Sacks analysis of Falcons game from AJC (1 Viewer)

This guy is a Butt... Jason Butt, that is!

Seriously, I won't go into all the reasons I disagree with him, but I'll go into 2 things he writes:

#1, "With that slight lean, Hendrickson brought Ryan down in only 2.5 seconds, the quickest of the eight sacks." Next Gen Stats, the same source he uses for his Time to Throw for Matty Ice, shows Hendrickson's sack at 3.5 seconds - not 2.5 seconds.

IMG_20201124_094555_682.jpg

#2, "For the year, according to the NFL’s Next Gen Stats, Ryan has released the ball in an average of 2.9 seconds per pass." He is using this stat to support his position that all but a few sacks were coverage sacks. That time does not discount for all the designed screens, quick slant passes, etc. If he likes to look at Next Gen Stats (I do), he should have paid attention to this chart (it shows our D Line homesteading around Matty Ice):

IMG_20201124_095018_886.jpg

Good coverage was key to most of the sacks. There was a time, however, when even with good coverage the Saints D line couldn't buy a sack. What we are seeing with the Saints D is three units playing together and complementing each other. The coverage makes the pass rush better. The pass rush makes the coverage better. The LBs are taking away the passes to the flats and Davis is contributing significantly to the pass rush. It's all working in tandem now.

If they were mostly coverage sacks then I'm even more amazed. The New Orleans Saints have a Secondary that can cause coverage sacks. When was the last time that was said?

If your defense reaches 8 sacks then obviously the pass rush and the secondary were playing complementary football. If they are both doing their job then they feed off each other. Awesome performance. And we didn't even have Latt. Patrick Robinson filled in great.

Without reading the article, I thought most of the sacks come from great secondary play. Matt had plenty of times. The d line rattled him a bit and got him nervous, but because of the secondary hold its own, it gave the d line plenty of time to get to him. This is what I called complementary defense.

Good coverage was key to most of the sacks. There was a time, however, when even with good coverage the Saints D line couldn't buy a sack. What we are seeing with the Saints D is three units playing together and complementing each other. The coverage makes the pass rush better. The pass rush makes the coverage better. The LBs are taking away the passes to the flats and Davis is contributing significantly to the pass rush. It's all working in tandem now.

That's about as much as you can ask from a defense.

This is absolutely th best defense Sean Payton has had in his tenure with the Saints.

This is the best team in this whole 2017-present era.

Thats saying alot, bc every single one of those teams could have won a SB

Demario's sack leaped out to me as a coverage sack b/c Matt had to see him coming on the delayed blitz but he still held the ball. And as others have said, even some were coverage sacks, you still have to get there. Nobody can cover professional WRs indefinitely on a play.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom