Rush Limbaugh has advanced cancer [Thread Closed] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it's not okay. In fact, it's pathetic. Again, it's part of the atmosphere that people like Limbaugh have brought us.

Make no mistake, I think Trump is a crass man who doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. Despite that, he is the President and the office should be accorded respect. Obama suffered a lot of disrespect when he served in the office and that wasn't okay. It's the same with Trump, no matter what we think of him personally.

As for turning the SOTU into a rally, that's the norm. Go back and watch any of them on record. Every President has done that in my memory.
I’d argue- strenuously, in fact- that it is not “the same”
While the 2 might have had a similar amount of vitriol hurled at them, it’s almost impossible to argue that Obama did anything to provoke that vitriol - and certainly no where close to what Trump has done

No, it's not okay. In fact, it's pathetic. Again, it's part of the atmosphere that people like Limbaugh have brought us.

Make no mistake, I think Trump is a crass man who doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut. Despite that, he is the President and the office should be accorded respect. Obama suffered a lot of disrespect when he served in the office and that wasn't okay. It's the same with Trump, no matter what we think of him personally.

As for turning the SOTU into a rally, that's the norm. Go back and watch any of them on record. Every President has done that in my memory.
Just because he has the office doesn’t mean he is automatically given respect. He has done nothing to earn respect.
And you can’t keep giving him excuses every time he goes off the rails during a speech. That SOTU was embarrassing.

Last edited:
I’d argue- strenuously, in fact- that it is not “the same”
While the 2 might have had a similar amount of vitriol hurled at them, it’s almost impossible to argue that Obama did anything to provoke that vitriol - and certainly no where close to what Trump has done

Narrator: He's more likely to win if he argues strenuously.

Thank you for sharing. I don't have the stomach to read more than a few comments on this thread. We live in an interesting time where many, if not most, deny or ignore anything more than what's in front of them yet desperately desire and demand cosmic levels of purity and justice. That's just not the way any of this works and will only lead to self destruction. The problem is we have no sense of humility in the face of ultimate justice and possess no mechanism for forgiveness.

That to me begins to explain the vitriol expressed for a dying man, rather than the hope that he might experience conversion and forgiveness. It's rather ugly and I can only hope that we all receive mercy upon examination of our own failings.
Respectfully I think you have it exactly backwards
It’s bc we were ‘handed’ these ambiguous, ever changing morals from??? that people can get away with saying/doing some very injurious things to others
((You can make a moral argument that group x should have dominion over group y bc a cosmic entity gave group x that power)(and saving that, if the injuring party is wrong, that wrong will be righted in some cosmic realm))

There is no ethical argument that ‘allows’ Rush to posit half the BS he spewed - he SHOULD have had an ethical comeuppance, but he was protected by ‘moral’ people

God bless the Onion.

One of the comments: "I feel sorry for the cancer trying to make a living inside that human **** bag. "

Savage

Now if sean hannity would contract something. Lol

I want to hear all the "raising the level of discourse" etc when Bernie finally dies and many others too... this thread is a perfect model on how to treat people we don't agree with or feel demonized by. somehow i doubt the same rules will apply tho.

Respectfully I think you have it exactly backwards
It’s bc we were ‘handed’ these ambiguous, ever changing morals from??? that people can get away with saying/doing some very injurious things to others
((You can make a moral argument that group x should have dominion over group y bc a cosmic entity gave group x that power)(and saving that, if the injuring party is wrong, that wrong will be righted in some cosmic realm))

There is no ethical argument that ‘allows’ Rush to posit half the BS he spewed - he SHOULD have had an ethical comeuppance, but he was protected by ‘moral’ people

Respectfully, the interpretation of morality and justice in terms of groups vs other groups is insufficient as an explanation of human experience and suffering.

I won't speak to what Rush does or does not deserve. I haven't listened to him since I was learning to drive on I-10 in my grandfather's car at 14 years old. We switched to Ozzy per my request and I was astonished that my grandfather agreed.

I want to hear all the "raising the level of discourse" etc when Bernie finally dies and many others too... this thread is a perfect model on how to treat people we don't agree with or feel demonized by. somehow i doubt the same rules will apply tho.

It wasn't an appropriate comment, agreed.

Well, Hitler and Pedophiles I can see, but wishing someone cancer just because they use their God given American right to free speech and dare to have a different political opinion? Not so much.

God given rights to free speech are not going to be much of an argument when God is sitting in judgment.

God given rights to free speech are not going to be much of an argument when God is sitting in judgment.

That's Gods job not mine. I dont care for Rush, never really listened to him. I cant even say there are groups of people that I dont wish death on, such as pedophiles, murders etc. Politicians I dont care for. I despise Pelosi for instance but I would never wish cancer on her. Rush has done some good things, he has done some bad things, but I guess I draw the line at wishing pain and suffering on him.

Growing up sucks. I believe one of the reasons I initially learned towards Republican was Michael J. Fox. His characters were always likeable etc. I continued leaning to the right as I grew older. Guns, hunting etc have always pushed my beliefs to the right. I have left leaning thoughts of course, abortion for instance. I dont believe in it, but I also dont believe it is my right to dictate what someone else does with their body. None of my business.

The sad thing is the decisiveness in this country. I lost friends when Scott Walker was running for governor. My wifes best friend for instance told her that she could no longer be around me because I supported Walker. I hate that. It is sad that politics divide us so strongly. When I was younger I dont remember it being this way. Maybe the rise of social media and everyone having a voice online for the world to see.

I am not sure where I meant for this post to go. Maybe just empathize and remember that golden rule, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Or something to that effect.

Well, Hitler and Pedophiles I can see, but wishing someone cancer just because they use their God given American right to free speech and dare to have a different political opinion? Not so much.
The constitution gives the rights
And it’s not a blanket right - just that people can’t be fired from govt jobs or likewise punished for expressing their thoughts
Free speech certainly does not mean freedom from consequence

That's Gods job not mine. I dont care for Rush, never really listened to him. I cant even say there are groups of people that I dont wish death on, such as pedophiles, murders etc. Politicians I dont care for. I despise Pelosi for instance but I would never wish cancer on her. Rush has done some good things, he has done some bad things, but I guess I draw the line at wishing pain and suffering on him.

Growing up sucks. I believe one of the reasons I initially learned towards Republican was Michael J. Fox. His characters were always likeable etc. I continued leaning to the right as I grew older. Guns, hunting etc have always pushed my beliefs to the right. I have left leaning thoughts of course, abortion for instance. I dont believe in it, but I also dont believe it is my right to dictate what someone else does with their body. None of my business.

The sad thing is the decisiveness in this country. I lost friends when Scott Walker was running for governor. My wifes best friend for instance told her that she could no longer be around me because I supported Walker. I hate that. It is sad that politics divide us so strongly. When I was younger I dont remember it being this way. Maybe the rise of social media and everyone having a voice online for the world to see.

I am not sure where I meant for this post to go. Maybe just empathize and remember that golden rule, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Or something to that effect.

Though we’re trying to inch back to such a time we aren’t anywhere close to police dogs and water cannons and beatings or even assassinations being the expected outcome of asking for equal rights

This reminds me of when Christopher Hitchens died of cancer in 2011. All the conservatives (probably including Rush) said the cancer was God's revenge for all the things Hitch wrote and said. Hitch replied, "then why didn't He kill me a long time ago before I wrote and said all those things" and dared them to go present the same causal theory in the childrens' cancer ward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom