Ryan Griffin QB (1 Viewer)

Sean Payton keep an eye on Tulane a few weeks ago Payton and Joe Montana was together watching Tulane practice. We'll most likely sign Griffin as a UDFA though, I wonder what's his completion percentage for 15 yards or more.

I really like Griffin and have him as my 8th rated QB prospect. He will likely go anywhere from the 5th to the 7th rounds.

8. Ryan Griffin, Tulane, 6’4 218lbs – rSR – 4.85. This 3 year starter had 245 completions out of 394 attempts (62.2) for 2,771 and 20 TDs to go with 11 INTs in 2012. In 2011, he had 227-408 (55.6)-2,501-13-10. He is easily the most underrated and the biggest sleeper prospect in this QB draft class. He is a three and a half year starter for a team that hasn’t won a lot of games. He hasn’t been surrounded by any real talent, but he seems to get better and better every single year. He has a lot of upside and tools. He has very good size and excellent toughness. He plays hard and tough – he doesn’t back down. He has absorbed a lot of hits throughout his career and is willing to play through pain. When I first put on his tape, I had low expectations, but his arm strength immediately stood out. He gets good to great zip on his passes, especially on the short and intermediate routes, and can really zing it in there. He has the arm strength and touch to be a very good deep ball thrower, but he also varies his speeds well. He throws soft dump off passes, and he generally throws a very catchable pass. He is a pretty good athlete who can buy time in the pocket and also make plays as a runner in the open field. He played in a somewhat simplistic offense, but he goes through his reads and progressions with his eyes. He has a good pump fake and can twist DBs around. He senses pressure pretty well and has good agility and strength for the position. He can stand in the pocket and take hits while getting rid of the ball. He possesses nice size to scan the field and is an accurate passer who exhibits nice touch on his underneath routes. He has a good sense of timing and can work through multiple progressions. He understands route combination concepts and can improvise. His quick release and arm strength allow him to throw accurately over the middle, across the field, or on the run (to his left and right). He is more athletic than I thought and he takes short choppy steps in traffic. He can really move within the pocket to find a passing lane and keep defenses honest by running for first downs. Playing in a wide-open spread, he has inconsistent footwork, and his delivery point is inconsistent. He doesn’t have a real over the top delivery and he gets passes batted down. Prior to 2012 (and sometimes during), he had inconsistent accuracy due to his varying delivery technique. Still acclimating to reading a defense from a passer standpoint. At times, he will get happy feet and throw inaccurately (or toss up a jump ball) off his back foot when under duress. He doesn’t have the speed to be considered a threat in the open field although he is athletic and quick. He struggled to perform at a consistently high level early in his career and was beaten up a lot. He lacks experience in a pro-style system after spending most of his time from the shotgun in the spread. He can make some good runs on occasion though. I came into watching him with a lot of doubt and came away very pleasantly surprised. He has a live arm, good athletic skills, an NFL body, and a great mind with a lot of upside. I doubt he goes before the 5th round and is more likely a 6th or 7th round pick, but he’s going to make some QB coach very happy. He’s a better prospect than Mike Glennon.

Nice post. Thx. I'd like to see him under Brees and SP for 3 years. That could be interesting. Didn't the 6'5" Brady go in the 5th or 6th rounds?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom