Running up score? (1 Viewer)

Yea i agree with the poster who said their defense quit on them in that drive. Number 20 for the falcons clearly was jogging and let devery get behind him. He was feeling sorry for himself while devery padded his already fat stats.

the Falcons were still trying to make plays on defense so why would the Saints have to stop trying to make plays on offense

I can't think of a better team that deserves to have it run up on them.

It never crossed my mind. We were playing football, and there was enough time left for some throws to Crumpler and some runs by Vick to catch up or even take the lead with just 11 points. We did what good teams do.... closed the game, and put them away.

Let them remember it ---> many of them probably won't be wearing those clucking jerseys next year anyway.

...They seem to think that when we threw to Devery with around two minutes to go we should have just killed the clock. I thought it was just a way off putting the game away for sure. ...
Reg

It was 3rd and 7 with over 3 minutes to go, and we were only up by 2 scores. Anything could have happened if they had held and we had to punt at that point.

3-7-NO45 (3:16) D.Brees pass deep right to D.Henderson to ATL 9 for 46 yards (A.Rossum).

It's a silly claim.

Brees hit Devery deep, converting on a third down with over 3 minutes to go in the game and protecting an 11 point lead. Atlanta had called timeouts on the previous two plays, obviously wanting the ball back and not yet ready to concede defeat. The Saints saw a chance to pick up the first and took it. What should they have done?

Beyond that, you could just as easily claim that Atlanta quit with the Saints in scoring position. A handoff to the RB hardly cries out, "running up the score."

I seem to remember Payton kneeling the ball and punting back to TB with 30 seconds left in the game rather than attempting to score when the game was out of reach. This is nothing but commentators talking without knowing the whole story. Vick has the threat to score on any touch of the ball and if we had to give them the ball back it could easily have been Atl stealing the game in the end. That wasn't a run up, it was sealing the win!

When Payton was in the same position against the Bucs he did not "run up the score". I saw a lot of punches being thrown at the bottom of the pile buy the Falcons. Also saw a lot of finger wagging and trash talking buy the Falcons. I don't think Payton cared one bit if he hurt the Falcons feelings at the end since they did their very best to hurt ours the first 3 quarters.

maybe the falcon fans thought since vick can only really take their team down the field running the ball, they must of thought that the saints had the game won already since there wasn't enough time for the falcons to run the ball down the field twice to score. so maybe that's why they think the saints ran the score up

The bottom line is who kneels the ball with almost 4 minutes left on the clock... i am glad that they scored again... because it put the game away for sure... the giants should have scored again... and because they didnt... they lost their game in the fourth quarter even though they were winning by 21

Everyone knows that the Dirty Birds don't like us and we don't like them. I wouldn't have cared if we ran up 60 pts on them. In fact, I would have loved that even more.

Those were some sorry commentators that little about the Saints vs. Falcons rival. Let's not forget, they reduced the number of tickets given to us so that we wouldn't be able to bring as many fans to Atl.

I just wished I was there so I could have second lined around the GA Dome.

:hahahaha:

Yesterday at the end of the game when Deuce scored, the fox announcers said the falcons would remember this for next year. They seem to think that when we threw to Devery with around two minutes to go we should have just killed the clock. I thought it was just a way off putting the game away for sure. I think also that points are in tie breaking formula too.
I dought that Payton cares what they think, i know i dont.
Reg

That was annoying. I'm not one to say the announcers were one-sided or cheering for a team because, for the most part, it always seems like that when you're on the losing end of a score. But there were definite overtones of disappointment when we put the game away.

The long pass to Devery was a great call. A safe pass that, even if intercepted, acts as a punt. They were selling out for the run and were burned. The Deuce td, well, unless he purposely takes a knee, he has to score.

Payton isn't one to run up a score. Against the Bucs, we were inside their 10 yard line and took a knee even when it wouldn't completely run out the clock.

maybe the falcon fans thought since vick can only really take their team down the field running the ball, they must of thought that the saints had the game won already since there wasn't enough time for the falcons to run the ball down the field twice to score. so maybe that's why they think the saints ran the score up

Odds are heavily against it, but an 11 point lead is not insurmountable with a couple of minutes left in a game.

Observers can nitpick whether the Saints should have looked deep to Henderson, but you make the play that keeps the chains moving. Who can really fault the Saints for striking deep and not only getting a new set of downs, but moving the ball that far down the field? It worked, so it was the right call. After that, I'm sure the Saints would have been content to keep the ball on the ground and kill as much clock as possible. The td run just nailed the coffin shut.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom