Sad day at work! (1 Viewer)

blackngoldmike

DTR
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Last Friday night, a Marine at my shop was charged with a DUI for blowing a .11 after a cop stopped him. His barracks roommate picked him up and brought him back to the barracks. After they arrived, the young Marine told his roommate that he was going to take a walk. He walked all the way to our shop, went to the fifth deck of the tower and jumped out of a window. He died yesterday after his parents decided to pull the plug.

There were no warning signs that said that this Marine was suicidal. In fact, aside from making the mistake of driving under the influence, he was an outstanding Marine. It sucks to see the shock in all of the junior Marines faces right now. It's hard to fathom what made him do it. I guess maybe because of the military reducing their numbers and so many people getting kicked out over mild offenses, maybe he thought that his career was over or something. This circumstance in particular kind of flies in the face of those suicide classes we have to take that tells us what to look for in someone who is suicidal.

Well anyway, I feel like crap and I'm praying for his family and the rest of our shop. These things take time I guess.

He was getting ready to go on his first tour. He recently picked up a qualification at work that would have assured him a good job once his contract was up. He was 23 years old.

He may simply have been one of those guys that screwed up and was afraid that his career was over. Maybe the DUI was indicative of another problem. Unfortunately some of his buddies may have seen the signs and , through no fault of their own, missed them completely. Sometimes we never get to know why.
When I was in the Air Force I knew a couple of guys that did it. Still don't know why nor did any of the other guys.
RIP

It is a shame! I can't blame the system, but guys are walking on eggshells right now because they are scared that their alarm clock won't go off in the morning and they'll be UA. People are getting kicked out for very minute infractions and aren't given chances to redeem themselves. 20 years from now, the Marine Corps is gonna be full of a bunch of Gunnies and Master Sergeants who have never so much as gotten a speeding ticket, making their stances tougher towards Marines who have made mistakes, thus, not allowing for Marines to learn from their mistakes and becoming better men and women.

It is a shame! I can't blame the system, but guys are walking on eggshells right now because they are scared that their alarm clock won't go off in the morning and they'll be UA. People are getting kicked out for very minute infractions and aren't given chances to redeem themselves. 20 years from now, the Marine Corps is gonna be full of a bunch of Gunnies and Master Sergeants who have never so much as gotten a speeding ticket, making their stances tougher towards Marines who have made mistakes, thus, not allowing for Marines to learn from their mistakes and becoming better men and women.
Nah, I don't think so. The services have all gone through this before and will do it again someday. Unfortunately, its the nature of the beast. This is like 92-93 all over again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom