Sad News--- "MCA" of The Beastie Boys reported dead at 47 (1 Viewer)

Terrible news. I will always regret never seeing them.

I can remember the very first time I ever heard the Beastie Boys. At a skate demo out at West End way back in the 1980s, Rocco and some other pro skaters were doing their thing to Brass Monkey. It's funny how I remember almost nothing of that day, I was probably 12 years old, except that song. Changed my musical world forever.

RIP.

RIP to a fantastic musician. They have about 3 or 4 cd's I keep in rotation on the playlist.

Man. Super devastating. I remember hanging out with a group of teenagers when I was around ten. They had recorded Paul Revere off the radio on a cassette. We listened over and over. Hanging out with those older kids before, I was already learning about led zeppelin and other classic rock groups. When one of em finally got the tape it blew my young mind to hear these guys sample and make lyrical references to led zep! It was the second tape I ever bought with my own money as a kid. The first was run dmc, raising hell. I listened to it so much I warped the tape!

When Pauls Boutique cane out it was over my head. I was actually disappointed. Keep in mind I was maybe 13. It was so different from license to ill that I just didn't get it. ( Much later in life I realized it's brilliance) I even missed Check Your Head too. At that point I was in high school and was into different stuff. It was probably about three years after Check Your Heads release when I was in college and a 40 of Ole E was present when my new buddy put in Check Your Head....... We had partaken in another mind altering substance (nothing heavy) and I was blown away. My life had changed at that point.

You see, I'm a drummer. Started in drumset but moved on to rudimental and marched DCI. At that particular point I really gave up on drumset and was in school studying music ed so I could teach high school drumlines. Something happened hanging out in my friends car getting toasted. I know MCA played bass but the grooves were so heavy that I got back into playing the kit again. It was almost overnight! That one record, among others, changed my life! I changed majors and got a degree in jazz performance on the drum kit and that's what brought me to nola.

In nola I played with members of the funky meters and neville brothers and toured the country with the brotherhood of groove. Obviously, I bought every record since Check Your Head and even a ton of bootlegs. I've seen them probably 5 times. I love the band. Always loved how they stayed so hip hop no matter what their age.

saw them open for run dmc
then next year they were the headliner
can't remember how many licensed to ill cassette i wore out

fight for your right to part this mortal coil

The first concert i ever saw was them and its still the best. License to Ill changed my life...literally.
Been listening to their music for the last couple of hours. Might be the first celebrity death thats really kind of hit me hard.

"M.C. for what I am and do
the A is for Adam and the lyrics true
so as pray and hope and the message is sent
and I am living in the dreams that I have dreamt"

RIP MCA

ok, so in the RnR HoF induction, Chuck D talked about the Beastie Boys influence on PE
and i have to say i'm still not seeing it
as i see if both PE and Beasties weren't effected by Run DMC so much but both kinda split the influence of Grand Master Flash/Furious Five (PE for content - Beasties for funk/party)

the only thing i can see is the idea of "clown prince" which might finally explain flavor flav, but it's kinda different beasties would take turns playing jester or fool in different songs - flav was mostly just hype man

now if Tribe Called Quest wants to say they were highly influenced then i'm all over that (As De La could say thy were more influenced by PE)

thoughts? Beasties' influence on PE?

ok, so in the RnR HoF induction, Chuck D talked about the Beastie Boys influence on PE
and i have to say i'm still not seeing it
as i see if both PE and Beasties weren't effected by Run DMC so much but both kinda split the influence of Grand Master Flash/Furious Five (PE for content - Beasties for funk/party)

the only thing i can see is the idea of "clown prince" which might finally explain flavor flav, but it's kinda different beasties would take turns playing jester or fool in different songs - flav was mostly just hype man

now if Tribe Called Quest wants to say they were highly influenced then i'm all over that (As De La could say thy were more influenced by PE)

thoughts? Beasties' influence on PE?

I didn't get what Chuck said either. I can't connect the dots on the influence, but honestly I wasn't as big a PE fan as Beastie.

i don't think an influence has to necessarily come through in an artists music

I didn't get what Chuck said either. I can't connect the dots on the influence, but honestly I wasn't as big a PE fan as Beastie.

I think Chuck D would be in a position to speak accurately about whether the Beastie Boys were a big influence. Are y'all saying you don't think he was being honest? Or you just don't hear it that strongly in the PE music?

IMO, the BBs first three albums especially (and particularly Paul's Boutique) influenced just about everybody. They were way ahead of the curve on sampling and other now-common studio tools in hip hop.

I think Chuck D would be in a position to speak accurately about whether the Beastie Boys were a big influence. Are y'all saying you don't think he was being honest? Or you just don't hear it that strongly in the PE music?

IMO, the BBs first three albums especially (and particularly Paul's Boutique) influenced just about everybody. They were way ahead of the curve on sampling and other now-common studio tools in hip hop.

no not saying he's lying at all, just saying i didn't see/hear it and was asking others to draw the lines
plus i'm not hearing alot of major studio work in either nation of millons or black planet (which would be the albums that beasties would have influenced) - PE was essentially Terminator X and the rappers

now if we wanna look a little later and say that without beasties, PE might never have collaborated with Anthrax, then sure but they were already way established

and superchuck the studio/sampling is why i brought up De La and Tribe b/c it's very clear that Ali Shaeed Muhammed and Prince Paul owe lots and lots to Beasties

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom