Russell Wilson is lucky (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely the favorite for MVP (I know, I know, it's Week 2). He is an amazing QB. One of my favorite non-Saints players and a great human. This post is not meant to be critical of him.

This post however is meant to make note of how proactive the media is being in handing him the MVP because he's never received a vote. Media loves a good narrative and they have already decided that the "Russ has never received an MVP vote so now this is his MVP season". You see it on the talk shows, Al and Collinsworth talked about it often during the game, Peter King did a feature today basically handing him the award.

Russell is "lucky" in the sense that the media never felt compelled to do a campaign like this for Drew. Drew is the victim of bad luck because he was always behind the (well deserved) golden boys Tom and Peyton, and any narrative he ever could have conjured up was always wiped away by the new shiny toy (Rodgers, Mahomes).

Russ will probably win MVP and he deserves it. It's just crazy how unlucky Drew has been that he's never gotten the "he deserves a MVP because we never gave him one" media push.

*Let me also note, our franchise is at fault too for wasting some of Drew's career years on 7-9 seasons and pathetic defenses.

AT this point, I would only like Drew to win an MVP just to spite the counter-argument that he never won one. This has to be the most-used rebuttal to why Drew isn't considered the GOAT or one of them. Another Superbowl would be big too. I think, after all these years watching Drew, it's just more about the argument than the legitimacy of the award for me.

That being said, I think Wilson is definitely worthy of recognition. I just wish those with the influence would be more objective instead of writing the narrative they want to play out all season long.

For sure Wilson is already coronated this year.

Brees lost his chance when the media decided the criteria they used in 2009 (yards/TDs instead of passer rating) wasn't the same criteria to use in 2011 (passer rating instead of yards/TDs). Sad.

Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, he is absolutely the favorite for MVP (I know, I know, it's Week 2). He is an amazing QB. One of my favorite non-Saints players and a great human. This post is not meant to be critical of him.

This post however is meant to make note of how proactive the media is being in handing him the MVP because he's never received a vote. Media loves a good narrative and they have already decided that the "Russ has never received an MVP vote so now this is his MVP season". You see it on the talk shows, Al and Collinsworth talked about it often during the game, Peter King did a feature today basically handing him the award.

Russell is "lucky" in the sense that the media never felt compelled to do a campaign like this for Drew. Drew is the victim of bad luck because he was always behind the (well deserved) golden boys Tom and Peyton, and any narrative he ever could have conjured up was always wiped away by the new shiny toy (Rodgers, Mahomes).

Russ will probably win MVP and he deserves it. It's just crazy how unlucky Drew has been that he's never gotten the "he deserves a MVP because we never gave him one" media push.

*Let me also note, our franchise is at fault too for wasting some of Drew's career years on 7-9 seasons and pathetic defenses.

In 2018, it seemed to me like the media had finally got on the Brees MVP train. But Mahomes had an insane year.

To be honest, Drew was widely favored by the media in 2018 to be the MVP. Then came the Dallas game where he looked awful and never seemed to get back on track for the rest of the season.
That's exactly right. Winning a MVP would be cool but winning another Super Bowl would put him in elite company that even guys like Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers aren't a part of.

Wilson is balling out and I’d love it if he were to win. I have always maintained that ever since the LOB’s end, RW has been Drew Brees 2.0. He is consistently great; carries the team on his back w/out all world talent at the skill position; comes off as a real kind soul without flash.

But everything you’re hearing now is also how Wilson’s year began last season and I believe the season before. The media talks him up in the first quarter of the season and then they get distracted by the shinny new QB’s doing Madden moves on the defense. I hope I’m wrong, but RW will eventually get overshadowed by someone else. Like Brees, he gets punished and downgraded for being consistently excellent. We’re so used to his wizardry that it’s taken for granted. It’s criminal that he’s never received even one vote.

That's exactly right. Winning a MVP would be cool but winning another Super Bowl would put him in elite company that even guys like Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers aren't a part of.
Give him another SB and another SB MVP then the media will realize how stupid they were.

How could a guy with 2 SB's and 2 SB's MVP's and own ALL the NFL QB records never won a league MVP?

Let that settle in on how dumb people will look if those are Brees career achievements when he retires.

In 2018, it seemed to me like the media had finally got on the Brees MVP train. But Mahomes had an insane year.

It wasn’t because Mahomes good year. Brees was getting the (we never gave him one, so this is his year) treatment, but when the offense disappeared after the Dallas game, they couldn’t give him the award when Mahomes was still slinging the ball everywhere right up to the end of the season.

If the offense had kept producing like they did before the Dallas game, Brees would have gotten it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom