Ryan Clark and Mad Dog Get into a Shouting Match on If Michael Thomas is still Top 10 WR and Kupp a Future HOF (1 Viewer)

Mad Dog is actually kind of dialed down on High Heat, (MLBN) only thing that’s annoying is he opens the show with Yankees and Mets talk 90% of the time so it made me stop watching

Mad Dog is actually kind of dialed down on High Heat, (MLBN) only thing that’s annoying is he opens the show with Yankees and Mets talk 90% of the time so it made me stop watching
I lived in NY (well, CT) in the early 90s and listening to him and Francesa talk BASEBALL made me realize that sports radio talk could actually be really good and informative. What they're doing now bears no resemblance to what I heard back then.

Lol I can't even imagine how frustrating that must've been for Ryan Clark. Mad Dog screaming absurd hot takes that according to him aren't even debatable, that was classic.

If Kupp is a HoF right now, even if he never plays another snap, then Wes Welker should've walked in on the first ballot because before last year Kupp was a Great Value brand Welker.

One Ryan Clark is right in the historical relevance of Michael Thomas. Michael Thomas had the fourth most receiving yards ever in his first three seasons (3,787) only behind Moss, Beckham Jr. and AJ Green. Michael Thomas is 1st all time in number of receptions in his first three seasons at 321 with the next wide receiver being Jarvis Landry and OBJ tied at 288. Kupp is not in the top 20 on either of these lists with 196 receptions and 2,596 yards. This is completely relevant since without 2021 Kupp is not comparable at all.

If you take Kupp's best season (2021) minus 1 game since it was a 17 game season against Thomas (2019) the average per game was Thomas 9.31 / 108 yards / .56 TD Kupp 8.53 /114 yards / .94 TDS.

If you exclude Thomas' injured two years (other 3 years) against Kupp's other 4 years (Thomas has spent one more year in the league)

Kupp average 72 rec 892 yards 6 TDs
Thomas average 107 rec 1,262 yards 7.7 Tds

The other thing I was picking up in the background with Maddog's tone of voice and talking over was the subtext of a white wide receiver being given more credit than he deserves by a white commentator to a black commentator discussing a black skill possession player. I am not sure if anyone else was picking up on anything like that? Kupp is good but the stats do not lie and Clark was completely right in my view.

The overall point is Thomas has played at a hall of fame level when healthy. The past two years are unfortunate to his total career stats but should not say anything to his talent. I am happy he is back and I have a feeling all this doubt is only going to fuel the man Michael Jordan style.

Last edited:
This is where they've ranked in the top 50 yards receiving each year of their respective careers:

C Kupp:
2021- 1
2020- 22
2019- 9
2018- not ranked
2017- 24

M Thomas:
2021- not ranked
2020- not ranked
2019- 1
2018- 6
2017- 6
2016- 9

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom