Ruud cost Saints a 7th rounder (2 Viewers)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>For those wondering, Seattle has the <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Saints">#Saints</a>' seventh-round pick via the NFL draft list. It comes from the Barrett Ruud trade.</p>&mdash; Larry Holder (@LarryHolder) <a href="https://twitter.com/LarryHolder/status/304678666061877249">February 21, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I do not understand why they even pondered trading for him. He was already known as someone that was pretty much done in the league. He probably would have been released by the Hawks anyway too.
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

As good as Payton and Loomis have been, they have frittered away a lot of draft picks. The should be stockpiling them b/c developing draft picks is the way to maintain a top-caliber team, especially since it's generally cheaper to sign draft picks than FAs. Someone might say, well this was just a seventh rounder, but as we know from Colston there are diamonds in the rough in the late rounds, and in this case we gave away a draft pick for absolutely nothing.

I agree, we've ****** away too many picks. We're too free with them. Our success in UDFA has compensated, and maybe that's what gives them the confidence to be so free with trading mid/lower round picks away, but it's only going to get progressively harder to retain veterans from here on out, those draft picks are going to become increasingly valuable over the next few years,

Draft picks and lots of them are how you build teams that last, everyone counts! You say it's just a seventh rounder, well we have the most consistent WR in the game that we picked up in the 7th round.

You never know which selections are going to be all-pro's and which are going to be busts, that's why the name of the game is quantity, not quality. The Patriots are always willing to trade down or trade top quality players on thier team for more draft picks. That's why they are consistently the best team over the last 10 or so years.

Not really that big of a deal IMO.

"Yeah, we never do any good with the 7th round pick," said Colston.

With all the UDFA's we hurry to sign, why get ahead of the line by drafting in the 7th round?

My momma always told me "Nothing good every happens after 10 PM, or after the 6th round of the draft."

Why did we cut the guy? The Texans use the guy for three months and we lose a pick! Fantastic... :jpshakehead:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom