Saban's money and college football (1 Viewer)

gboudx

Not trusting a big butt and a smile since 1990.
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So Nick got a guaranteed 8 yr, 32 million dollar contract, that includes 700k-800k bonuses for bowl appearances. This makes him the highest paid college coach, even though he's not the most successful college head coach. How will his contract affect coaches like Pete Carroll, Mack Brown, Jim Tressel, Lloyd Carr, and others from major programs that have had more success?

I would assume it would affect them positively.
Saban has managed to bring up coaches pay by himself. I am sure they love him right now.

What I meant more is that his contract raises the bar on contracts for college coaches. It might cost a lot more to hire a good coach to a big program. Which has a trickle-down effect to ticket prices. And these other coaches are going to want bigger contracts to stay. Or maybe I'm just rambling.

College is increasingly becoming a farm system for the NFL.

Anyone notice how few if any big time programs run any offensive systems that are unorthodox from an NFL perspective? That used to be the norm in college. Now, most college games look like an NFL game - just with kids who aren;t as good as professionals.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom