the football game, so the lack of the running game isn't a huge concern yet.

We still have half of a season to play. We will see how defenses decide to play us from here on out, and then we can make a better assessment of our running game.

The lack of not having a run game is a big concern
at all times and the quickest you can get a runing
game going the the better it is!

I know this is jumping ahead, a running game may not be important now, but it will be huge during the stretch run for the playoffs and in the playoffs. I'm still trying to get handle on is Duece's injury situation. Is he hurting or not? I've seen no official reporting about any injury, but many here have commented that his knee and/or hammy has been limiting him. Does this explain why he hasn't been getting the ball much? Has his knee been a problem all season or just more recently?

The lack of not having a run game is a big concern
at all times and the quickest you can get a runing
game going the the better it is!

It matters if it's causing your team to not be able to move the football, but we have been able to move it all season. I wouldn't say it's a big concern just yet. We're 6-2 and our offense has been the main reason for that.

Hey, I have a great idea! Let's tell the other teams to stop lining up in 8 man fronts. That should help us run better. :)

We also have two dinged up runnin backs. I truly do believe that payton is trying to lessen the load on deuce and bush to save them for later in the season.

Just wondering when we arte actually going to FAKE it to Duece and pitch it to Reggie on the end around??? The decoy only works if there is potential that they may actually get the ball................

I said at the beginning of the year, and continue to say, that Reggie is not gonna have big rushing numbers this year. Bush need's to time to adjust to NFL play. I know some of you are saying that Maroney has adjusted well, which is true but, he and Reggie are two different type runners. Reggie spent his whole career going outside. He could do it. It will take time for him to break the habit of immediately bouncing outside. He can make it in this league. Just ask Warrick Dunn. Reggie just has to re-learn his technique. It's habits that can be broken and with the right coaches, he will.

Just wondering when we arte actually going to FAKE it to Duece and pitch it to Reggie on the end around??? The decoy only works if there is potential that they may actually get the ball................

WOW!! Duece as the decoy to open it up for Bush? Only a coach of the year could think up that play!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom