Sack Lunch: Examining the Special Traits of Nick Fairley (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nick-Fairley.jpg

Sack Lunch: Examining the Special Traits of Nick Fairley

By Jon Ledyard -- Inside the Pylon

Every Wednesday at noon EST, Jon Ledyard will be releasing a new installment that we are calling Sack Lunch. Each article will take a look at a particularly impressive pass-rushing performance from the past weekend’s games, highlighting techniques, moves, or athletic traits that brought each player success. In the first installment, Jon looks at the special traits of Nick Fairley, highlighting a sack against the Houston Texans.

When rookie Sheldon Rankins went down with a broken fibula this past week, Saints fans were once again forced to envision their much-maligned defense without a game-changing presence in the middle. Rankins, my 7th overall player in the draft, was drafted to give this Saints team an every-down presence who had the skill set to be dynamic against the run and the pass, something the team has been missing for several seasons now. With the Louisville product sidelined at least six weeks, the Saints are once again in the unenviable position of needing help on the interior defensive line.

However, a forgotten playmaker still exists on their roster in the form of former Lions and Rams defensive tackle Nick Fairley. Injuries, attitude / effort issues, and inconsistency have marred the talented defender’s up-and-down career, but when Fairley is locked in and focused on football, few can match his combination of explosive athleticism and eye-popping power.

MORE -- Inside the Pylon

Fairley is someone to get excited about for sure. If he can stay healthy and consistent, he's arguably the most talented player on our defense and can do a lot of damage.

I'm salivating over a potential mid-to-late season 3rd down pass rush combination of Edebali-Rankins-Fairley-Jordan.

Short article, but to the point. Very good read!

Fairley absolutely pwn'd that guard for the sack. It was a thing of beauty!

Watch the body language of that Texans' guard (in that .gif) after he gave up the sack. You could almost imagine him saying: "Dang, dang! My bad bro!" :ezbill:

:gosaints:

"Fairley has always had remarkable physical and athletic traits, but very seldom has he been able to reach his full potential on the field. If defensive coordinator Dennis Allen and head coach Sean Payton can find a way to consistently motivate the sixth-year defensive lineman, Fairley could be a significant contributor within a Saints’ scheme that adheres very well to his skill set."

With the Saints being his favorite team growing up, I think that has been motivating him to the level we have seen. I really think he wants to be here for a while. He has said this was his dream as a kid to play for the Saints in the dome.

If Fairly continues his play throughout the season he can look for a significant contract for the long term from our Saints.
I like very much what I have seen thus far from Fairly, and I am very excited to seeing his play production like it was when he was at Auburn. Now if we could get the same play from the Saints OL, then we can expect a very pleasant season.

I am surprised that anyone is surprised by this, the guy has been a beast throughout his short NFL career so far, he just hasn't had the right opportunity along with having injuries keep him from his potential. Having him on a one year prove it deal is the best thing for this Saints team.

I was disappointed to see Rankins injured and at the same time thrilled that we had Fairley in the fold. If he stays healthy we will be fine and even better when Rankins is healthy.

Whether its the line, linebackers or CBs, Good to finally have depth. Look forward to seeing what kind of chaos Edebali Davison Fairley and Jordan make together

I knew Fairley could be a force here. I think he was a top 10 DT on PFF last year even with his limited playing time which is definitely what he capable of here as well. Anyone remember the game when him and Suh completely owned our o-line when we played the Loins a while back? Might have been his rookie season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom