Rush Limbaugh has advanced cancer [Thread Closed] (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I’m saying y’all are arguing your history backwards
The time that you say Semper is reminiscing about did not exist
When was this time time when people were more respectful about contrary philosophies and we did unto others from different tribes?
Is civility great no? Heck no?
Was it better ack then? Hella heck no

And I’m pretty sure the engine of our incivility now is that some people are being ‘strongly encouraged ‘ to be civil to a broader swath of people than they ever have before and they resent that allbto pieces

Maybe it was just me then. When I was younger maybe I just didnt follow politics much, or talk about it. Today people get physically assaulted for wearing a hat with their favorite saying from a president. I would never do that. I for instance love our flag. If someone tried to take mine there would be an issue. If my neighbor bought one and burned it, it's his money. I would believe he is an idiot but that's about it. I gave up 4 years of my life to this country. Not to defend just the parts I believe in, but all of it. Today too many people believe their opinion is the right one and if you dont agree with it you're a (insert your favorite phrase) for not agreeing. What happened to "to each his own." If you dont have anything nice to say then dont say anything.

And I’m saying y’all are arguing your history backwards
The time that you say Semper is reminiscing about did not exist
When was this time time when people were more respectful about contrary philosophies and we did unto others from different tribes?
Is civility great no? Heck no?
Was it better ack then? Hella heck no

And I’m pretty sure the engine of our incivility now is that some people are being ‘strongly encouraged ‘ to be civil to a broader swath of people than they ever have before and they resent that allbto pieces

Oh come on, you can't believe we're more civil now than we were 10/20/30 years ago? I can't recall when there was more vitriol between the left and right than it is in the last 3 years or so. I mean they weren't exchanging flowers or anything like that, but I want to say that they at least had intelligent conversations and it was well known that politicians on opposite sides were frequently friends and had cordial and disagreeable relationships. That doesn't really exist today as far as I know.

I think in some respects, it was better. In other respects, maybe not so much. But to feel like things could be better is a pretty human desire imo.

Oh come on, you can't believe we're more civil now than we were 10/20/30 years ago? I can't recall when there was more vitriol between the left and right than it is in the last 3 years or so. I mean they weren't exchanging flowers or anything like that, but I want to say that they at least had intelligent conversations and it was well known that politicians on opposite sides were frequently friends and had cordial and disagreeable relationships. That doesn't really exist today as far as I know.

I think in some respects, it was better. In other respects, maybe not so much. But to feel like things could be better is a pretty human desire imo.
Semper was talking about ‘in his youth’ (probably ‘80s or so)
The dogs/water cannons was obviously a reference to the 60s

The period you are talking about is the ‘backlash’ against being strongly encouraged toward civility
The incivility since Bush 2 was a broader reaction to PC that I alluded to
Tea Party days were a very fractious time
If anything it seems you and Semper are describing a time when the Left has finally said ‘enough’ we have to fight fire with fire

But here try this thought experiment
Jerry Falwell
Pat Robertson
Newt Gingrich
Roger Ailes
Pat Buchanan
Rush Limbaugh
Bill O’Reilly
Grover Norquist
Sean Hannity
Dick Cheney
Rep King (Iowa)
And Trump
Give me their left counterparts who xone anywhere close the the vitriol spewed by the above

I don't think that is entirely accurate.

During that timeframe was exactly when Rush was out there pushing his version of the world onto right wing listeners. There are extremists on both sides yes, but most of that is a result of people like Rush riling up the extreme right and pushing lies. Sooner or later, you are going to push people too far.

I know there are folks riling up the left, but I've not searched for them and they aren't getting enough coverage to be in my circle of influence. Rush was much more available.

Today people get physically assaulted for wearing a hat with their favorite saying from a president.

and in the past, people were hanged because of the color of their skin. They were dragged and beaten or burned because of who they were attracted to. People were denied the opportunity to own land or open a business or vote or buy a house in a certain neighborhood. People were punished - including physically - for speaking a language other than English. People were placed in internment camps for merely being from X.

For all of my seeming cynicism re: the contemporary, I think we've made HUGE strides. And I think we've done a better job than places like the UK and France, in a lot of respects. I know it probably seems like too often I'm focused on how far we have to go than how far we've come.

But I think it's really important to point out that the 'good ol' days' weren't actually all that good for a whole LOT of people.

I was asked this morning to facilitate a panel of black students at an assembly this Thursday as a part of Black History Month. They are going to share some pretty awful things about institutionalized racism. And yet, these stories are - comparatively - tame to a lot of what their grandparents had to endure.

I'm not sure, honestly, what sort of path forward, dialogically, there is if we get too fixated at how good things used to be as if it's some fixed absolute, connotative of the positive.

We get nostalgic about these things. But I think we often lose sight that the root of the very word "nostalgia" means pain.

That's Gods job not mine. I dont care for Rush, never really listened to him. I cant even say there are groups of people that I dont wish death on, such as pedophiles, murders etc. Politicians I dont care for. I despise Pelosi for instance but I would never wish cancer on her. Rush has done some good things, he has done some bad things, but I guess I draw the line at wishing pain and suffering on him.

Growing up sucks. I believe one of the reasons I initially learned towards Republican was Michael J. Fox. His characters were always likeable etc. I continued leaning to the right as I grew older. Guns, hunting etc have always pushed my beliefs to the right. I have left leaning thoughts of course, abortion for instance. I dont believe in it, but I also dont believe it is my right to dictate what someone else does with their body. None of The Impeachment Process Has Officially Begunmy business.

The sad thing is the decisiveness in this country. I lost friends when Scott Walker was running for governor. My wifes best friend for instance told her that she could no longer be around me because I supported Walker. I hate that. It is sad that politics divide us so strongly. When I was younger I dont remember it being this way. Maybe the rise of social media and everyone having a voice online for the world to see.

I am not sure where I meant for this post to go. Maybe just empathize and remember that golden rule, do unto others as you would have others do unto you. Or something to that effect.

I'm a born atheist. I don't care if someone's belief in God dictates they leave it to him to judge so I feel free to judge for myself. In my judgment, Rush Limbaugh is one of the worst living examples of humanity. Were he to suffer and die it wouldn't bother me a bit. Same as he wouldn't care a wit about me if I had the same because I'm a liberal in his mind. Screw him. I fight to provide for the poor and downtrodden and choose not to begrudge my taxes while he pretends as if social security will give way to a Christian Holocaust in order to sell soap and further enrich himself.

And Michael J Fox's character on FAMILY TIES was a caricature. It was a slap at Ayn Rand and the notion that economic decisions made using a capitalist calculus were tantamount to moral decisions. The 80s ethos of greed being good was a joke. Some people didn't get it. Others were sold a bill of goods that has proven very profitable for the rich owners of Republican politicians who have used it very well to convince conservatives of no or little means that their wealth is justified somehow by a notion of hard work.

You are right about abortion. It's none of your business or mine and that's the actual conservative position.

Last edited:
I'm a born atheist. I don't care if someone's belief in God dictates they leave it to him to judge so I feel free to judge for myself. In my judgment, Rush Limbaugh is one of the worst living examples of humanity. Were he to suffer and die it wouldn't bother me a bit. Same as he wouldn't care a wit about me if I had the same because I'm a liberal in his mind. Screw him. I fight to provide for the poor and downtrodden and choose not to begrudge my taxes while he pretends as if social security will give way to a Christian Holocaust in order to sell soap and further enrich himself.

And Michael J Fox's character on growing pains was a caricature. It was a slap at Ayn Rand and the notion that economic decisions made using a capitalist calculus were tantamount to moral decisions. The 80s ethos of greed being good was a joke. Some people didn't get it. Others were sold a bill of goods that has proven very profitable for the rich owners of Republican politicians who have used it very well to convince conservatives of no or little means that their wealth is justified somehow by a notion of hard work.

You are right about abortion. It's none of your business or mine and that's the actual conservative position.
*Family Ties

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc
and in the past, people were hanged because of the color of their skin. They were dragged and beaten or burned because of who they were attracted to. People were denied the opportunity to own land or open a business or vote or buy a house in a certain neighborhood. People were punished - including physically - for speaking a language other than English. People were placed in internment camps for merely being from X.

For all of my seeming cynicism re: the contemporary, I think we've made HUGE strides. And I think we've done a better job than places like the UK and France, in a lot of respects. I know it probably seems like too often I'm focused on how far we have to go than how far we've come.

But I think it's really important to point out that the 'good ol' days' weren't actually all that good for a whole LOT of people.

I was asked this morning to facilitate a panel of black students at an assembly this Thursday as a part of Black History Month. They are going to share some pretty awful things about institutionalized racism. And yet, these stories are - comparatively - tame to a lot of what their grandparents had to endure.

I'm not sure, honestly, what sort of path forward, dialogically, there is if we get too fixated at how good things used to be as if it's some fixed absolute, connotative of the positive.

We get nostalgic about these things. But I think we often lose sight that the root of the very word "nostalgia" means pain.

I dont mean the "good old days" I meant when I was younger and how I felt about the world. Obviously my memories are skewed, there are many things I was not exposed to that others were and vice versa. Let's just focus on politics maybe. It seemed to me that there were conversations and not just straight party line voting. For instance Romney is being crucified for voting against Trump and the Republican ticket. The right is afraid to vote with the Lefr and vice versa. We cant ever make good changes for this country based on what's best for the entire country.

I dont mean the "good old days" I meant when I was younger and how I felt about the world. Obviously my memories are skewed, there are many things I was not exposed to that others were and vice versa. Let's just focus on politics maybe. It seemed to me that there were conversations and not just straight party line voting. For instance Romney is being crucified for voting against Trump and the Republican ticket. The right is afraid to vote with the Lefr and vice versa. We cant ever make good changes for this country based on what's best for the entire country.

Rush has a big role in driving that wedge deep.

Well sure, but Rush not practicing the rule isn't what sets him apart as I explained earlier in the thread.
The exact one thing that does set him apart.

Hardly unique to him.
Case by case basis.

I've never been a fan of his. People get worked up over him for obvious reasons, but a lot of it seems over the top to me.
A large number of people agree with his vitriol.

If you want to feel sorry for Limbaugh, if you want to fell compassionate for Limbaugh, if you feel any respect for Limbaugh, go ahead, feel it. But that doesn't make you a better person, just a "holier than thou" person.

For my part, I don't feel sorry or compassionate for douchebags who spent a lifetime spewing vitriol and hate towards people, and profiting from it. But you do you, and I'll do me.

Well, Hitler and Pedophiles I can see, but wishing someone cancer just because they use their God given American right to free speech and dare to have a different political opinion? Not so much.
That's an extremely nice way of putting it, "different political opinion"... yeah...

That’s Newt Gingrich
His Contract wth America was designed not only to beat Dems but also any Rs who reached across the aisle
He brought in very young, unseasoned politicians and made sure ‘obstruction’ was way more valuable than ‘compromise ‘

I don't think the past injustices take away from the feeling of fear, anger or whatever other emotions are conjured up in today's experience whether in the political or social sphere. I don't think anyone here is comparing to 60+ years ago because few of us were alive then, let alone things that happened over a century ago. Certainly not forgotten, but I think our early life experiences however narrow or broad, give context to our discussions.

What I think about were when the Blue Dog mostly southern Democrats who attempted to steer the parties to the middle with some minor successes here and there and the well known friendships across the aisle colored my perception of respect they had for one another despite political differences. This is pretty much nonexistent today.

I see a similar change in my own family. My extended family is a mixed bag. Mostly conservative, but we have a number of liberals as well. Prior to say 5 years ago, we could talk politics fairly openly. These days, don't even think about broaching the topic. It's really changed our family dynamic in some significant ways. So in my experience, it's certainly worse now. But those experiences can vary greatly.

Which I why I often say to each his own. We all have to find our way forward in life.

Certainly the discourse has been headed this way for some time as gmr illustrated with his list. The Democrats aren't without their own shills, but I do tend to agree the right has controlled the narrative for years now and things have come to something of a reckoning with the current state of politics and social issues.

I guess I've made my point. And hope this isn't too far off the topic.

The exact one thing that does set him apart.

Case by case basis.

A large number of people agree with his vitriol.

If you want to feel sorry for Limbaugh, if you want to fell compassionate for Limbaugh, if you feel any respect for Limbaugh, go ahead, feel it. But that doesn't make you a better person, just a "holier than thou" person.

For my part, I don't feel sorry or compassionate for douchebags who spent a lifetime spewing vitriol and hate towards people, and profiting from it. But you do you, and I'll do me.

I'm not asking you to feel any certain way, nor do I expect you to. I haven't suggested anything like that in the thread. Just offering my own perspective, as you're offering yours. The "holier than thou" comment though...lmao. if that's what you get from people who offer a view of grace...ok. But that's not it at all, because neither I are anyone else here said we are holy, let alone holier than you. It just seem like a weird and unjustified reaction to my comments.

But, like you said. You do you and I'll do me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom