Ruud cost Saints a 7th rounder (1 Viewer)

Boy, this brought out the naysayers. Here's a list of the 7th round picks during the Loomis/Payton era:

2006-Marques Colston
2007-Marvin Mitchell
2008-Adrian Arrington
2009- -
2010-Sean Canfield
2011-Nate Bussey
2012-Marcel Jones

After Colston, not much to write home about (although Arrington has given some posters plenty of material). I'm sure the conditional pick was based on playing time/games active, so they got rid of him once they saw he wasn't up to speed. I'm sure we'll survive this

I see a star player (Colston), a solid special teams contributor that started several games for us (Mitchell), a promising young WR that we were thisclose on hitting paydirt on but he just couldn't stay healthy (Arrington), and a player that practiced with the 1s last year and may very well start for us this year (Jones).

It sounds like nothing, but when you only have 53 roster spots, each player is valuable.

To those that say that any player we don't get in round 7 can just be signed as a UDFA, please keep in mind that while that is true, you'll also have 31 other teams trying to get said player.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have an extra 7th round pick to draft Adrian Foster a few years ago instead of trying to sign him as an UDFA, seeing him agree to come here and then subsequntly changing his mind to sign with Houston?

We can sugarcoat this all we want, but giving away any draft pick essentially for free, sucks. I said this before on the thread, but each draft pick is a roll of the dice, and it's good to have as many rolls as you possibly can get to increase your odds in hopes that you'll hit on maybe half of them. We just gave away a free dice roll on top of the one we already lost with the bounty penalty.

Draft picks and lots of them are how you build teams that last, everyone counts! You say it's just a seventh rounder, well we have the most consistent WR in the game that we picked up in the 7th round.

You never know which selections are going to be all-pro's and which are going to be busts, that's why the name of the game is quantity, not quality. The Patriots are always willing to trade down or trade top quality players on thier team for more draft picks. That's why they are consistently the best team over the last 10 or so years.

I'm a Colston fan and agree with your post, but come on man....:eyebrow: Colston has laid quite a few on the rug in recent years. If it's 1st quarter, I can't help but hold my breath when he makes a catch in traffic now...

Wow at Colston being the most consistent WR in the game.

^^^__------^^^^_____________

Flatlined

Boy, this brought out the naysayers. Here's a list of the 7th round picks during the Loomis/Payton era:

2006-Marques Colston
2007-Marvin Mitchell
2008-Adrian Arrington
2009- -
2010-Sean Canfield
2011-Nate Bussey
2012-Marcel Jones

After Colston, not much to write home about (although Arrington has given some posters plenty of material). I'm sure the conditional pick was based on playing time/games active, so they got rid of him once they saw he wasn't up to speed. I'm sure we'll survive this

Well, pretty sure our starting RT was also taken in the 7th, so thats two starters on one of the best offenses in the nfl taken in the 7th round. Nothing to sneeze at. And what i hear, the Vikings really want to resign M Mitchell so that wasnt a bad pick. I also wanted to take Burfict in the 7th last year and he ended up being the best LB on a playoff team. So dont underestimate the value of 7th rounders.

Quote:
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Moon

2006-Marques Colston
2007-Marvin Mitchell
2008-Adrian Arrington
2009- -
2010-Sean Canfield
2011-Nate Bussey
2012-Marcel Jones

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I see a star player (Colston), a solid special teams contributor that started several games for us (Mitchell), a promising young WR that we were thisclose on hitting paydirt on but he just couldn't stay healthy (Arrington), and a player that practiced with the 1s last year and may very well start for us this year (Jones).

It sounds like nothing, but when you only have 53 roster spots, each player is valuable.

To those that say that any player we don't get in round 7 can just be signed as a UDFA, please keep in mind that while that is true, you'll also have 31 other teams trying to get said player.

Wouldn't it have been nice to have an extra 7th round pick to draft Adrian Foster a few years ago instead of trying to sign him as an UDFA, seeing him agree to come here and then subsequntly changing his mind to sign with Houston?

We can sugarcoat this all we want, but giving away any draft pick essentially for free, sucks. I said this before on the thread, but each draft pick is a roll of the dice, and it's good to have as many rolls as you possibly can get to increase your odds in hopes that you'll hit on maybe half of them. We just gave away a free dice roll on top of the one we already lost with the bounty penalty.

I see Colston. The rest--please. The way the D was shaping up last year, it was a risk worth taking.

ive got to ask what all the people that are currently upset thought we traded for him? Do you think the seahawks accepted good will and friendship as trade bait?

what we just learned was it was the lowest amount of compensation possible - thats good news.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>For those wondering, Seattle has the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Saints">#Saints</a>' seventh-round pick via the NFL draft list. It comes from the Barrett Ruud trade.</p>&mdash; Larry Holder (@LarryHolder) <a href="https://twitter.com/LarryHolder/status/304678666061877249">February 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I do not understand why they even pondered trading for him. He was already known as someone that was pretty much done in the league. He probably would have been released by the Hawks anyway too.
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is what happens when you deal from a position of desperation. Our staff has to watch out as our situation is even worse now.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

2006-Marques Colston
2007-Marvin Mitchell
2008-Adrian Arrington
2009- -
2010-Sean Canfield
2011-Nate Bussey
2012-Marcel Jones

You forgot-
2006 - Zach Strief

ive got to ask what all the people that are currently upset thought we traded for him? Do you think the seahawks accepted good will and friendship as trade bait?

what we just learned was it was the lowest amount of compensation possible - thats good news.

I think many were holding out hope that we traded a conditional pick that went from a low round pick to no pick at all, based on him being off the roster by a certain date.

I think many were holding out hope that we traded a conditional pick that went from a low round pick to no pick at all, based on him being off the roster by a certain date.

ive got to ask when was the last time that happened?

is it even legal?

Praise Loomis!

At that time when we traded for Ruud we knew:

1) Chamberlain was out for the year
2) Hawthorne was hurt (1/2 season)
3) Lofton was hurt (he came back opening day)
4) Vilma was on PUP and 99% chance suspended for season
5) Humber was suspended for first 3 games
6) our starting and only healthy LBs were Shanle, Casillas, and Herring

So, if Loomis did nothing, he would have been judged pretty harshly too.

ive got to ask when was the last time that happened?

is it even legal?

Last year, ironically with the same team.

Report: Seahawks no longer owe Bucs' a draft pick for Kellen Winslow

The Seahawks acquired Kellen Winslow in May from Tampa Bay, trading the Bucs' a conditional seventh-round choice.

Well, one of the conditions of that choice was Winslow being on the Seahawks' roster, which he's currently not. If Seattle doesn't re-sign Winslow, the Seahawks won't owe the Bucs that pick, according to the above report from the Tampa Bay Times.

Report: Seahawks no longer owe Bucs' a draft pick for Kellen Winslow | Seahawks Blog | The Seattle Times

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom