Ruud cost Saints a 7th rounder (1 Viewer)

I thought we all knew this since training camp last year?

You knew this but failed to mention it in any of the 1500 mock drafts floating around here?

Come on.

Last it was reported was that the pick was conditional and that we cut Ruud soon enough to not lose the pick. (or something like that)

I think we'll definitely be seeing a veteran, maybe two, get traded for mid to late round picks this year. In this particular cash-strapped off-season, we'll really need to bring in more young, cheap talent onto the roster; five picks just ain't gonna get that done.

Im upset about any lost pick. We already are short on picks, no need to be giving any away for absolutely nothing.

A 7th round pick isnt hard to acquire. It really isn't a big deal to get another one. But if it makes you happy to be upset about it then fine.

I think we'll definitely be seeing a veteran, maybe two, get traded for mid to late round picks this year. In this particular cash-strapped off-season, we'll really need to bring in more young, cheap talent onto the roster; five picks just ain't gonna get that done.

If five picks won't get it done , seven won't get done either!

I wonder if this might mean more chance of Ivory being let go if a decent offer is on the table... :scratch:

If five picks won't get it done , seven won't get done either!

The draft is a crap shoot. If you hit pay dirt on even just half of your picks, you're doing well. 7 dice rolls is significantly better than 5.

The next time someone sugests trading a terrible player I guess we can't assume nobody would trade for him.

Wow, these are the type of things that will have us screwed once Drew is retired. Yeah, it's only a seventh round, but the point is we lost a pick. Teams that sustain success build through the draft. We rely on bringing in Veteran players because we are constantly failing to draft well. I know every pick will not be a hit, but we miss too much. All these years and not one defensive playmaker! It's a serious problem.

Our GM is a salary cap genius and not much of a football guy. It's showing with how we are building this team. Good offensive players because of Sean Payton. Getting veteran players because of Loomis' salary cap magic. Who is on top of these defensive moves? Someone has to be on top of the defensive scouts. FA or the draft has for the most part failed us defensively.

Colston was only a 7th rounder.

Not saying its likely we would find a stud in the 7th like that again, but you never know.

Now we no for a fact we wont find a stud in the 7th because we gave one away for nothing.

Maybe we recoup something with compensatory picks, but thats doubtful.

Boy, this brought out the naysayers. Here's a list of the 7th round picks during the Loomis/Payton era:

2006-Marques Colston
2007-Marvin Mitchell
2008-Adrian Arrington
2009- -
2010-Sean Canfield
2011-Nate Bussey
2012-Marcel Jones

After Colston, not much to write home about (although Arrington has given some posters plenty of material). I'm sure the conditional pick was based on playing time/games active, so they got rid of him once they saw he wasn't up to speed. I'm sure we'll survive this

Loomis made that trade during the exhibition season, after Chamberlain was lost and a day after Lofton and Hawthorne were nicked up. He agreed to the conditions of the pick.

There's your answer. This is how the Saints wound up with 5 running backs. When they moved up to get Ingram, they were coming off a year where they had to get running backs off the street even in the playoffs. When the players healed, voilá--too many running backs plus Travaris Cadet who was too promising to be cut. Vilma might be suspended and got hurt--get Lofton. Vilma comes back: what do we do now?

It's quite terrible that they lost their 7th rounder, actually. The team is aging and needs some young blood. Let's hope they can find some UDFAs. They have done exceptionally well at that.

Colston was only a 7th rounder.

Not saying its likely we would find a stud in the 7th like that again, but you never know.

Now we no for a fact we wont find a stud in the 7th because we gave one away for nothing.

Maybe we recoup something with compensatory picks, but thats doubtful.

That isn't the point at all. If we need a 7th rounder we can get a 7th rounder. People are making this a way bigger deal than it is. If we gave up a 3rd or 4th it would be totally different but come on a 7th?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom