S.I.: Drew Brees wants to win a championship in the worst way (1 Viewer)

CaliSaint4Life

Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Man, we are lucky to have the best QB/player in the NFL. This is a great article on Brees.
I looked and didn't see this posted. Hopefully it's not a repost.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/tim_layden/09/17/preview/index.html
His offseason was spent refining his play. Hidden in the big numbers are a hundred ways to lose a game. "I have to be even more efficient,'' says Brees. "I have to protect the football on every play, convert every third down, make plays in the red zone, know when it's OK to take a sack. And I have to put other guys in a position to make the best plays they cam make.''

Example of the latter: Late in the first quarter of the win over the Lions, the Saints were leading 14-3 and faced third-and-14 from their own 15. The Lions were hanging by a thread and Brees threw a rope to Devery Henderson in the curl zone, dead at the first-down markers. But after catching the ball, Henderson gave ground in an attempt to make a big play. He was swarmed by the pursuit and came up three yards short of the first down.

Brees immediately found Henderson the sideline. "In that situation, I know we've got four guys running right at the down marker,'' says Brees. "Dev catches that ball all he's got to do is fall backwards and we keep the drive going. He's got to know that. And I've got to make sure he knows it.'' The Lions stayed alive much too long last Sunday, when the Saints could have finished them numerous times.

Winners are never satisfied. That is what I like, they seek perfection. Awesome.

Drew Brees will probably make an EXCELLENT Head Coach in the NFL someday. I hope he stays with the Saints organization for a very VERY long time.

Winners are never satisfied. That is what I like, they seek perfection. Awesome.

Drew Brees will probably make an EXCELLENT Head Coach in the NFL someday. I hope he stays with the Saints organization for a very VERY long time.

It's still hard sometimes for me to wrap my brain around the fact that we have the QB and the best offense in the NFL.

The only thing missing now is the Lombardi trophy. Who knows, with a real running game again and real defense, we may just get our wish. :mwink:

Time for the rest of the team to step up their game and play with that winning attitude.

Brees had his throwing shoulder torn up on a tackle in the last game of the of '05 season in San Diego. Dr, James Andrews told me it was one of the worst shoulder injuries he'd ever seen. Brees later signed with New Orleans, one of only two teams that was interested.

Wow. Wonder how may other teams were aware "it was one of the worst shoulder injuries" the well-respected Dr Andrews had ever seen and passed? Either way, I'm glad it worked out for our Saints. WHODAT!

Maybe it's just me, but I wasn't overly impressed by the article. It started out OK, but the way the article ended didn't leave me with a "WOW" feeling about #9.

I dunno; oh well ...JMHO.

:gosaints:

But know this: Brees probably has to throw for 300 for the Saints to win, and his margin for error is minimal.

Not true (IMO). The three headed monster of Thomas, Bell, and Bush will make Drew more effecient. The yards will come from the WR's. He won't need to throw 6 TD's for us to win (except for the SB, throw 10 baby)

We've got the best player in the NFL playing for us in Drew Brees.

What a great read....bring on da Eagles!

:beerchug:

LOL. When do great players ever make great head coaches????

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom