Ryan's scouting ability (1 Viewer)

Rob should just take the best safety in the draft.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0W2vFYz-1pE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0W2vFYz-1pE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Yup. Or this guy, who I think is every bit as good.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NpWdR8WhX6E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vaccaro doesn't seem like a ball hawk, just a great hitting safety.

For that I don't want to spend a high first round pick.

We could drop back 10 spots, Pick matt Elam who we can plug in as SS day 1, and net a 2nd round pick.

This will be Robs first stop where he is "the man" when it comes to building his defense. So we'll see.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0W2vFYz-1pE" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

I personally think Elam is the best Safety and most fiery. We would also have some direct insight from his brother Abe who played for Ryan @ two different stops.

Go and check Elams highlights and tell me if you wouldn't want him hitting Steve Smith like that.

Im going to get flamed for this but if you have the two worst starting safeties in the league and your former DB coach in Allen says that hes going to attack them when playing...that should ring a bell

We trade Roman Harper to the Titans for a 5th and a conditional 4th rounder, Draft Matt Elam to be his replacement, move Malcolm Jenkins back to Corner and Promote IAQ to starting FS. Sign Abram Elam to backup IAQ @ FS and resign Bush to backup Elam @ SS.

Everyone is saying Roman Harper fits Rob Ryans scheme to a T but the reality is he doesn't. The safeties in Ryans scheme are supposed to be interchangeable. Either or can be in the box or single high on any given play and the both have similar coverage abilities.

Weve seen IAQ perform on the Strong Side and the weak side

Elam is also capable of doing both.

We get two new starters and we let Malcolm go back to boundary corner and provide some extra depth there and give us a big body on the outside. If Rob Ryan can coach up Nnamdi and others then he should make Malcolm a good press corner.

The only time Malcolm looks bad@ corner is when gets beat when he misses the press. Especially on smaller WR. When he turns his head to run hes trying to play catch up and wont look for the ball. Therefore we should use him to press smaller guys @ the line less an if we do make sure he has safety help over the top immediately.

I think he can still play corner@ a high enough level to be on the boundary side.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0W2vFYz-1pE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

why are you posting a clip of vaccaro when youre taling about the best safety in the draft?

(i know he is considered the best, just dont have a clue why)

Its not only scouting ability, but teaching ability as well. Is not enough to find talent, the harder work is develop the talented players properly. With the change of the scheme, all related teachings of a 4&3 system has to be changed to the new 3&4 system.
DM Ware was pretty high on RR's teaching ability. I'm pretty sure he will be a good teacher here too.
I agree with this.

With all things being the same last year, if we only tackled better......would we still have had the worst defense in the league?

There's probably no way to know that, but my guess wold be no.

Vaccaro doesn't seem like a ball hawk, just a great hitting safety.

For that I don't want to spend a high first round pick.

We could drop back 10 spots, Pick matt Elam who we can plug in as SS day 1, and net a 2nd round pick.

From watching a couple of Vaccaro's games yesterday(vs Ok St and Oregon State), one thing immediately stands out - he's a significantly better athlete, in terms of both fluidity and speed, than either Jenkins or Harper.

He strikes me as a player that's going to be difficult for teams to scout and figure out where to play him. I watched just two games, but from the way he was used, you would think he was a slot corner and not a safety. Showed impressive coverage skills(mostly zone concepts, but looked good in man coverage as well).

Regarding where he would fit on the Saints defense - from what I watched, he never played further than around 8 yards from the LOS, so I don't think you'd necessarily want him as a single-high deep safety, though he certainly appears to have the athleticism to play there. I think he could be really effective in coverage against TE's, even moving to the slot, and I wouldn't be surprised if a team drafted him as a nickel corner. I saw some missed open field tackles, so don't know how good of a run defender he is.

I think he would be a really good pick if he makes it to 15(IMO he'll be gone when the Saints pick)- definitely better than Elam from the Florida games I've watched. Would be be an athletic presence at safety that you just don't get from Harper and Jenkins and better coverage skills than both. I'm interested to see whether Ryan and the rest of the coaches/scouts/front office would value player like Vaccaro over a pass rusher or defensive lineman.

One thing from the limited clips I've seen from Vaccaro is that he almost never misses a tackle out in the open field, he takes good angles on ball carriers, and tackles with good form wrapping them up.

I like that he can drop down in the box, and go back and play coverage.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom