Running into the kicker (1 Viewer)

Akers deserves an Oscar.

3dIrFx3.gif

looks like he was about to get his ankle rolled had he not moved his plant leg. I imagine that is pure instinct to move the plant leg to avoid serious injury. So if acting natural earns you an oscar.. Contrats Akers.

Am I the only one who thinks this call was BS?
It doesn't seem he even touched the kicker, much less run into him.
Looks as if he slid underneath him and the kicker just fell on top of him..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Ya, that was a sissy call. Technically I suppose it was, but I've seen no calls that were worse. Akers flopped, and so did the 9ers, and all is right with the world.

He HAD to lift the plant foot up to avoid getting it trashed. Reasonable. The call was the right one no matter what team you are in favor of.

Kris

If a batter barely avoids a pitch aimed right at his head, he's not awarded a hit by pitch. If a kicker is not contacted by a defender trying to block a kick, he shouldn't be awarded a penalty.

JMO.

I wont get into whether or not it should have been a flag,but akers did what he had to do to keep his plant leg from getting taken out. I don't even think he was flopping for a flag as much as he was trying to protect his plant leg.

If a batter barely avoids a pitch aimed right at his head, he's not awarded a hit by pitch. If a kicker is not contacted by a defender trying to block a kick, he shouldn't be awarded a penalty.

JMO.

if there was a penalty for pitching inside, you would be comparing to similar things. as it is, you equated two rules that are very much not the same.

akers is protected in that position.

if there was a penalty for pitching inside, you would be comparing to similar things. as it is, you equated two rules that are very much not the same.

akers is protected in that position.

I don't believe the rule states there is a penalty with no contact with the kicker. I may be wrong, but I've never seen it ruled that way.

I wont get into whether or not it should have been a flag,but akers did what he had to do to keep his plant leg from getting taken out. I don't even think he was flopping for a flag as much as he was trying to protect his plant leg.

I agree with that. But I don't think a penalty should be called unless there is contact with the kicker. The kicker falling on top of the attempted blocker shouldn't be a penalty. I've seen worse not called anything.

Well that pretty much sums it up.Now we just need to see consistent application of the rule.

looks like a penalty to me.

#23's right hand made contact with Akers landing leg.

Attachments

• yep.JPG
    yep.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 50
Well that pretty much sums it up.Now we just need to see consistent application of the rule.

Well, I was wrong about the rule, but, exactly what you said. I've seen worse not called, so the rule should be uniformly enforced.

Am I the only one who thinks this call was BS?
It doesn't seem he even touched the kicker, much less run into him.
Looks as if he slid underneath him and the kicker just fell on top of him..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

I was screaming the same thing!

I've seen worse hits to the kicker uncalled. Then the idiot announcer said he thought it should be 15 yards. My wife had to restrain me from throwing my cheese dip at our big screen LOL.

Well, I was wrong about the rule, but, exactly what you said. I've seen worse not called, so the rule should be uniformly enforced.

youre never going to get 100% across a wide range of crews, games, years, etc.... the nfl has not been as bad as fans give credit for in this regard though.

often fans not understanding the subtleties of the rule (often the fault of announcers explaining it incorrectly) is the culprit of the bad calls we think we see

sometimes its the ref having a hard angle to make a real time call, sometimes its our memories serving us poorly (i know i remember things as being terrible calls then see the replay later and realize it wasnt near as bad)...

generally i think this is not a rule that is terribly applied or fit to complain about uneven enforcement of, even if there have been misses before. theres not a lot of wiggle room like there is with 2 different guys calling pass interference for instance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom