Rush Limbaugh has advanced cancer [Thread Closed] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the years Rush Limbaugh raised some 50 to 60 million dollars in cancer research, treatment, and care donations, with probably about half being his own money. When you say Limbaugh never showed compassion for anyone, you are not really being honest. He is a broadcaster and pot stirrer, and he is politically right leaning, so there are lines to be drawn and worldviews to support and oppose. If you are on the other side of the political or social spectrum you may have your own disdain for him, but I think you couldn't prove your assertions about him being compassionless and full of disdain if you had to.

This is the way I see it.

I don't care what his views are in this scenario. I really don't care, but I do completely disagree with him.

What I base my thoughts on is irony.

He is a scumbag of the highest order. He made his considerable fortune by being a hateful, lying, pot-stirring, pottyhead.

All the charity work doesn't excuse him from profiting off of causing conflict and strife. He has torn apart our civil nation for decades all for his own financial benefit. He has lied, misled, and sowed the seeds of discord among a gullible and terrified segment and given rise to much of our country's current lack of civility.

He is an hypocrite who profits off of the misery and fear of others.

If there is a Christian God, I trust he will judge him accordingly. In the meantime, far be it from me to pretend to be the type of hypocrite that might care.

Not a fan of Rush... but way to many people here seem sort of happy about this news... Which is kind of sick if I am being honest...

Sure, you may have disagreed with his politics, views, or platform message... Sure, he may not have been a great person.... Heck, he may have been a complete waste of human space in your mind...

But the near gloating here for someone that was just diagnosed terminal... and the comparisons/rationalizations to Mass Murders and Sexual predators is pretty sad, petty, and out of line honestly...

This is probably one of those times that.... if you have nothing nice to say... you probably should just keep it to yourself... JMO
Yep....it's been a pretty disappointing thread

But again, cancer doesn't care about all that. It will kill you just the same if it's of the terminal variety. It's not a reward or punishment. It is what it is and does what it does.

The rest of it is politics and we tend to avoid that in the EE.
I believe you are being naïve.

Care to elaborate?
This is a thread about a political person. Of course there will be political discussion.

Rush indirectly killed people with his constant opposition to healthcare reform. He chose party and profit over country and humanity.

Everyone is going to die. He's no different. I've come to grips with my own mortality enough to know I too shall face it. All I ask for myself and any decent human is that healthcare is commissioned around helping people and not profits. That preventable or accidental things which happen are covered and people can live long enough to fight cancer or heart disease etc. which finally win the battle.

Things he stood for and talked about have contributed greatly to where our healthcare system is able to put a premium on people lives and some corporate board room is now the death panel his ilk warns of with a government system. For that, I think my comments are on point about healthcare being a reward to citizens who play the corporate game well and a punishment for those who don't.

This is a thread about a political person. Of course there will be political discussion.

Rush indirectly killed people with his constant opposition to healthcare reform. He chose party and profit over country and humanity.

Everyone is going to die. He's no different. I've come to grips with my own mortality enough to know I too shall face it. All I ask for myself and any decent human is that healthcare is commissioned around helping people and not profits. That preventable or accidental things which happen are covered and people can live long enough to fight cancer or heart disease etc. which finally win the battle.

Things he stood for and talked about have contributed greatly to where our healthcare system is able to put a premium on people lives and some corporate board room is now the death panel his ilk warns of with a government system. For that, I think my comments are on point about healthcare being a reward to citizens who play the corporate game well and a punishment for those who don't.

The reason I stated what I said is because there's already a separate political forum for political discussions. I'll just say that if the discussion veers off into a political discussion the thread will end up moved or deleted. So no, it's not naive, it's just how it is on the EE.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about terminal cancer. It's not a reward or punishment for anything. It is what it is...near certain death. And the carnage it leaves behind on families of those suffering.

The rest can be discussed in a political forum.

Last edited:
Tapxe, post: 7941456, member: 535"]
I believe you are being naïve.
i would love to say you are right, and for many reasons, you are.

my issue is that, i can't justify putting his family through the rigors of an idiots fault at life.

i would love to say you are right, and for many reasons, you are.

my issue is that, i can't justify putting his family through the rigors of an idiots fault at life.
His family will be fine on the other side of this. They have enough money to not go bankrupt fighting this disease. Not very many other people in this country have that. They should, but they don't and I hold him partially responsible.

Death is inevitable and the only way you don't get to deal with the death of family is if you are the one to die.

The only difference in them and us is that they can afford better treatment and won't have to die early from something treatable or go bankrupt trying.

The reason I stated what I said is because there's already a separate political forum for political discussions. I'll just say that if the discussion veers off into a political discussion the thread will end up moved or deleted. So no, it's not naive, it's just how it is on the EE.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about terminal cancer. It's not a reward or punishment for anything. It is what it is...near certain death. And the carnage it leaves behind on families of those suffering.

The rest can be discussed in a political forum.

It's karma.

The Christian God tells us in Galatians that we shall reap what we sow or something like that.

I think it's apropos.

Death is inevitable and the only way you don't get to deal with the death of family is if you are the one to die.

Whoa, whoa, whoa....just whoa. Believe me, if you're dying or have been told you're dying you will deal with death and dealing with your own death is a far different horse than dealing with a death in your family.

I guess all of this has touched a nerve with me, being a Stage IV lung cancer survivor. My heart goes out to anyone who is diagnosed with Stage IV cancer of any type. I know what they and their family are dealing with and I know what they and their family are getting ready to go through. Many of you have been in this spot, either diagnosed with a disease or being part of a family who has someone who has been diagnosed with a disease.

None of us deserve it, no matter what or who we are.

I am going to have to say something now that I never thought I would have to say to this group of people. I grew up in an abusive household. An over-the-line, people should have been arrested abusive household. I don't think there is any need to go into any more detail, but it led to the following:

When my mother got sicker towards the last few years of her life I reveled in the "she is getting everything she deserves" camp. I allowed myself joy to witness her pain. She had not changed her habits, the demons that made her who she was had not changed. Hell, the night before she passed away I spoke with her on the phone and she was still trying to get her digs in. She didn't know she would pass just 24 hours later. When my Dad called me early on that Sunday morning and told me she had passed I did not shed a single tear. I could hear the heartbreak in my Daddy's voice, the love of his life (who had also abused him) was gone and I felt bad for him but didn't shed a tear.

How sad is that?

The honest to goodness truth of the matter is that she did not deserve to suffer and die any more than she deserved to have the demons swimming around her head. Regardless of the strength and vitriol the demons gave her she was still and should've always been, that sweet, beautiful, red-headed girl from East Texas with a big smile and a heart to match.

She deserved my forgiveness.

So, here is the deal with Rush - he does not deserve cancer any more than I deserved cancer or my mother deserved mental disease. Yes, his political views certainly don't align with mine, his abuse (and make no mistake, it is abuse) of minorities, women and others is nothing to be proud of. His unfailing devotion to a party who left him behind many years ago has not served him well. His attempts to keep himself relevant have made him into a caricature and he alone will have to pay the price for that when the time comes.

He does not deserve to suffer and die this way. He deserves our forgiveness, and if we cannot see that then that is on us.

But again, cancer doesn't care about all that. It will kill you just the same if it's of the terminal variety. It's not a reward or punishment. It is what it is and does what it does.

The rest of it is politics and we tend to avoid that in the EE.
I don’t disagree- but I want to push back a bit
In our noble attempts to be ‘civil’ we try to avoid divisive topics with as broad a ‘political ‘ label as possible
racism, homophobia, xenophobia, misogyny, et al get labeled ‘political’ right away even if the topic is something like 85% cultural/social and 15% governmental

Rush (and Roger Ailes) brought an entertainment model to news ( like WWE meets Maury Povich - actually Morton Downey, Jr is probably the model applied)
Rush should not be considered a ‘political’ commentator - his intent was to poop in the cultural/social punchbowl

We do a disservice to cultural social discussions when we label them ‘political’

All that being said, I do agre with the overall assessment that disease is not a punishment- that gives legitimacy to the notion that AIDS or Katrina were punishments which is asinine

Whoa, whoa, whoa....just whoa. Believe me, if you're dying or have been told you're dying you will deal with death and dealing with your own death is a far different horse than dealing with a death in your family.

I guess all of this has touched a nerve with me, being a Stage IV lung cancer survivor. My heart goes out to anyone who is diagnosed with Stage IV cancer of any type. I know what they and their family are dealing with and I know what they and their family are getting ready to go through. Many of you have been in this spot, either diagnosed with a disease or being part of a family who has someone who has been diagnosed with a disease.

None of us deserve it, no matter what or who we are.

I am going to have to say something now that I never thought I would have to say to this group of people. I grew up in an abusive household. An over-the-line, people should have been arrested abusive household. I don't think there is any need to go into any more detail, but it led to the following:

When my mother got sicker towards the last few years of her life I reveled in the "she is getting everything she deserves" camp. I allowed myself joy to witness her pain. She had not changed her habits, the demons that made her who she was had not changed. Hell, the night before she passed away I spoke with her on the phone and she was still trying to get her digs in. She didn't know she would pass just 24 hours later. When my Dad called me early on that Sunday morning and told me she had passed I did not shed a single tear. I could hear the heartbreak in my Daddy's voice, the love of his life (who had also abused him) was gone and I felt bad for him but didn't shed a tear.

How sad is that?

The honest to goodness truth of the matter is that she did not deserve to suffer and die any more than she deserved to have the demons swimming around her head. Regardless of the strength and vitriol the demons gave her she was still and should've always been, that sweet, beautiful, red-headed girl from East Texas with a big smile and a heart to match.

She deserved my forgiveness.

So, here is the deal with Rush - he does not deserve cancer any more than I deserved cancer or my mother deserved mental disease. Yes, his political views certainly don't align with mine, his abuse (and make no mistake, it is abuse) of minorities, women and others is nothing to be proud of. His unfailing devotion to a party who left him behind many years ago has not served him well. His attempts to keep himself relevant have made him into a caricature and he alone will have to pay the price for that when the time comes.

He does not deserve to suffer and die this way. He deserves our forgiveness, and if we cannot see that then that is on us.

I've not had cancer, but I've had to sit and wonder what the test results will return on several suspicious finds between lumps on my throat, cysts discovered during imaging on both the liver and kidney. Thankfully, they all turned out to be insignificant compared to a malignant mass. That doesn't mean I didn't have a few months of wondering if this is it. You full well know how that feels I'm certain.

I don't think I've ever said he deserved cancer. I am not joyful that he has cancer. I do not have any schadenfreude for his suffering. I'm simply ok with him losing his influence. Is there a good way to die? Is there a method in which we can say, "Yay, they passed away!" I don't think there is. Regardless of if he deserves it or not, it is now his to handle and as I've said, at least he and his family have significant resources to fight and recover. He's never championed that for people less fortunate than himself. WWJD?

You deserve your own forgiveness. You deserve to forgive her for your own mental health. I know, because it wasn't until I could do that for myself that I was able to make peace with my own father. I don't think our early experiences with life are too different.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom