Sacks Given Up By LTs (1 Viewer)

He's done a good job, but truth is truth...Brees has the best pocket mobility in the game...

I wouldn't say that he has the "best pocket mobility". There are guys like Roethlisberger that are better at that. However, what Roethlisberger doesn't have that Drew does is the smarts to go through his reads lightning fast and get rid of the ball. Thus the reason that Roethlisberger gets sacked all the time and Drew doesn't.

Not a knock on Drew at all, just a bit of an observation. Who needs mobility when you get the ball off lightning fast almost every time?

I wouldn't say that he has the "best pocket mobility". There are guys like Roethlisberger that are better at that. However, what Roethlisberger doesn't have that Drew does is the smarts to go through his reads lightning fast and get rid of the ball. Thus the reason that Roethlisberger gets sacked all the time and Drew doesn't.

Not a knock on Drew at all, just a bit of an observation. Who needs mobility when you get the ball off lightning fast almost every time?

I'd go with "pocket presence" as the descriptive term for what Brees has. And in that regard, I think he's got the best "pocket presence" since Marino, maybe ever.

In the past three years Brees has been sacked once every 40 drop backs. I seriously, seriously doubt you can find another QB in NFL history outside of Marino with that rate in a similiar period. Manning, for instance, is always lauded for his pocket presence, and his best stretch (2004 to 2006) had him getting sacked once every 35.25 times. That's 14% more then Brees.

Marino had the best run in NFL history though from 87 - 89. Once every 65 drop backs, which is ridiculous and probably won't be matched. It's also a bit of an aberration. Marino's career sack rate is about once every 40/41 dropbacks, which is about on par to what Brees is doing these days. Stats are a little skewed too though, I'm using http://www.databasefootball.com/players/playerpage.htm?ilkid=MARINDAN01 and somehow Marino has more fumbles then sacks. Which since he didn't exactly run the ball, seems implausible (10 fumbles the year he was sacked only 6 times).

Not to discredit this thread in any way but what the **** does that really matter?? Honestly the worst hits on QBs are not sacks. How many sacks a player has given up through game two means nothing to me. Bushrod held his own that is all that matters!!

Just one thing to keep in mind when using stats like this: Jason Peters gave up the most sacks by any LT in the NFL last year (13) and still made the Pro Bowl. They can be really misleading, so take it with a fine grain of salt.

Just my $0.02.

Just one thing to keep in mind when using stats like this: Jason Peters gave up the most sacks by any LT in the NFL last year (13) and still made the Pro Bowl. They can be really misleading, so take it with a fine grain of salt.

Just my $0.02.

Or take the Pro Bowl with a grain of salt.

By the way, just to cover my bases, I checked Brady's 2005 - 2007 stretch. Not even close. Once every 23.25 dropbacks. Not even in the same league as Brees in that aspect

Bushrod didn't allow that sack FWIW. Brees took 2 or 3 steps backward to where Bushrod had blocked the DE. Drew essentially ran into the sack.

I can confirm this. Drew checked into a play at the line that required a three step drop. He was supposed to hit the slant, the defense read it and he didn't force it. Unfortunately, it resulted in a sack, but at least no turnover.

Or take the Pro Bowl with a grain of salt.
Either way, the Eagles thought Peters was good enough to part with a first-rounder for him, even though he still wanted a new contract.

That has to count for something.

Either way, the Eagles thought Peters was good enough to part with a first-rounder for him, even though he still wanted a new contract.

That has to count for something.

The Eagles also signed Michael Vick and got rid of Brian Dawkins.

The Eagles also signed Michael Vick and got rid of Brian Dawkins.
I don't think it's a wise choice to criticize a personnel department that built a team which has gone to five NFC title games in eight years.

I don't think it's a wise choice to criticize a personnel department that built a team which has gone to five NFC title games in eight years.

That doesn't mean they haven't made many personnel mistakes recently. Stacy Andrews, Michael Vick, Jason Peters, Winston Justice. A lot of their success derives from getting several personnel moves correct 6-8 years ago and keeping them around.

That doesn't mean they haven't made many personnel mistakes recently. Stacy Andrews, Michael Vick, Jason Peters, Winston Justice. A lot of their success derives from getting several personnel moves correct 6-8 years ago and keeping them around.

Or Jim Johnson.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom